#1 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:44 PM

Back about Christmas time I got the crazy idea to grow some of the worlds hottest peppers. This coincided with my daughter wanting to start a small indoor garden for edible greens and homegrown herbs, non pot related ones. Got some good LED grow lights for my daughter and took some wire fencing and made a 4x4 space in the kitchen fenced to keep the cats out of it and we got started. 

A quick google search netted me some Carolina Reaper, Bhutla Ghost peppers and Naga Vipers, the top three hottest peppers in the world...that you can eat anyhow. There is one hotter but it will literally kill you lol. 

I started the seeds about March, they took forever to take off but finally started. They are still in there in the starter trays and are about ten inches tall and bushy and healthy. I put in two 5x5 raised beds, then looked high and low for some good compost garden soil and could not find any until yesterday I drove 40 miles to go pick some up. I got the 30% organic compost and topsoil mix said by them to be best for gardening. I just got done shovelling a yard of it into my first raised beds. I know it is getting late in the year, I been working a lot and could not find the soil so we are behind the curve. 

The thing is, the soil smells like it will be very hot. Smells like the city dump in a way from the amount of compost in it. I am concerned that it is going to burn my peppers, and I want very badly to get these off this year. Do you think it will be ok to just plant them in it as is? 

Also, will the sun kill them after they have been under grow lights? This area is mostly full sun for most of the day until evening.  IF they were pot plants I would acclimate them for a week or so or find a milk crate to put over them, but I don't have milk crates on hand and I really wanna get these in the ground this weekend. Whaddaya think?

• Skywatcher likes this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,955 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

Peppers are tough lil guys but IME they don't do well in hot soil. For me anyway, they stay alive but don't get very big where as the ones in crappy soil grow like crazy. Don't ask me why but that is my experience. They will burn though if you put them in full sun suddenly. I would advise some shade cloth  over them for a week or so to transition. If they get burnt they will recover but seem to grow slow. Think of your cactus after growing in artificial lighting then going to full sun.  

• crazy1, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#3 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 818 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:27 PM

WHAT MIKEY SAID  HEH

#4 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,145 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:35 PM

Mikey already said this...........Tough plants.

I grew ghost peppers a few years back in plain potting soil and yard dirt mixed.

I would stir a few shovels of plain dirt into the beds every few feet to dilute the hot soil. Then rig any temporary shade, even lattice or a bigger potted plant.

I managed to get two years out of mine by pruning back in late fall, and in your case you would need to protect from a freeze.

#5 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:18 AM

One thing I may add, after you get the peppers in their homes and growing well, add a tablespoon of Epsom salts to the drip line of the plant. Sprinkle it around lightly in a circle. the Magnesium Sulfate will help you tremendously!!!

Good vibes to you on your garden

Peace

on edit: If your soil is hot, the compost isn't done composting. When it's done it isn't hot. And should smell like fresh earth, a good smell.

Edited by crazy1, 17 June 2019 - 05:19 AM.

• Coopdog, Juthro and CatsAndBats like this

#6 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:39 AM

Crazy1 that was my impression, that the soil is not completely composted, but the soil from this place was recommended from many people so I am hoping for the best. We will see! Wish me luck I put them out. 

#7 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:21 AM

Coop I do wish you the best and sending good vibes for your garden grow.

Has the compost cooled and lost the aroma since spreading it? 

• Moonless likes this

#8 LQT

LQT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

Might I suggest a simple hydroponic approach? I have had success with aerogardens. But, you can recreate the aerogarden set up to be more economical and for bigger plants/more yields. You can eliminate that pesky soil all together!

https://www.hydropon...er-culture.html
  • Moonless likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!