• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:17 PM

I live in an area where cubes dont grow but I've been throwing all my spent substrate, for the last few months, in the same little spot in my backyard ... not expecting anything but what could it hurt ?
To my surprise when I looked out my back window today I saw about 15 had popped up out of the ground around where I threw the sub
I picked the biggest one and pinched the stem to see the bruising then I threw it back out with the rest
I'm not gonna eat them just in case ... but I thought it was really cool that they started growing like that .... I'm just gonna let them go and shoot their spores and see what happens

Attached Thumbnails

• tmp-cam-2277837301228352950.jpg
  • tmp-cam-2337358508920030779.jpg

• roc, Coopdog, mad420pumpkinz and 2 others like this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:20 PM

In my humble opinion... You should eat the mother luvin shit out those mofos...!!

• roc, coorsmikey, HrVanker and 7 others like this

#3 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:25 PM

In my humble opinion... You should eat the mother luvin shit out those mofos...!!

Lol I probably would if I didn't already have a little stock pile of them
  • MycoAnt81 likes this

#4 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:20 PM

I would clone one, it might have naturalized to your area, I would then do PF cakes, or a gourmet block (coir + bran), and then bury it outside when colonized.

Cubensis is much more adaptive than people think.

Edited by Ferather, 19 June 2019 - 02:21 PM.

• Cuboid, MsBehavin420, joeya and 2 others like this

#5 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:42 PM

I would clone one, it might have naturalized to your area, I would then do PF cakes, or a gourmet block (coir + bran), and then bury it outside when colonized.

Cubensis is much more adaptive than people think.

Yea it's hard to believe as much trouble people have growing them that i can throw a spent out in the dirt and they pop up everywhere... part of me wants to let them go and spread their spores
Another part of me wants to pick them and use them but what if their not cubes? I'd go through all the effort to clone a toadstool lol

#6 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:52 PM

Would anyone seriously pick and eat these ?
  • Moonless likes this

#7 Equestrian

Equestrian

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:52 PM

Congrats, I have been trying the same thing, no luck yet
  • Opendoors likes this

#8 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:06 PM

Look very cubensis to me. No different than collecting from a cow pasture.

As far as them growing, with the substrate you tossed out there, the living organism was already established.

Mycelium is pretty resilient if it gets moisture it may produce till cold weather hits. Not likely to come back from heavy freezing temps.

Graveyards are pretty common.
  • MycoAnt81, Moonless and Opendoors like this

#9 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:45 PM

Congrats, I have been trying the same thing, no luck yet

Weve had ideal weather here , just got lucky fr, its rained almost everyday for 2 months , but the sun comes out just long enouph to keep the ground from getting too wet ... and the temp has stayed between 75 and 85
  • Ferather and MycoAnt81 like this

#10 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

As far as them growing, with the substrate you tossed out there, the living organism was already established.

Mycelium is pretty resilient if it gets moisture it may produce till cold weather hits. Not likely to come back from heavy freezing temps.

Yea it surprises me sometimes the resilience of them ... it seems my best grows always happen when I dont expect much... I'm always forgetting things , being clumsy , and thinking to myself "this is never gonna work" but they always pop up... I must live in a low mold and bacteria environment or something because im surprised everytime when they start popping lol

#11 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:00 PM

Bless!

Me aswell, I had some really contaminated substraight and some jars that were not so contaminated and thrown all in same hole outside. Woke up yesterday to pins! It is like 95 F and super dry here so I have had to mist them but crossing fingers they get as big as yours.

Happy for you to receive this special surprise!

• Opendoors likes this

#12 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:06 PM

Bless!

Me aswell, I had some really contaminated substraight and some jars that were not so contaminated and thrown all in same hole outside. Woke up yesterday to pins! It is like 95 F and super dry here so I have had to mist them but crossing fingers they get as big as yours.

Happy for you to receive this special surprise!

