• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:44 PM

One of the 967 things I love about Japan are the "Road Stations" set up for travelers to stop and take a break. They always have a market of local produce/products.

Usually those products, whether they're foraged food from the forest, fresh garden veggies, potholders crocheted by a grandma, pickles or baked goods, will have a photograph of the grower/maker/forager alongside the product.

It's a wonderful way for small producers to market their goods and get recognition for their work, and a way to promote hyperlocal products in what may be an otherwise slow rural economy.

I was thrilled to find this about ten days ago in a Road Station in a small town in Akita prefecture, in the far north of Honshu: big blocks of spawned substrate ready to take home. I though of you all!

20190612_133934.jpg

500yen is about 4.50USD 

• roc, crazy1, coorsmikey and 6 others like this

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:37 PM

So cool. I'd love to go to Japan. I'd hope to have a local guide that focus on the edges and not the touristy places.
  • JanetPlanet likes this

#3 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,860 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:25 PM

Enjoy the Soltice tomorrow night Janet!

Guess what I'll be doing?

Hint - Asian strain outdoors

Enjoy your trip!

• JanetPlanet likes this

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,042 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:19 PM

How fun is that!!! I too would love to go to Japan. I have a friend in Thailand that keeps bugging me to come visit. I just dont dig the idea of being in a plane that long, and over the big pond.

#5 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:12 AM

So cool. I'd love to go to Japan. I'd hope to have a local guide that focus on the edges and not the touristy places.

I've been three times now, only to the edges (Shikoku, northern Kyushu and this time Tohoku). I have little interest in the famous places.

This trip focused on the Tohoku region, where only 3% of foreign visitors go. It has a long history of being looked down on by the rest of the country as a backwater populated by bumpkins, and that was before it was hit hard by the 2011 earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster. It was absolutely wonderful! Japan is my Happy Place.
Japan is surprisingly affordable if you steer clear of the big cities and globally famous tourist destinations (sorry, Kyoto. It's just not going to happen for us).

#6 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:17 AM

How fun is that!!! I too would love to go to Japan. I have a friend in Thailand that keeps bugging me to come visit. I just dont dig the idea of being in a plane that long, and over the big pond.

I used to be terrified of flying and realized it was making my life smaller. I did some cognitive behavioral therapy around it and it helped set me free. Microdosing can help with that too  :biggrin:

Go to Thailand and visit your friend!

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

First Class my friend!! Lets plan a trip to to Japan, fly First Class, and drink lots of Sake on the way!! Who is with me?? I will break open the piggy bank and see where I stand as soon as I have a travel mate!!

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:37 AM

When things are as i like them, I live a relatively jet set life... I just got back from Seattle, I am going to Denver for 4th of july, I will be in Santa Cruz this fall... I am sure I will hope on a Boeing or Airbus a few more times this summer also..

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

Sounds like you need to arrange to make a rest stop in Hawaii. About a week on the beach ought to refresh you for the rest of the journey... :cool:

And Japanese Truck Stop sounds like a good name for a band, lol.

Now I'm going to try to wrap my head around the fact that there is a place on Earth where you can buy colonized bags of mushroom substrate at roadside rest stops. Here I'd be lucky to get a corndog, or maybe a bag of stale Funions, which I would of course politely refuse.

• PJammer24, Oneyedraven and JanetPlanet like this

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

Sounds like you need to arrange to make a rest stop in Hawaii. About a week on the beach ought to refresh you for the rest of the journey... :cool:

And Japanese Truck Stop sounds like a good name for a band, lol.

Now I'm going to try to wrap my head around the fact that there is a place on Earth where you can buy colonized bags of mushroom substrate at roadside rest stops. Here I'd be lucky to get a corndog, or maybe a bag of stale Funions, which I would of course politely refuse.

I have been tossing around the idea of traveling to Hawaii for a little vacay but I dont know that I can fit it in this summer... I have a buddy who has been over there for a few months visiting friends and I think he has turned from free loading vacationer to islander... I don't know that he is coming back, so if I ever want to see him again, I may have to visit!

According to him, he is making  a living selling pineapples!!

is it possible to support yourself as a pineapple slinger in Hawaii??

Edited by PJammer24, 21 June 2019 - 02:34 PM.

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

is it possible to support yourself as a pineapple slinger in Hawaii??

Maybe selling them to tourists, if you hollow them out and fill them with top-shelf locally-grown buds first.

Edited by TVCasualty, 22 June 2019 - 08:56 AM.

• roc likes this

#12 WanderingWildcrafter

WanderingWildcrafter

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:15 PM

So neat! I wish such things were more common in rural Canada. It's a fantastic idea.

• JanetPlanet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!