Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Perlite has changed colour (Yellow and Pink)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Salem

Salem

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

Hey all,
I just noticed some of my Perlite has started changing colour. Some small peices are Yellow some are a Pinkish and some are Orange ish in colour. Any idea what this is? Is my cake safe? (Orange perlite to the right of the cake)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190607_182555.jpg
  • 20190607_182552.jpg

Edited by Salem, 07 June 2019 - 02:02 PM.

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,629 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

There's really not enough information to make an educated guess. Not enough detail to really pick anything out. 

Perlite does not decay and is chemically stable - meaning it won't turn colors on its own without extreme heat or other radical process. 

Perlite is porous and can become inhabited by micro-organisms ( fungi fall into this category ). 

Your perlite is obviously stained by something. Is that "stain" alive? or residue?

Was the perlite clean when you started? Was it new or cleaned from a previous grow? Did you rinse it out prior to using it in your terrerium?

If it was old, how did you clean it? Where did you store it?

Until you know, treat the project as being contaminated. Wear gloves and respiratory protection. Pink is a "red flag" among contaminants - they can be damaging to humans. 

• Salem likes this

#3 Salem

Salem

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:55 PM

There's really not enough information to make an educated guess. Not enough detail to really pick anything out.

Perlite does not decay and is chemically stable - meaning it won't turn colors on its own without extreme heat or other radical process.

Perlite is porous and can become inhabited by micro-organisms ( fungi fall into this category ).
Your perlite is obviously stained by something. Is that "stain" alive? or residue?
Was the perlite clean when you started? Was it new or cleaned from a previous grow? Did you rinse it out prior to using it in your terrerium?
If it was old, how did you clean it? Where did you store it?

Until you know, treat the project as being contaminated. Wear gloves and respiratory protection. Pink is a "red flag" among contaminants - they can be damaging to humans.

Sorry, these are some pics I took earlier today of my cakes. Didn't notice the discoloration until I looked at the picture. I went out and bought a new sealed bag, looks like there is some discolouration in this one too.

When I first poured the Perlite I did notice some faint pink and orange spots but did not think much of it. I ran boiling water through it a few times to try and clean any lurking contamination. I only really noticed how discolored it was after viewing the pics.

Here's a pic of the new sealed bag 20190607_205210.jpg

Edited by Salem, 07 June 2019 - 03:19 PM.

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:30 PM

Was it miracle grow perlite? They put a bit or fertilizer in it. Notorious for growing algae. A rinse or two to start with usually washes it out.

Nothing dangerous to the grow is really going to grow in perlite. Rinse and rehydrate with salt water and you'll be fine.
  • Salem likes this

#5 Salem

Salem

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the advice Myc and Jkdeth. The Perlite I am using is called 'Gro-sure Perlite' no mention of fertalizer or miracle grow. I had ran the Perlite through boiling water a few times. Hopefuly that will be enough. Will also spray with salt water when I'm back home. Thank you for the help!

Edited by Salem, 07 June 2019 - 04:00 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!