5 replies to this topic

#1 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,835 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:27 PM

Wifey and I will be passing through them mid month.

I'd like to spend a couple days and nights looking around and taking pictures.

We'd be on I-40 so anything within an hour of I-40 would be ideal. We don't need fancy hotels, simple clean accomodations would be nice. And any recommendations of beautiful landscapes would be most welcome. Waterfalls, lakes, other iconic Smokies kind of photo ops.

pm if you'd rather not discuss it in the open forums.

thanks

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:11 AM

I lived in 'em for about 7 years. There are some truly stunning places, and many are off the beaten path and harder to get to than places I've been in the Rockies. And some are on the beaten path, too.

The Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest would be worth a stop, and if you are an avid hiker you can take it further and visit the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness, where you can find some of the biggest old-growth hardwood trees left in North America. The Memorial Forest loop trail is an easy, short hike that is fairly popular while the Wilderness trails are more challenging (but that means fewer people around, which I prefer).

These aren't the largest trees in the area but are pretty good examples of what you'd find (I don't know who anyone in the photos is; I just grabbed 'em off a google search):

1.jpg

2-giant-400-year-old.jpg

The giant tulip poplars are still doing okay, but many of the giant hemlocks (and they are truly GIANT) have been killed by the hemlock wooly adelgid in recent years. I'm not sure how bad the damage is since I haven't been there in nearly 10 years but that's also a good reason to go see what you can while you can since it might continue getting worse.

The Cherohala Skyway is worth a drive (it's a very popular motorcycle route):

Cherohala-Skyway.jpg

MCCCskyway760.jpg

It's also #1 on this list of scenic drives in America: http://www.travelze....hes-in-america/

There's also the Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina.

It's got some interesting features, such as Looking Glass Rock:

looking_glass_rock_0.jpg

There are more streams and waterfalls around than you can count, and good/scenic hikes can be had pretty much anywhere you pull over and explore on just about any road in the Smokies.

In ~7 years I only managed to scratch the surface of places to explore (and I was working full-time as a rafting and mountain biking guide when I lived there).

Oh, and if you're anywhere where you can see the Citico Creek wilderness area, keep your eyes peeled at night for UFO's (they are very common there). You can see some photos of them that a friend of mine took in the area in this thread: https://mycotopia.ne...e-2#entry368916

Stay the hell away from Gatlinburg in Summer unless you're into scenic traffic jams of countless RVs that take you to a kitschy, hillbilly version of Las Vegas.

And it's a great place for mushrooms (hunting for wild ones as well as eating your homegrown ones).

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,835 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:54 AM

My Man! thank you kindly

It's frightening how much the woman in the uppermost photo looks like my youngest sister.

see the photo thread for my picture of looking glass rock. got there last fall and took a fairly similar pic.   So the Pisgah is considered part of Great Smokies?

Edited by pharmer, 07 June 2019 - 12:49 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#4 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,835 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:55 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...part-i/page-138

post 2576   my pic of Looking Glass Rock

• TVCasualty and crazy1 like this

#5 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:05 AM

What an amazing black and white pharmer. You have some amazing skills and eye for the truly photographic 

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

My Man! thank you kindly

It's frightening how much the woman in the uppermost photo looks like my youngest sister.

see the photo thread for my picture of looking glass rock. got there last fall and took a fairly similar pic.   So the Pisgah is considered part of Great Smokies?

No, it's not part of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park but when I lived in the area the locals thought of most of the mountain ranges in the area generically as "the Smokies" (until you got down to the Blue Ridge Mountains, which were still kinda 'smoky,' too).

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!