• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Markecho1

Markecho1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

can you put a heatin pad on low and put them on top of a piece of cardboard and dry them that way

#2 Grease65

Grease65

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:55 PM

In theory you want to get them as dry as possible with as little heat as possible. A fan on low (barely blowing on them) with them on cardboard is a great way to start the drying process, but to get them completely dry you will need a desiccant in a sealed chamber (like a Tupperware with a piece of screen to keep them off the desiccated if you are using it loose).
  • wharfrat and Equestrian like this

#3 RickG

RickG

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

In theory you want to get them as dry as possible with as little heat as possible. A fan on low (barely blowing on them) with them on cardboard is a great way to start the drying process, but to get them completely dry you will need a desiccant in a sealed chamber (like a Tupperware with a piece of screen to keep them off the desiccated if you are using it loose).

so my dehydrator isn’t good? It blows heat and drys them fast. I’m new to this, so just asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 Grease65

Grease65

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:40 PM

Dehydrator is ok as long as it's low heat. I had to take mine apart and modify it so that the heat wasn't functional (actually removed the heating all together and installed a new power supply in mine). But that is only really to to get them about 80% dry. To get "cracker dry" you must use a desiccant.

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:01 PM

Dehydrator is fine. Heat is fine. I don't crank it all the way up, but I don't always use the lowest setting either. It will get them cracker dry just fine. You don't need a dessicant with a dehydrator. You'll want a silica pack or two when you store them.

Fan drying doesn't have to be on low, just don't blow the mushrooms all around the room. If you're fan drying, you do need a real dessicant then, like Damp rid, in a closed dessicant chamber.
  • PJammer24, ilikethings, WalkingCatfish and 1 other like this

#6 NewMycoDisciple

NewMycoDisciple

Mycophiliac

• Banned Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:12 PM

If I were to diy a dehydrator what would its parameters need to be? Like max temp, airflow specifications

#7 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:31 PM

can you put a heatin pad on low and put them on top of a piece of cardboard and dry them that way

Probably not a good idea.

Cardboard would act as an insulator and the pad could burn up.

#8 elunicotomas

elunicotomas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:31 AM

I dried my first batch in a shoebox with silica gel at the bottom and the shrooms over paper towels and they got cracker dry in a  ciuple of days. (I have a fan but is  too strong it blows away everything)

#9 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,281 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:10 AM

In the past, I threw them in a closet with a dehumidifier and it would get them cracker dry in 36-48 hours... Since learning that heat is a non-issue and that oxidation is the psilocybin beaks down, I just use a dehydrator. Do try to keep the dehydrator at 140 degrees max but I am confident I could go higher... Just seems like the caps start to darken and lose the golden look when I do. 

#10 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,031 posts

Donator

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

If I were to diy a dehydrator what would its parameters need to be? Like max temp, airflow specifications

Don't over think it. I put a mesh file sorter thing in a box, spread my mushrooms out on it, and had a small desk fan blowing into the box and had damn near cracker dry mushrooms in a day. I did finish them in a desiccant chamber. I wouldn't add heat.
  • NewMycoDisciple likes this

#11 NewMycoDisciple

NewMycoDisciple

Mycophiliac

• Banned Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:03 PM

Don't over think it. I put a mesh file sorter thing in a box, spread my mushrooms out on it, and had a small desk fan blowing into the box and had damn near cracker dry mushrooms in a day. I did finish them in a desiccant chamber. I wouldn't add heat.

I've heard so many conflicting things about heat. Is there a thread or someone who can explain what temps the shrooms can handle?
  • firerat likes this

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

Its more of a time factor. You can batter and deep fry fresh without losing actives, but that's three minutes. You can simmer for tea for an hour.

The melting point for psilocybin is 195 C or 385 F. I'm not sure that melting equates to destroying.

Drying, the enemy is oxidation. The faster you get them cracker dry and sealed away, the better.

Now, when a debate starts on it, there's always a science nerd (or someone who just googled it) who'll pop in and say that heat speeds oxidation. That's true, but doesn't apply for our purposes hear. Drying, any drying slows oxidation, regardless of what heat is present.

