• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:58 AM

It’s my first time doing flat cakes like the ones outlined in the hongus TEK that hippie had posted. Starting to see some good knotting on about 50% of them. I felt like I put too much verm on the top layer. Should I try to thin out the top layer on the ones with no visible activity? Something says just leave it, but I wasn’t sure if the top layer being too thick would be an issue or not.

#2 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

Just leave it for now, messing with it at this point could introduce contams.

#3 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:23 AM

I had assumed that. Thanks for the response crazy. Out of 12 trays I’d say only 3 or 4 aren’t showing any visible activity. They were just placed in FC 2 days ago though also.
  • MycoAnt81 likes this

#4 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

Then I'd say you're all good my friend

Peace

#5 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:19 AM

Sometimes we just need that “slightly louder” voice of reason friend.
  • MycoAnt81 likes this

#6 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:07 PM

Sup, MA81 here. Kindred spirits you and I, your mycohandle and my family name have coincided here, im stoked about it. Good luck and good growing my friend. Hope to see you succeeding with this lifestyle. Peace

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

#7 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:18 PM

I had assumed that. Thanks for the response crazy. Out of 12 trays I’d say only 3 or 4 aren’t showing any visible activity. They were just placed in FC 2 days ago though also.

IMHE, I've seen action after 4 days, and action after 14. Since ive refined my methodology, ive noticed a significant difference when i found the right,dark, warm spot in the pantry where the ambient temp in the daytime stays around 82f for the better part of the day. Havent had much luck using my heating system for incubation, but it works great to keep a very constant baseline temp at all times in the FC. Peace.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Edited by MycoAnt81, 09 June 2019 - 12:19 PM.

#8 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:26 PM

Been in the same boat. I had a shelf in my computer room that was sheeted off from light. I put a very small personal heater in there for the times that the temp dipped down. Luckily we keep our house fairly warm. Desert life man. I just recently set up an incubator type system to try and keep a more stable temp but haven’t used it. The test run went well for a few days though.

#9 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 592 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:03 PM

sounds interesting anyone have a link to this  Hongus Tek ? the topi search only brings up threads that as questins about aspects of Hongus Tek  but not a thread that actually  describes it . just curious

#10 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:46 PM

sounds interesting anyone have a link to this  Hongus Tek ? the topi search only brings up threads that as questins about aspects of Hongus Tek  but not a thread that actually  describes it . just curious

https://mycotopia.ne...us-tek-reprint/

If you haven't read the Shit you need to know topic, you should. This is one of the links from there. It can be found at   https://mycotopia.ne...ic-fungi-forum/

#11 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the link. That is the exact one I had mentioned in my original post. Hope you are well friend.
  • joeya likes this

#12 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:20 PM

This was the part that I was trying to avoid:
Also, since there is so much excitement involved, many newbies get desperate and lose their patience,
something that can cost them their hard work.
This is because they get anxious and start playing around,
misting, fanning, poking, dunking, recasing, and just messing things which were nicely done the first time

However I felt like I may have put too much casing on a few. I was considering just knocking a little of the loose stuff off the 3 or 4 that are behind the rest. I’ll check them after work in another 2 hours and most likely leave them alone. I know it’s what I should do.

#13 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 592 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:37 PM

THANKS Joeya

more stuff to read !  TOO FEED MY OCD OBSESSIONS !

• joeya likes this

#14 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:44 PM

LOL, there are worse things to obsess over!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!