• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:36 AM

Yup, every person has s different mind, and balance of chemicals they need to figure out their load.

Sounds like you have everything under control tho
  • joeya likes this

#22 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:23 AM

I've been thinking, and studying, a bit this morning about my low success rate with these shrooms. 

I don't think the problem is the shrooms, two of my friends have taken them 2 and 3 times, about two grams, and achieved expected results. I've taken them 5 times, and only tripped once, the second time. These were all from the same grow, golden teacher in PF cakes grown in my spare room. 

So, I begin to wonder what is it about me that is different from my two friends. We are all physically and mentally fit, active, late 40's to mid 50's men. Well, my glaring differentiator is that I am an MS patient. As such, I've been on a range of unusual medications, although not currently or very recently on any. My last flare-up about a month ago I took gabapentin for about a week. This is where I started to look for information.

What I found is this;

1. Psilocin, the active metabolite of psilocybin, acts on a few receptors in the central nervous system, most primarily on one called 5-HT2A. This, and the other receptors involved, are mainly important to the body for seratonin, a major neurotransmitter.

2. People with certain conditions, such as depression, have a much higher density of the 5-HT2A receptor.

3. The 5-HT2A receptor may be a necessary receptor for the JC virus. This is not normally something most people should be concerned about, however, many drugs given to those with MS cause a significant susceptibility to the JC virus. This is one of the reasons I stopped taking them four years ago. 

4. In my ultimately successful quest to stop smoking years ago, I took some prescription meds which I don't remember the name, which were anti-depressants and likely act on the 5-HT2A receptor

Given that I have at least a few apparent challenges to this receptor, I can presume that the problem is likely how I metabolize and utilize psilocybin rather than the amount of it in the mushrooms which I have grown. I plan to keep researching this possible link between MS, the accompanying meds, and the 5-HT2A and other related receptors, and how they work with tryptamines like psilocybin. I'm curious if anyone else has any experience with MS and mushrooms. I am also reaching out to some MS groups to see if anyone has any experience. 

• crazy1, Coopdog and Boebs like this

#23 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

I have been having very similar issues with my experiences with psilocybin in the last year or so after giving up on big pharma and the healthcare system here. At the time I was on a very high dose of sertaline(Zoloft, 300mg) daily and clonazepam 4mg daily. I was told my only option was a psych ward or succumb... In my case it was severe depression, anxiety, and rage. I weaned myself of the meds and have a much better handle on my own mind these days, so I guess I'm back to square one in my treatment options. in my research I am finding the depression and MS paths crossing more and more frequently the deeper I dig. I recently consumed 7 grams of dried cubensis with no noticable effects, about 2 hours later I vaporized .0050 g of crystal DMT from a batch that I had a few years previously had a GREAT and transformative experience on. Still, nothing... That's when the research got real... I just knocked up my first jars ever. I am bound and determined to get to the bottom of this, either through research or eating a whole lot of mushrooms in a thousand different ways. The only noticable experience I have had in the last year was 250ug of lsd.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Edited by Thirdeyeplants, 12 June 2019 - 12:07 PM.

• crazy1, Coopdog and joeya like this

#24 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:30 PM

in my research I am finding the depression and MS paths crossing more and more frequently the deeper I dig. 

There is a well established component of MS involving depression. When I was first diagnosed in 2006 the first thing I was put on was an anti-depressant. I'm not even sure if I actually was depressed, but that was the protocol my neurologist started with. I had a lot going on then, coming through a divorce, recovering brain surgery, and a laundry list of other, lesser challenges. So, I guess it makes sense that she put me on an anti-depressant just based on that stuff! 

Good luck staying off the pharmatoxins, have you tried micro-dosing? That may be more beneficial for you than the full experience. 

I'm not really looking for it as treatment, I just want to experience the full barrage once in a while. 

#25 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

I intend to start a regimen of 5 days on 2 days off of psilocybe at .2g working up to 1g, lions mane at 500 mg daily and 200 mg of niacin. It is a routine that supposedly promotes neurogenesis in the human brain. With the beat case scenario being all these magic little spores floating around in your brain saying "I think i have a better road map" and addressing the problem at the cause rather than masking the symptoms with drugs...

#26 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,257 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

If you microdose .25 three days a week, it works, and you won't build a tolerance. If you work up to 1g five days a week, you'll never have an actual trip.

#27 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:43 PM

I tend to flip flop, but I am really looking for AN "experience" or a trip to prove that I'm capable. After that my primary concern is treating my ailments. I am desperate to get a handle on this. I really dont want to see where it goes if I don't. Are you saying that is a waste of product or are you just warning me that my tolerance will go up and I wont notice the euphoria any longer? I've seen recommendations of every third day and ive seen 5 days on 2 days off, and everything in between... I don't even have the medicine to start the process, so, plenty of time to tweak a regimen...

#28 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,257 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:48 PM

Doing a gram a day is going to shoot tolerance up. Not sure if its a good idea long term.

#29 joeya

joeya

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:56 PM

JK is right, a gram a day is probably not helpful. Also, you're talking about a lot of niacin, that carries the risk of some nasty headache and body burning symptoms. If you do that, you probably want to up your water intake to ridiculous levels, but also plan on not being able to experience a trip. Niacin has a reputation for causing a crash with body trauma when combined with any hallucinogens. 

There are many regimens that show promise with neurogenesis, in fact lions mane, cordyceps, and some of the polypore fungi show great promise in this area. If this is your goal, you may want to start there instead. 

#30 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:54 AM

Maybe a stupid question. I have been so focused on getting my psilocybe going that I havent even started research on the other species as far as cultivation goes. Are there any issues with growing so many species in close proximity. I get that they have different needs, but can they "contaminate" each other?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!