6 replies to this topic

#1 Knucklebrucks

Knucklebrucks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:53 PM

Hey all,

Ive been having good looking bulk tubs (WBS spawned to Coco/coffee in 6qt. tubs, with verm/peat/oyster shell casing) going into fruiting chamber turning bad quicker than usual. See pics. I've had tubs go this route (white puffy chunks spreading then eventually turning green) after the 3rd flush or so, but they've been heading that direction even before pinning in a few cases.

I've just added a few poly filled holes and plan to add another fanning to the daily routine in case the issues is poor FAE.

Perhaps its just the chambers need to be scrubbed with bleach?

Just looking for any insight to help.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1386.jpg
  • IMG_1387.jpg
  • IMG_1388.jpg

#2 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:20 PM

I don't have firsthand experience using coffee. But, I have heard that it can make subs more prone to contamination.

I know that gypsum and pickling lime can help keep contam rates lower, but that may be mostly for bacterial contamination (bacteria typically like a more acidic environment). Not too sure about molds.

If this is a mold, and you've had several runs go this route, you probably have a high spore load in your workspaces. Some very thorough cleaning is definitely in order, after you get rid of all infected tubs.

Steam cleaning the carpets is highly recommended, but can be a pain and expensive. Wipe down all surfaces, walls, etc. with a good cleaning solution (bleach if possible), the whole nine yards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  • PJammer24 likes this

#3 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,843 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:22 PM

If you've seen the green then do clean with a bleach / water.

I am not big on the coffee grounds. They always eventually bring on the green from my experience.

I know others that preach great success with them but I really don't think the benefit versus the risk is worth it.

I keep coffee grounds on the counter in the kitchen to use in the compost pile and I have to stay on top of dumping them because they'll go green in no time. Set a can out and dump them in put a lid on them and see how many days it takes for the green to show and you can see for yourself what happens. The process of using them in our full on espresso should pasteurize them but that doesn't stop the green.

• PJammer24 and HrVanker like this

#4 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,427 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:52 PM

Since you're having an issue, leave out the coffee grounds.

Check your pastuerization method.
Take care in spawning and don't expose to open air till they start pinning.

Since you've had issues, definitely give a good cleaning. But the fruiting chamber is the very last place a trich infection might start.

Trich most often gets it start in the spawn, or is introduced at spawning.
  • roc and PJammer24 like this

#5 Knucklebrucks

Knucklebrucks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Going to give the whole room and chambers a good scrubbing today with bleach solution.

Any recommendations to favorite bulk sub teks? Other teks I've come across I've been somewhat intimidated to try...

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,217 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:27 AM

I have good luck with a 50-50 coir-poo mix... I then add verm so i guess the mix is more like 1-1-.5    coir-poo-verm...  

If you don't have access to hpoo, I would go to your local home depot or lowes and see what types of bagged cow poo they have... I have had good luck with cow poo from the store when I can find some that has not been composted... I am not sure why, but some of the composted varieties have given me some contamination issues. You can also order hpoo dehydrated online.

Worm castings can also be used but they have a tendency to get muddy rather than giving you the fluffy consistency you are looking for.

Don't be intimidated! Just go for it! You aren't going to figure it out without giving it a try. There are many things in this hobby and in life that I put off trying, just to find out that it was much better and easier than I suspected.

#7 Knucklebrucks

Knucklebrucks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:43 PM

I have good luck with a 50-50 coir-poo mix... I then add verm so i guess the mix is more like 1-1-.5    coir-poo-verm...  

If you don't have access to hpoo, I would go to your local home depot or lowes and see what types of bagged cow poo they have... I have had good luck with cow poo from the store when I can find some that has not been composted... I am not sure why, but some of the composted varieties have given me some contamination issues. You can also order hpoo dehydrated online.

Worm castings can also be used but they have a tendency to get muddy rather than giving you the fluffy consistency you are looking for.

Don't be intimidated! Just go for it! You aren't going to figure it out without giving it a try. There are many things in this hobby and in life that I put off trying, just to find out that it was much better and easier than I suspected.

Thanks for the encouragement! I too have found things easier than I thought once attempted. I guess once you get a tek down its just easier than the anxiety of trying something new.

I actually live near to many farms. Could likely aquire Hpoo pretty easy. If I were to talk to a farmer, am I looking for dried Hpoo, like old shit? Or newer shit?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!