• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Diesel8310

Diesel8310

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

Greetings fellow Mycotopians! This is my first post since 2009, but I have been lurking ever since. We've been getting lots of rain over the past couple weeks. I was taking a walk at my work yesterday, and came across several small patches of what appear to be Pan Cinctulus....Since this was right outside my office window, I didn’t feel comfortable nabbing any for a print to check spore color or anything, people everywhere around here. From the pics, does anyone have any input on whether these appear to be Cincts/Subbs? In all the years I’ve looked around these parts, I have not once came across anything that resembled an active. Any and all input greatly appreciated! A6E3FB11-A596-48E0-9A55-99A9446722DE.jpeg A8335C71-F63E-4014-BA14-DDED3C6CC505.jpeg 58F36B73-9E24-46BD-887C-A014E83B3A63.jpeg 02BAD261-D630-40B0-BDCD-4A4CA3B0F316.jpeg 20194224-822B-4780-93A5-501639D35DFE.jpeg 8B8D7909-F88B-4E52-BEC5-1BD4A1105B3F.jpeg
  • MycoAnt81, joeya and makinbones69 like this

#2 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:30 AM

You will really need to get a spire print to be sure, man. Jet black is what you want to see. It’s very hard to tell Panaeolus foenisecii from Panaeolus cinctulus without getting a proper spore print. That being said here is one thing that I have noticed:

The Panaeolus cinctulus that I have come across have all had darker, twisting verical lines running down the stem like this:

369DDE71-AAFB-4FCE-A2BA-2F26F81E72DD.jpeg

Whereas the stems of Panaeolus foenisecii are much plainer... very similar to the mushrooms you are showing in your pictures.

This coupled with the fact that I’ve only ever found Panaeolus cinctulus In horse pastures growing very close to dung (not that Panaeolus cinctulus can’t grow on lawns that are manure fertilized mind you) would lead me to believe that these are Panaeolus foenisecii but that’s just my opinion.

Like I said you are really gonna want to get a nice print off of these to be sure! Maybe tie your shoe and pick one up all sneaky like to take home and print? ;)

Hope that helped some!
-Ethno

Ps: if you can make it out to a field that has horses in it or has had horses in it I think you will find them pretty quickly if it’s been raining a good bit there lately. We are about to get about a week of rain coming up and I’ll be checking a pasture I know they grow in... I wanna see if I can’t find some myself! Good luck!

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 20 June 2019 - 12:38 AM.

• Cuboid likes this

#3 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:38 AM

Wouldn't be Panaeolus cinctulus because that species doesn't grow in grass.    To me it looks like a mixed collection of Panaeolus foenisecii and an undescribed and active lawn Panaeolus.

• PJammer24 likes this

#4 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:49 AM

and an undescribed and active lawn Panaeolus.

Say what? Can you tell me more about this?

#5 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 663 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:01 AM

Wouldn't be Panaeolus cinctulus because that species doesn't grow in grass. To me it looks like a mixed collection of Panaeolus foenisecii and an undescribed and active lawn Panaeolus.

Which picture has the unnamed panaeolus please and what gives it away as being active?

#6 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:43 AM

I noticed some foes yesterday when I was cutting the lawn, also in CO. There were also a couple of clusters of coprinoids. It's been quite moist here lately, and we water our lawn rather aggressively, so it's prime for bringing up local shroomage.

#7 Diesel8310

Diesel8310

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for the insight guys :-) I’m going to try grabbing a couple fruits today to print and check for spore color, and take some better closeups of gills and stem. I know CO is definitely not a hot spot for actives...But if they exist anywhere out here I’d love to find em!
  • ethnobotanist420 likes this

#8 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

Wouldn't be Panaeolus cinctulus because that species doesn't grow in grass. To me it looks like a mixed collection of Panaeolus foenisecii and an undescribed and active lawn Panaeolus.

Which picture has the unnamed panaeolus please and what gives it away as being active?

Second picture, and it's the reddish pruinose stem.

• Cuboid likes this

#9 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the insight guys :-) I’m going to try grabbing a couple fruits today to print and check for spore color, and take some better closeups of gills and stem. I know CO is definitely not a hot spot for actives...But if they exist anywhere out here I’d love to find em!

Colorado has Psilocybe aztecorum.

• joeya likes this

#10 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:11 PM

My DNA sequences for dung Panaeolus cinctulus turn out different from the lawn sequences, and I don't think the lawn species have names yet.

• PJammer24 and Cuboid like this

#11 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 663 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:46 PM

My DNA sequences for dung Panaeolus cinctulus turn out different from the lawn sequences, and I don't think the lawn species have names yet.

What colour is the spore print of the so far unnamed suspected active lawn Panaeolus? (i'm guessing they would have black)

#12 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

Can you say how prevalent it is here? I've been looking for it, rather acutely, every time I go hiking above 6000' and have yet to find it. Although, I haven't really hiked as extensively on the Western slope as I have Eastern and mountains, but I should think think the moister areas would be more prime for it. 

Thank you for your insight!

#13 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:39 PM

Oh wow that’s extremely fascinating... are there any macroscopic differences or do they just appear exactly as their dung lover counterparts to the eye?

Good luck man! Looking forward to seeing more of them... damn it this thread is gonna end up making me go hiking in a horse pasture in the pouring rain lol

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 20 June 2019 - 04:43 PM.

#14 Diesel8310

Diesel8310

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:56 PM

Well...Went to grab a few specimens yesterday morning, and low and behold....They mowed the grass....UGH. Good news is it’s raining balls out here and is supposed to continue throughout the weekend....Hoping some more pop up here soon! They were growing in abundance, so assuming there’ll make another appearance shortly :-)

#15 Diesel8310

Diesel8310

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:00 PM

Oh wow that’s extremely fascinating... are there any macroscopic differences or do they just appear exactly as their dung lover counterparts to the eye?

Good luck man! Looking forward to seeing more of them... damn it this thread is gonna end up making me go hiking in a horse pasture in the pouring rain lol

Haha thanks!! Me too :-) Honestly loving all this rain we’ve been getting; Happy hunting!

#16 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:28 AM

> What colour is the spore print of the so far unnamed suspected active lawn Panaeolus? (i'm guessing they would have black)

Black.

• Cuboid likes this

#17 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:28 AM

Can you say how prevalent it is here? I've been looking for it, rather acutely, every time I go hiking above 6000' and have yet to find it. Although, I haven't really hiked as extensively on the Western slope as I have Eastern and mountains, but I should think think the moister areas would be more prime for it. 

Thank you for your insight!

It has been found a few times.

• Cuboid likes this

#18 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:29 AM

They have thinner stems.

• ethnobotanist420 and Cuboid like this

#19 LQT

LQT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:37 AM

Have you tried them? I just had the same experience. Mine printed brown, I tried them and they have no worth while effects.

#20 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:09 AM

They have thinner stems.

Interesting... Thank you!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!