• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 NassCorda

NassCorda

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:27 PM

One of my jar has a few black grains/spots. The jar is fully colonized. The spots look blacker in person than they do in these picks... what do you think?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190608_024622.jpg
  • IMG_20190608_024644.jpg

• NewMycoDisciple likes this

#2 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:32 PM

If you got this far, with no signs of contamination, you're probably good. But strange things happen.

It looks to me like it could be bruising. Does it look blue-ish?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  • FesterAddams and NewMycoDisciple like this

#3 NewMycoDisciple

NewMycoDisciple

Mycophiliac

• Banned Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:53 PM

I dont know shit, but from what little I soaked up I'd say that with that much mycelium and that tiny bit off color it's not likely. I think it's just your grains.

Let me make a note, I dont know shit I've yet to start my first grow. This is a hypothesis. I mean just let it go, if it is contaminated it should surely spread no? Might be easier to tell in a few days
  • HrVanker likes this

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:39 PM

I'd still run with those. May be a bit of off color grain. Or even a bit of contaminant that the myc has dealt with and moved on.
  • NewMycoDisciple likes this

#5 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:05 AM

Any idea what the little dots are in this sample?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2F439971-D714-4508-8379-55BC08A6654D.jpeg

Edited by FesterAddams, 08 June 2019 - 12:06 AM.

#6 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:24 AM

Can you be more specific? I think I'm seeing just verm and mycelium.

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

II am more concerned with the soup going on under the sample. What is going on there? That is one hell of a close up, picture wise.

• peacefrog likes this

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,087 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:25 PM

Looks like a colony of mold to me. The dots are probably conidiophores (the part that produces the spores).

It also looks like the substrate was exposed to open air in order to take the photo, which is guaranteed to contaminate a sub that wasn't already contaminated.

And it looks like the substrate is WAY too wet, so I'm a little surprised it sprouted mold rather than something bacterial. Does it stink (even without opening it, which you shouldn't do once it appears to be contaminated like in this case)?

• crazy1, coorsmikey, HrVanker and 2 others like this

#9 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:18 AM

It turned green the next day, full on trich. The smell is really bad and it had way too much water. I have some 4oz. jars with BRF that I inoculated three weeks ago. None of them show any growth and there is an odor in my incubator tub. I also have some agar dishes that were inoculated a week ago. Only one strain has shown microscopic growth. This is my first “round” having started on 04/17. I’m quite certain it’s all wrong! Now I’m starting to wonder if my first spawn run in the FC is just mold too.

#10 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:24 AM

Should I throw out this jar or keep it to see how the mold grows? For educational purposes and such...

#11 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:02 AM

Get rid of it and anything else contaminated. Best if you can, to sterilize any jars before you open them.
  • TVCasualty and paridox like this

#12 paridox

paridox

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:11 AM

Trich  spores stick to everything. I wouldn't open up any jars that contain trich inside your grow room or the room you inoculate your jars at. they will ruin your future grows I would straight up throw the jars away.

• Harlow likes this

#13 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:24 PM

If you want to keep the jar, do this for both your own safety (You DO NOT want to breath in mold) and like paridox said to keep from contaminating your place.

Full up a bucket of bleach water.  Take the bucket and the jar outside.  Submerge the jar and slowly open the jar until bleach water fills it, making sure water does not go in too fast and mold comes flying out.  You want it to become soaked.  Once it is completely soaked the mold-bacteria should be dead, or at least it won't explode into the air.  You can then clean out the jar under the water level.  Maybe even have a second bucket full of bleach water to toss the jar in and really make sure it's clean before you bring it back in.  Make sure to change your clothes once you are done with this, just to be safe.  I guess you could do this inside in a sink, but if you can do it outside it's another level of safety.

Edited by Harlow, 13 June 2019 - 01:27 PM.

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,087 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

If you want to keep the jar, do this for both your own safety (You DO NOT want to breath in mold) and like paridox said to keep from contaminating your place.

