• 4,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:38 AM

Son...

Of...

A...

Bitch.

So, I have heard for years about people complaining of the malady of "Sciatica" but did not know just how horrible this is.

Now I do.

Woke up about a week ago with horrible pain in the back radiating down my leg into my calf.  My muscles were so tense I could barley get out of bed.  Mind you I am an avid hiker, so I wrote it off as muscle strain.  

It's not.  So far the only thing that is working to kill the pain is 3 tabs of Kratom combined with an n-said.  Both work a little by themselves, but together they extinguish the pain.  For now anyways.  I am now trying various exercises with some success, and using rolling steps when hiking.

Thought I would ask the forum if anyone else is dealing with this bullshit.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 21 June 2019 - 10:39 AM.

• Juthro and Rantrapr like this

#2 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:05 AM

Son...

Of...

A...

Bitch.

So, I have heard for years about people complaining of the malady of "Sciatica" but did not know just how horrible this is.

Now I do.

Woke up about a week ago with horrible pain in the back radiating down my leg into my calf.  My muscles were so tense I could barley get out of bed.  Mind you I am an avid hiker, so I wrote it off as muscle strain.  

It's not.  So far the only thing that is working to kill the pain is 3 tabs of Kratom combined with an n-said.  Both work a little by themselves, but together they extinguish the pain.  For now anyways.  I am now trying various exercises with some success, and using rolling steps when hiking.

Thought I would ask the forum if anyone else is dealing with this bullshit.

I've been dealing with it almost 20 years on/off. I screwed my back up skydiving when I was 18, herniating 2 discs and pinching nerves. Sciatica is an everyday part of life for me.

The stretch exercises can help. I find laying on my back, straightening my legs, and slowly lifting to help a bit. 

As far as pain management, I've tried every opiate under the sun and while they help, they to me aren't worth the risk of dependency. It certainly isn't a long term solution for me. I did use Tramadol for a while, and it worked ok until it didn't. I'm allergic to n-saids so the only over the counter I can use is acetaminophen (Tylenol)….yay....

Now I use kratom with a Tylenol when it's really bad. And when it's not unbearable, well, I bear it.

I've been experimenting with CBD oils, topical, oral, and vape, with mixed results.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. If you figure something out, let me know as I'm always looking for new ways to not be in pain.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#3 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

I shall do so sir! But I suspect you know waaaay more than I do currently, although I am looking and experimenting.

Fucking Evolution using the same spine for quadrupeds!!! 

• firerat likes this

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:09 PM

I've had issues with it that have been helped a lot by some serious massage therapy (like Rolfing, aka Structural Integration) and the help of a competent Chiropractor.

The Chiropractor is good for acute pain/discomfort (the symptoms) and the massage therapy is good for addressing the underlying cause.

• Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,725 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

TV just beat me to the punch.  A good massage therapist is worth their weight in gold.  And not one of those massages like you get a couples weekend retreat.  You want more of a sport medicine massage, where they beat the shit out of you you, and cause you pain, lol.

Out of all the things I've tried for my back, a physical therapist has done me the most good.  My problem is severe disk degeneration between t12, and l1, and the same in c2, and c3 in my neck.  Luckily I've never had sciatica issues, but I feel for you brother.  Back pain is a bitch.

• TVCasualty and SteampunkScientist like this

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

A few years ago I did a Rolfing series (9 sessions, one per week). After completing it you're usually good to go until something else gets messed up, so you might not need to go back for a few years (ideally).

It hurt like hell during some of the sessions, but felt better than just 'good' after (more like being high). And by the time I was done I'd gained just under an inch of height (which I frankly didn't need at all, but illustrated how badly I needed some body work done).

IMO massage therapy should not be thought of as an indulgence or reward or whatever, it should be thought of as standard -and required- bodily maintenance (because it is!).

• firerat, Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#7 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:56 PM

I was going to a physical therapist twice a month for a few years until it got too expensive. I taught my wife (she's an RN) what we were doing in my sessions so she helps me when it get real bad.

A GOOD message is definitely worth its weight in gold, and costs about the same. LOL

One thing I will NEVER do again is go to a chiropractor. I went to one who did his "adjustments" and had me stuck in a chair for a week. They have loosened me up a bit but only very short term. My wife can do better. LOL

• Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:40 PM

One thing I will NEVER do again is go to a chiropractor. I went to one who did his "adjustments" and had me stuck in a chair for a week. They have loosened me up a bit but only very short term. My wife can do better. LOL

Yeah, Chiropractic care can be hit or miss, or even downright dangerous. The "competent" part is especially important.

I would never see a Chiro who uses the word 'subluxation' unless it's to make fun of the Chiropractors who do. Or one who claims adjustments are a miracle cure-all for things that have nothing to do with skeletal misalignment.

The only one I've ever visited had two things going for him: Gray hair (also good to look for in airline pilots, or members of any profession where experience can matter a LOT) and he used to be the team Chiropractor for a major University's women's gymnastics team. So he had a lot of experience, and much of it involved adjusting very petite young women.

If he was able to do that for years without putting any of them in a wheelchair then I figured the chance was low that he'd put me in one. So far, so good, though I haven't been back in about 2 years thanks to getting more massage therapy.

• firerat and SteampunkScientist like this

#9 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, Chiropractic care can be hit or miss, or even downright dangerous. The "competent" part is especially important.

I would never see a Chiro who uses the word 'subluxation' unless it's to make fun of the Chiropractors who do. Or one who claims adjustments are a miracle cure-all for things that have nothing to do with skeletal misalignment.

The only one I've ever visited had two things going for him: Gray hair (also good to look for in airline pilots, or members of any profession where experience can matter a LOT) and he used to be the team Chiropractor for a major University's women's gymnastics team. So he had a lot of experience, and much of it involved adjusting very petite young women.

If he was able to do that for years without putting any of them in a wheelchair then I figured the chance was low that he'd put me in one. So far, so good, though I haven't been back in about 2 years thanks to getting more massage therapy.

Yeah, agree on the "Subuxation" - total woo factories in many cases. Can cure any ill no matter what by adjusting your spine.

Bullshit.

Anyway, I have been carefully examining myself and noticed that I have some weakness and numbness, especiall after my 18 mile hike in Mass this last week. One thing I noticed is that I have difficlty in raising my big toe "up". It is very weak unles I shift my back and butt just right, then it is fine. This proves to me that there is pressure on the nerve. May have to look at the new laser pinhole operation that can fix the disk by "zapping" the portion of the herniation of the disk, shrinking it.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 29 June 2019 - 12:48 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!