• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LQT

LQT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:11 PM

I found these today and I am unsure if they are Panaeolus foenisecii or cinctulus. Can anyone help me out? These will be my first magical wild find. *fingers crossed*

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190621_160557.jpg
  • 0621191656.jpg
  • 0621191709.jpg

• joeya likes this

#2 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:20 PM

I'm pretty sure those are foes. The striping up the stem looks straight rather than twisty, and I don't see any bluing in the pictures. Also, cincs usually have a more pronounced border for the ring around the cap. Do you have one printing to see for sure? I see the empty stems, so hopefully that's what's going on with the caps. 

What part of the country is this, and what elevation?

• LQT likes this

#3 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:21 PM

Spore print dark brown or jet black?
  • LQT likes this

#4 LQT

LQT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:31 PM

Some of them broke :(

I've never printed either, I put them on paper with a drop of water on top and covered it with a glass. These were found in northern Michigan.
  • joeya likes this

#5 LQT

LQT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:33 PM

I'm pretty sure those are foes. The striping up the stem looks straight rather than twisty, and I don't see any bluing in the pictures. Also, cincs usually have a more pronounced border for the ring around the cap. Do you have one printing to see for sure? I see the empty stems, so hopefully that's what's going on with the caps. 

What part of the country is this, and what elevation?

626′ elevation

#6 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:38 PM

Some of them broke :(

I've never printed either, I put them on paper with a drop of water on top and covered it with a glass. These were found in northern Michigan.

Hopefully that will give enough of a print to identify. We're rooting for a black print!

#7 LQT

LQT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:16 PM

Here are some better pictures and partial prints from some of the caps... The one that already sporulated is massive and very black. Did i use sporulate correctly? I am assuming that by the way it looks all melty/inky like. I did find a pleated ink cap not too far away too! These were found in a parking lot area in beautiful, lush grass. There are buffalo pastures about a mile or so down the road.

DSC_8789.jpg DSC_8788.jpg DSC_8780.jpg DSC_8787.jpg DSC_8784.jpg DSC_8781.jpg DSC_8785.jpg

Edited by LQT, 21 June 2019 - 06:17 PM.

#8 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 1,999 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:26 AM

Are the spores smooth or ornamented when you look at them at 1000x magnification?

• LQT likes this

#9 LQT

LQT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:22 AM

Are the spores smooth or ornamented when you look at them at 1000x magnification?

I do not have a microscope, do you have a recommendation on one? User friendly/economical for a beginner.

#10 LQT

LQT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:46 AM

Spore prints! They are a dark brown.

Off topic: Mosquitos are more attracted to certain people, it's not in your head. I am one of those people that they really enjoy. I am delicious. 

[Direct Link]

Back on topic: I think I may just try these mushrooms anyways. Thoughts? I am just wanting to clear up all the misconceptions about them. I read a bit about them, but there are  conflicting stories. Some have said they produce euphoria, some say they do nothing, some say they had visuals from them.

DSC_8790.jpg

Edited by LQT, 22 June 2019 - 07:55 AM.

• joeya likes this

#11 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:01 AM

the brown spore prints pretty much confirm, they are foes. I've never tried them myself (at least not knowingly) but have heard they may be mildly active. In other words, you'd need to eat like a bucket of them to get off. If you try them, just please take the cautious approach and taste a tiny bit, chew, and spit it out. If there is any tingly or uncomfortable feeling in your mouth after that, then I wouldn't go any further. 

#12 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:02 AM

BTW, good job on the spore prints, they came out nice and clean. 

#13 LQT

LQT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

BTW, good job on the spore prints, they came out nice and clean. 

the brown spore prints pretty much confirm, they are foes. I've never tried them myself (at least not knowingly) but have heard they may be mildly active. In other words, you'd need to eat like a bucket of them to get off. If you try them, just please take the cautious approach and taste a tiny bit, chew, and spit it out. If there is any tingly or uncomfortable feeling in your mouth after that, then I wouldn't go any further. 

I appreciate you weighing in so much! Thanks. I'll probably frame them :D

#14 LQT

LQT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

I'm about 30 minutes in now, and the most prominent effect I felt was when I was about 3/4 of the way done with the mug of tea. It was a definite enjoyable haziness that lasted for maybe a minute. I have slight unusual/cramping stomach. Slight itchy watery eyes for a few seconds. I think effects are kind of a very very slight pick me up. Like coffee+ so far. Meh. Beautiful day out though! Maybe I will see what else I can find...

06221909521.jpg

06221910021.jpg

0622191003a1.jpg

06221909591.jpg

06221910221.jpg

• joeya likes this

#15 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:44 PM

From Wikipedia:-
Panaeolus foenisecii, commonly called the mower's mushroom, haymaker or brown hay mushroom, is a very common and widely distributed little brown mushroom often found on lawns. In 1963 Tyler and Smith found that this mushroom contains serotonin, 5-HTP and 5-methoxy-N,N-Dimethyltryptamine.[2] In many field guides it is erroneously listed as psychoactive, however the mushroom does not produce enough 5-MeO-DMT for any noticeable effects.[3]

#16 LQT

LQT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

I don't know if this related, but I just took an amazing nap. Top notch, no kidding.
  • joeya likes this

#17 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:01 PM

I actually found some today too, at a buddies mothers funeral. As soon as I picked one, someone asked if it was a "magic mushroom" and I instinctively replied no, not quite. It's just a panaeolus foenescii. Of course, that branded me as the mushroom nerd for the day!

• LQT likes this

#18 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 1,999 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:16 PM

I do not have a microscope, do you have a recommendation on one? User friendly/economical for a beginner.

Something like an Amscope B-120ms or equivalent OMAX would work very well.   Also get a stage micrometer, should be about $10.

• WanderingWildcrafter likes this

#19 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 1,999 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:17 PM

From Wikipedia:-
Panaeolus foenisecii, commonly called the mower's mushroom, haymaker or brown hay mushroom, is a very common and widely distributed little brown mushroom often found on lawns. In 1963 Tyler and Smith found that this mushroom contains serotonin, 5-HTP and 5-methoxy-N,N-Dimethyltryptamine.[2] In many field guides it is erroneously listed as psychoactive, however the mushroom does not produce enough 5-MeO-DMT for any noticeable effects.[3]

That is incorrect and I fixed that article.

• ethnobotanist420 and Cuboid like this

#20 LQT

LQT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 01:30 PM

I never trust Wikipedia lol, unless it has good source to go to. Thanks for the scope recommendation.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!