Unless you live in the desert, without a dehydrator its going to take days to dry them. With a dehydrator, 8 hours and done.
  • elunicotomas and NewMycoDisciple like this

#13 NewMycoDisciple

NewMycoDisciple

Mycophiliac

• Banned Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:53 PM

Its more of a time factor. You can batter and deep fry fresh without losing actives, but that's three minutes. You can simmer for tea for an hour.
The melting point for psilocybin is 195 C or 385 F. I'm not sure that melting equates to destroying.
Drying, the enemy is oxidation. The faster you get them cracker dry and sealed away, the better.
Now, when a debate starts on it, there's always a science nerd (or someone who just googled it) who'll pop in and say that heat speeds oxidation. That's true, but doesn't apply for our purposes hear. Drying, any drying slows oxidation, regardless of what heat is present.
Unless you live in the desert, without a dehydrator its going to take days to dry them. With a dehydrator, 8 hours and done.

Your words carry a lot of weight with me. I always take your posts as gospel, you know your shit. Thanks for sharing

#14 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,866 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:00 AM

I've shredded my fruits enough to expose the innards of the "column" part of the fruit, put them on a cookie drying rack, and put that in front of the refrigerator fan discharge. The fridge blows warm air over the fruits and this will dry them as dry as they'll get in the open air in about 30 hours. After that I vacuum bag and freeze them. Works like a charm.

Light and heat are the enemy. Do what will get them dry and keep them out of the light as fast as possible and you've done what you can

Edited by pharmer, 12 June 2019 - 04:00 AM.

#15 SpawnOfStuntzii

SpawnOfStuntzii

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:15 PM

so curing cannabis with a flash cure (dropping humidity unless then 5 days) or temps beyond 65-68 results in a terribly bitter product that's full of chlorophyl flavors and doesn't allow terpenes/Thc to fully develop and can stress them off the plant.

Is there any carry over to mushrooms? i understand temps over 150 or whatever can boil off the psilo's. and they can be oxidized much like a trichrome.

What would be the downside to a longer dehydration process if done in a nitrogen/CO2 filled container?

Would there be any increases in terpene retention in a long slow cool dehydration?

are you more afraid of contamination in a long slow cure or degradation of potency?

After a Blast dry in a dehydrator would there be a benefit to nitrogen sealing the bags you store the dry product in?

does anyone have experience freeze drying?

do shrooms even have enough chemicals outside of the psilo's to care about this?

Noob nerd in the house!  :tinfoil:

#16 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:09 PM

Nothing carries over from cannabis. Not growing, drying or storage.

You can't really boil off at 150, but you don't really need to dehydrate higher than that.

Cracker dry and into an oxygen free environment in as short a time frame as possible.

#17 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:59 PM

I used to take a damp rid container completely apart , dump the damp rid in a zip lock while I cleaned the container, then I'd dump the damprid in the bottom ,put the center piece back in and put my fruit on top it would dry in 24 to 48 hrs .... I could fit about 250g wet in the container ... I'd dry it un front of a box fan for 24 hrs first though
I used to be afraid to use a dehydrator because of the heat , but now that's all I use and I've noticed no lost potency and it only takes a couple hrs ... my dehydrator only goes up to 145 tho

#18 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 590 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:41 PM

An important point learned the hard way - Plastic ziplock bags will not preserve your product from oxygen and humidity. They are LDPE and although they may appear air tight, they seem to exchange gases including water over a period of time. I have, many times, had well dried fruits that softened up in these bags. For the longest time I thought that perhaps they were just poorly dehydrated and that there must have been some internal moisture that equilibrated itself within the bag to cause loss of crispness. Then I tried putting some into mylar bags and this totally (so far anyway) prevents moisture transfer. I have a bunch of little silica bags that I put into the ziplocks but they eventually hydrate but keep moisture away for some time.

I also discovered this when I put some malt into some thick plastic bags from an opened container. Malt sugar is well known to be hygroscopic and turns into a brick or gooey mess. Well, the malt in the plastic did indeed turn into a blob of goo even with 30 gm silica in the bag! Meanwhile on inspecting the bag, it appeared air sealed.

So now, I do this:

• dehydrator dry on medium as per JKD comment
  • immediately put into mylar bag
  • add silica dessicant bags with indicator
  • Add O2 absorber (got a bag of these as well)
  • Flush with dry N2 - I wouldn't say this is a priority but I happen to have an N2 tank so why not

Any experience or thoughts on the LDPE baggies? They are not as good as you would think.

#19 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:31 AM

I have been drying by putting them in a mesh colander hung between two tubs. I put a desk fan beneath it, laying it's on it's back so it's blowing straight up underneath it. When the fan is running, I put a small ceramic heater a few feet away, pointed towards the colander and run it for an hour at a time, with at least a half hour off. I find this dries them to pretty much cracker dry in about a half a day. I then finish them off in a jar of dessicant, like DampRid. 

This is certainly not a high tech method, very atypical for me, but it works better than anything else I've tried. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!