Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Did I Doom My Mycelium? (Shaking Inoc. Jars)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SeArChEr4

SeArChEr4

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:14 PM

As a new member and BRAND new inductee to using/growing psilocybin, I have been drinking from this firehose of information and opinion about TEKS, tool, etc. After a plagued agar attempt, a BRF tek was used, inoculating 5 jars. 2 of the 5 jars successfully grew mycelium and have continued strong these past few weeks. Through all my reading, I kept coming across the idea of shaking your mycelium jars to break-up and this spread the magic more rapidly. Of my jars that were successfully on route to the birthday, one is an inch or so away from fully engulfing the jar; the second however is only about half-way encased (and spreading). So naturally, in my inexperience I grabbed the second jar whose growth is far behind the first, and shook it vigorously to see if I could get some break up... what resulted was that some of my dry verm. top layer fell down the sides of the jar all over the beautifully white growth. Oh man....here’s a couple pics showing a 360 degree picture of the “shaken one” with the flash ON & OFF. I’ve had a lot of bad news with these processes so far community, don’t break my heart again please lol and as always, I appreciate your time and guidance.

Attached Thumbnails

• FB0CA8D7-B04C-4462-95EB-846D2BAF59C4.jpeg
  • 80887C36-0D75-472A-8251-2E40BFA52083.jpeg
  • A2C4ACFE-A523-41B9-A3E7-C2B0E02E2CD0.jpeg
  • A159DDFF-663E-44E5-A530-EC53141F2633.jpeg
  • 36808DF6-FE7A-49C7-8DA7-E9BF69B7FB8A.jpeg
  • 34F8BEA2-E653-44E5-87E1-1007C35C22A1.jpeg

• NewMycoDisciple likes this

#2 NewMycoDisciple

NewMycoDisciple

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

Let me preface by saying I am an amateur at best in your same shoes starting in a few days. I too have been soaking up information. It's my understanding when you shake them up you distribute the myc but it stunts growth form a short period.

Following

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,536 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

The intent of shaking is for when you're using grains as spawn. The idea is to break up colonized areas and spread mycelium around the jar to the individual particles of grain. 

PF Tek really shouldn't be shaken. The dry vermiculite layer is there to act as a sort of filter to prevent contamination from invading the jar. If this layer becomes significantly compromised the project may fail. 

Let those jars recover in a nice dark pantry. They will likely be OK. 

• PJammer24 and NewMycoDisciple like this

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,257 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:19 PM

What Myc said. Shaking is for grains, with filtered lids. But the cake isn't doomed. Chances are it can recover fine. It will either recover or contaminate. You should know in a week.

Patience! Developing patience is important.
  • Moonless likes this

#5 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:37 PM

As myc and jk both said, shaking is for grains, but you're probably ok. The one thing I notice, and which may make a difference, is a lack of micropore tape. The standard PF tek calls for placing micropore tape over the holes after you inoculate the jar. Many people don't bother with this, because the dry vermiculite layer creates a fair barrier against contamination. In your case, that barrier may be compromised, and the micropore tape could be a reasonable insurance policy. So, what's done is done, and you are just going to have to hope for the best outcome (which is still rather likely to attain) but if the holes are not covered with that tape, it is the one thing which you can do at this point to improve your chances. 

Good Luck!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!