• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:57 PM

I just ordered several syringes, including one of the ps mexicana Jalisco strain. I plan to inoc a LC with it right away, and also may just do a couple of pf cakes at the same time. Has anyone grown these out recently and have any tips to share?

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#2 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:50 PM

Pm sent
  • joeya likes this

#3 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:29 PM

P.mex jalisco needs lots of water and fresh air. They also need a thin cassing layer. If you make Pf cakes i would crumble and spawn to a thin cassed sub.

Does a US company have jalisco? 

• joeya likes this

#4 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

Thank you both for your tips. As I read further last night, I've also found that the prevailing favorite sub is millet for these, so that's what I will spawn to. I'm leaning towards straw as a sub, also based on reading more last night, but have time to adapt that. 

#5 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

It has been a few years since a grew them but i remember rye grass seed out preforming any other grains i tried for spawn. It was more expensive  but i remember continuing to buy it for that specie as well as other stone formers.

• joeya likes this

#6 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

This spring the Dollar General store had rye grass seed on sale ................forgot price but seemed fair no additives  . they seem to be out of stock now but check your local storew

• joeya likes this

#7 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

I could always try rye and millet for a side by side comparison. I did read a lot of people like rye for these also, so it would be worth it to see which works better for me. One thing I saw from a few sources is that these seemed to come up sterile, in other words, no spores produced. Do you recall if that was the case for you?

#8 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:52 AM

Some were light or had no spores but the majority were decent. The pic in my avatar was my most successful grow. I have to dig up the SD card that has all the pics... 

• joeya likes this

#9 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:57 AM

that looks like a heck of a flush on your profile pic!

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

Years back rye grass seed was the thing everybody used. Can be difficult to find these days. Lots of it out there for lawns, but most has fertilizers and/or weed killers and fungicides. Wal-Mart carries it in the spring, but only a small amount that often sells out quick. Any grain should work.
  • joeya likes this

#11 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:10 PM

I inoculated a jar of millet of 6-11, now one week later, it's about 30% colonized. I did not noc any rye, as I couldn't find any that I would trust not to have extraneous chemicals added.  I'll also start a LC in the next few days. Anyone have any comments on what LC recipe has worked for them? I've had good luck with MEA on cubes, but this is not a cube. 

#12 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:27 PM

I took the jar of millet I nocc'd back on June 11 and spawned to straw on Wednesday at an approximately 1:1 ratio. Already, there is mycelium growing on the surface of the straw and bits on the side as well. I'm keeping it on the top shelf of the closet, which is running about 78 degrees right now.  Once the straw is fully colonized, my plan right now is to case it at about a half inch with 50/50 coir verm. I may alter that reading through other threads, but for now that's what I'm targeting. If all goes well, I'm guessing that should be the middle of next week, but if I've learned anything, it's that I have to react to the mushrooms schedule, not expect them to meet mine. 

Will post pics when there is something worth showing. 

• bezevo and Thirdeyeplants like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!