• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:57 PM

I just ordered several syringes, including one of the ps mexicana Jalisco strain. I plan to inoc a LC with it right away, and also may just do a couple of pf cakes at the same time. Has anyone grown these out recently and have any tips to share?

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#2 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:50 PM

Pm sent
  • joeya likes this

#3 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:29 PM

P.mex jalisco needs lots of water and fresh air. They also need a thin cassing layer. If you make Pf cakes i would crumble and spawn to a thin cassed sub.

Does a US company have jalisco? 

• joeya likes this

#4 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

Thank you both for your tips. As I read further last night, I've also found that the prevailing favorite sub is millet for these, so that's what I will spawn to. I'm leaning towards straw as a sub, also based on reading more last night, but have time to adapt that. 

#5 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

It has been a few years since a grew them but i remember rye grass seed out preforming any other grains i tried for spawn. It was more expensive  but i remember continuing to buy it for that specie as well as other stone formers.

• joeya likes this

#6 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 592 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

This spring the Dollar General store had rye grass seed on sale ................forgot price but seemed fair no additives  . they seem to be out of stock now but check your local storew

• joeya likes this

#7 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

I could always try rye and millet for a side by side comparison. I did read a lot of people like rye for these also, so it would be worth it to see which works better for me. One thing I saw from a few sources is that these seemed to come up sterile, in other words, no spores produced. Do you recall if that was the case for you?

#8 ideaman

ideaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:52 AM

Some were light or had no spores but the majority were decent. The pic in my avatar was my most successful grow. I have to dig up the SD card that has all the pics... 

• joeya likes this

#9 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:57 AM

that looks like a heck of a flush on your profile pic!

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,257 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

Years back rye grass seed was the thing everybody used. Can be difficult to find these days. Lots of it out there for lawns, but most has fertilizers and/or weed killers and fungicides. Wal-Mart carries it in the spring, but only a small amount that often sells out quick. Any grain should work.
  • joeya likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!