• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NassCorda

NassCorda

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:27 PM

One of my jar has a few black grains/spots. The jar is fully colonized. The spots look blacker in person than they do in these picks... what do you think?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190608_024622.jpg
  • IMG_20190608_024644.jpg

• NewMycoDisciple likes this

#2 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 282 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:32 PM

If you got this far, with no signs of contamination, you're probably good. But strange things happen.

It looks to me like it could be bruising. Does it look blue-ish?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  • FesterAddams and NewMycoDisciple like this

#3 NewMycoDisciple

NewMycoDisciple

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:53 PM

I dont know shit, but from what little I soaked up I'd say that with that much mycelium and that tiny bit off color it's not likely. I think it's just your grains.

Let me make a note, I dont know shit I've yet to start my first grow. This is a hypothesis. I mean just let it go, if it is contaminated it should surely spread no? Might be easier to tell in a few days
  • HrVanker likes this

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,257 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:39 PM

I'd still run with those. May be a bit of off color grain. Or even a bit of contaminant that the myc has dealt with and moved on.
  • NewMycoDisciple likes this

#5 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:05 AM

Any idea what the little dots are in this sample?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2F439971-D714-4508-8379-55BC08A6654D.jpeg

Edited by FesterAddams, 08 June 2019 - 12:06 AM.

#6 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 282 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:24 AM

Can you be more specific? I think I'm seeing just verm and mycelium.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 14,905 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

II am more concerned with the soup going on under the sample. What is going on there? That is one hell of a close up, picture wise.

• peacefrog likes this

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,893 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:25 PM

Looks like a colony of mold to me. The dots are probably conidiophores (the part that produces the spores).

It also looks like the substrate was exposed to open air in order to take the photo, which is guaranteed to contaminate a sub that wasn't already contaminated.

And it looks like the substrate is WAY too wet, so I'm a little surprised it sprouted mold rather than something bacterial. Does it stink (even without opening it, which you shouldn't do once it appears to be contaminated like in this case)?

• crazy1, HrVanker, peacefrog and 1 other like this

#9 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:18 AM

It turned green the next day, full on trich. The smell is really bad and it had way too much water. I have some 4oz. jars with BRF that I inoculated three weeks ago. None of them show any growth and there is an odor in my incubator tub. I also have some agar dishes that were inoculated a week ago. Only one strain has shown microscopic growth. This is my first “round” having started on 04/17. I’m quite certain it’s all wrong! Now I’m starting to wonder if my first spawn run in the FC is just mold too.

#10 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:24 AM

Should I throw out this jar or keep it to see how the mold grows? For educational purposes and such...

#11 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:02 AM

Get rid of it and anything else contaminated. Best if you can, to sterilize any jars before you open them.
  • paridox likes this

#12 paridox

paridox

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:11 AM

Trich  spores stick to everything. I wouldn't open up any jars that contain trich inside your grow room or the room you inoculate your jars at. they will ruin your future grows I would straight up throw the jars away.

• Harlow likes this

#13 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:24 PM

If you want to keep the jar, do this for both your own safety (You DO NOT want to breath in mold) and like paridox said to keep from contaminating your place.

Full up a bucket of bleach water.  Take the bucket and the jar outside.  Submerge the jar and slowly open the jar until bleach water fills it, making sure water does not go in too fast and mold comes flying out.  You want it to become soaked.  Once it is completely soaked the mold-bacteria should be dead, or at least it won't explode into the air.  You can then clean out the jar under the water level.  Maybe even have a second bucket full of bleach water to toss the jar in and really make sure it's clean before you bring it back in.  Make sure to change your clothes once you are done with this, just to be safe.  I guess you could do this inside in a sink, but if you can do it outside it's another level of safety.

Edited by Harlow, 13 June 2019 - 01:27 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!