I think I'm just gonna let them stay and drop their spores .... like jkdeth said they probably wont survive winter ... but it be cool if they did ... yea I'd keep nursing , I dont know anything about outdoor growing but it seems once they pop up your good as long as they dont dry... the weird thing is it seems like i had nothing yesterday... now they're full grown open wide
  • Moonless likes this

#13 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

Yea it surprises me sometimes the resilience of them ... it seems my best grows always happen when I dont expect much... I'm always forgetting things , being clumsy , and thinking to myself "this is never gonna work" but they always pop up... I must live in a low mold and bacteria environment or something because im surprised everytime when they start popping lol

The fresh air out doors makes contamination much less likely... those are cubes if that’s ur graveyard there based on the look... I don’t think they have naturalized to the area tho considering it sounds like u put the spent subs out there recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Opendoors likes this

#14 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

The fresh air out doors makes contamination much less likely... those are cubes if that’s ur graveyard there based on the look... I don’t think they have naturalized to the area tho considering it sounds like u put the spent subs out there recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been throwing my subs there for about 6 months ... I might be wrong but it seems like its been at least 2 weeks since I threw the last out ... I just threw a new one out today though it wasn't entirely spent but it wasn't really producing anything but blobs ... I threw it in a koolaid container a couple months ago it was damn near five inches thick and the lid was solid white
I babied it for a couple months but just got blobs so I threw it on out today on top of where the other ones are popping
  • MycoAnt81 likes this

#15 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

And why not?

I've seriously kept those meaty mofo's for myself!

Mother Nature still does a better job than you can indoors.

• PJammer24, Boebs, Moonless and 1 other like this

#16 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:10 PM

And why not?

I'm afraid if I did eat them it would make my trip weird you know? Every weird feeling I got I'd be thinking "damn did I eat poison"
  • roc likes this

#17 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:10 PM

Id chow down, no doubt on a blue ringer lol
Nature's finest would possibly be strong resistance strain spores too

Todays adventure
20190619_104503.jpg
  • roc and Moonless like this

#18 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:15 PM

And why not?

I'm afraid if I did eat them it would make my trip weird you know? Every weird feeling I got I'd be thinking "damn did I eat poison"

If you are haunted by the thought of it then it may be best for you to let someone else enjoy the fruit that does not have any concern.
Perfectly good response with what could ruin it for you!

• firerat and PJammer24 like this

#19 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,026 posts

Donator

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:02 AM

And why not?

Haha I can understand that.

I treat spiders, snakes, wild mushrooms, and cops all the same.

I know some are good, and some are dangerous, but I'm not smart enough to know which ones are which, so I just let them be.

• roc, PJammer24, MycoAnt81 and 2 others like this

#20 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:10 AM

I meant more naturalized to the local environment more than the media. That being said Cubensis do grow on 'enriched' soils.

You need lots of oxygen to trigger anti-oxidant production, in addition even gourmet fruits are richer outdoors.

It's unlikely you will beat the richness of outdoor fruits, indoors, unless you have an extreme setup.

People grow active wood-lovers, by burying colonized cakes-blocks (enriched).

----

https://freshcapmush...he-king-oyster/

Indoor (medium oxygen, limited light) vs outdoor, Golden oyster.

IMG_20160729_212252.jpg   IMG_20160510_152615.jpg

====

Also note, coco coir is not much different in composition to wood, cellulose-lignin (cellulose, hemicellulose, phenols-other).

"Coco’s woody, structural tissues consist of roughly two-thirds carbohydrates and one-third lignin.

The carbohydrates are the complex polysaccharides cellulose and hemicellulose."

Source

----

Psilocybe Cubensis Burma

Here I produced a selective isolate, which was germinated on WL-Tek, plus a sugar peg (cut down toothpick).

Once the peg was colonized, it was transferred to T-Gel + sucrose + MG, then to T-Gel plain.

T-Gel plain, contains no sugar, starch or cellulose (mostly all phenols-other).

The end result was adapted Burma, with white-rot ability.

https://mycotopia.ne...-3#entry1404587

----

Since phenols-other (and other materials), decay to oxygen, the mycelium must facilitate higher amounts of oxygen for enzymes and reactants.

Active materials are a primitive antioxidant, which defends the mycelium from oxidative damage, and allows for more oxygen.

Fruit bodies will normally be growing into air, and usually mycelium prefer to stay just under the surface.

I have noticed when mixing spawn, that the surface growth bruises the most.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3488923/

====

tab1-2k10-92-101.gif

Edited by Ferather, 20 June 2019 - 08:36 AM.

• Spark, PJammer24, Microbe and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!