Full up a bucket of bleach water.  Take the bucket and the jar outside.  Submerge the jar and slowly open the jar until bleach water fills it, making sure water does not go in too fast and mold comes flying out.  You want it to become soaked.  Once it is completely soaked the mold-bacteria should be dead, or at least it won't explode into the air.  You can then clean out the jar under the water level.  Maybe even have a second bucket full of bleach water to toss the jar in and really make sure it's clean before you bring it back in.  Make sure to change your clothes once you are done with this, just to be safe.  I guess you could do this inside in a sink, but if you can do it outside it's another level of safety.

This method can still potentially expose you to large quantities of mold spores as the air bubbles out of the jar while adding the bleach solution. Even if it's done slowly and carefully enough to prevent any actual bubbles, the displacement of the air as the bleach solution is added will produce the same result: a cloud of airborne mold spores, right as you're hovering over the jar.

The only two truly safe ways to deal with contaminated jars in a residential context is to bag up and throw away the whole thing, jar and all or else pressure cook it @15psi for 30 minutes and then thoroughly clean it as soon as it cools off enough to do so.

After dealing with contamination, be sure to not only wash your clothes and whatever else you were using but also take a shower, especially before re-entering your lab/grow space.

• HrVanker, CatsAndBats and Harlow like this

#15 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:33 PM

As far as inhaling mold spores, we inhale mold spores with literally every breath that we take. When one gets a mold infection in their lungs (aspergillosis)  it's usually someone who already has a compromised immune system, ie cancer patients, transplant patients, or people who are exposed to it daily (mold on the walls of their homes).

That said, of course I cover my mouth and nose if I discover a large mold colony that has sporulated and I trash it ASAP and do exactly what @tvcasualty suggested.

https://my.cleveland...0-aspergillosis

Edited by CatsAndBats, 17 June 2019 - 01:34 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,087 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

As far as inhaling mold spores, we inhale mold spores with literally every breath that we take.

That's certainly true, though one of the factors that determine if we catch something nasty is the quantity of it that we're acutely exposed to (another is its virulence, if it's pathogenic).

We can get a fatal infection from a relative few tetanus spores since it's such a powerfully pathogenic organism and we can also get a serious lung infection from 'harmless' oyster mushroom spores by being exposed to the amounts commonly present at oyster mushroom farms.

One thing we have working against us most of the time is that we are not really 100% sure what species of contaminant we're dealing with (though if you positively ID a contam as trich because it finally turned green then it means you left it in your grow room too long). Usually it's something relatively benign, like trich, which is probably why growing fungi at home isn't considered to be a potentially-dangerous hobby Which it probably should be, frankly.

I guess that means it's just pure dumb luck that the contaminants many of us (growers) expose ourselves to in amounts that exceed natural exposures by several orders of magnitude are of very low pathogenicity. But if trich (or most other common contams) were even close to as pathogenic as something like tetanus then there would probably not be any DIY home cultivators of mushrooms. Or any left, as it were.

• crazy1, HrVanker and CatsAndBats like this

#17 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:25 PM

I had something hilarious to write but I forgot it. Womp. Hi TVCASUALTY! Long time no see.

My main point was that we should all be careful and mindful, but not to lose any sleep over it. Fun fact, my ear doctor found fungi growing in my ear wax! Cool huh?

• roc, TVCasualty and HrVanker like this

#18 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:32 PM

What? Speak up...

cordyceps-the-Last-of-Us.jpg
  • roc, CatsAndBats and Harlow like this

#19 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

I had something hilarious to write but I forgot it. Womp. Hi TVCASUALTY! Long time no see.

My main point was that we should all be careful and mindful, but not to lose any sleep over it. Fun fact, my ear doctor found fungi growing in my ear wax! Cool huh?
Did you ask for a sample to culture out?

It's probably not worth the risk. But would be funny AF if it was a cube culture.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#20 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:07 PM

Did you ask for a sample to culture out?

It's probably not worth the risk. But would be funny AF if it was a cube culture.

He said that usually when he sees it it's aspergillus niger , in my case he said it was white so maybe?

• HrVanker likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!