• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:19 PM

Just wanted to share progress on an edible grow I have going at the moment. I inoculated a couple of 1L jars of popcorn back at the start of March with Wine Cap / King Stropharia liquid culture which was purchased online. I made a somewhat noob 'mistake' in using only 2mL per 1Litre jar of popcorn. At least I got my popcorn hydration right. Anyhow, the jars colonised rather slowly even at room temperature but did fully colonise after a couple of shakes and and recovered well after a last shake when it looked fuljy colonised. Then I wasn't ready to expand so they went in the fridge for a week or two. Meanwhile I got sorted with compressed hardwood briquette thingies and bran. Around the start of May I prepared a couple of 5lb myco bags of wheat bran supplemented hardwood sawdust/shavings, hydrated in a suck it and see way as this was my first time working with compressed hardwood briquettes. It turns out they can absorb more than their own weight in water which I was surprised about somewhat. Inoculated the sterilised 5lb bags using the colonised popcorn doing the transfer in an improvised SAB. Once the bags were folded and taped I kneaded and rolled them about to try and mix thoroughly, this needs some practice I think. The inoculated bags where then kept in a clean closed tote in an outbuilding which was probably around 10'C average whilst they colonised. One of the two bags stalled, didn't seem to want to completely colonise some areas of the bag which looked very dry, the other bag was rather wet at the bottom and that wasn't colonising the bottom. My hydration of the supplemented hardwood sawdust needs dialling in, clearly. I kept my eye on them for another week after that observation and couldn't see any further progress so at the start of June I removed the partially colonised 'blocks' from the bags to see if they where suffering any contamination or just suffering my poor hydration. Lucky me, no off smells, nothing looked bad, so I rinsed off all the uncolonised stuff then crumbled the good looking colonised stuff into a 120L tote and mixed in twice as much by volume (just eyed it, no measurement really) of field capacity coir/verm mix. This last step was open air, no more sterile/aseptic condition to be had. I honestly wasn't sure if this would be the end of the project but so far it looks good still.

It looks like the sub is close to fully colonised and the moisture level is looking good. The lid of the tote has a gap, it isn't designed to seal, quite the opposite, the gap seems to be there on purpose, so the sub is getting some FAE. I pop in once a day to look in on it and it gets a little fan just to make sure the air isn't getting stale but it always smells nice so far. Temperature is now more like 15'C average as the weather has warmed up a bit.

Now the question; I have read King Stroph won't fruit without some beneficial soil bacteria present, is that 100% true?

I'm naively hoping it'll fruit once it fully colonises like Sropharia Cubensis would likely do;)

King_Stroph_Monotub_b_20190610.jpg

King_Stroph_Monotub_a_20190610.jpg

King_Stroph_Monotub_c_20190610.jpg

Edit: My 500th post! :)

Edited by Cuboid, 10 June 2019 - 05:22 PM.

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

Its a notorious difficult indoor fruiter. Maybe 80 percent true.

#3 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,348 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

I have grown King Stropharia outside in flower pots or totes.   Fruits from April to Nov. in the PNW  .  The value of growing it in totes is that you prevent slugs and other vermin from eating the fruits .  Anyway agar to grain, grain to Sawdust bags and then to woodchips and hay in totes or flower pots.  King Stropharia for no rhyme or fruits in different locations in my yard at different times so conditions  inducing fruiting is an enigma to me.

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

They need a constant flow of fresh air, and humidity. They also prefer colder temps. 

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:43 PM

Consider this book.

https://mushroommoun...ycoremediation/

Actually had this at the local library. Course the dude lives like 2 hours away.

On stropharia he outlines a method for creating an inoculant from outdoor fruiting, to use on indoor grows. Its more complex than this, but in a nutshell, he collects the bits of dirt from stem butts, makes a solution then uses it to inoculate a casing layer for indoor grows.
  • crazy1 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!