Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Internet and phone privacy/safety, you're probably doing it wrong.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,608 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:56 AM

https://www.idropnew...term=Newsletter

Google may owe U.K. iPhone users around £750 (or $900) for allegedly bypassing privacy settings and snooping on their devices.
That’s because senior judges in the country have gave a massive legal action against Google the green light, overturning a previous court decision.

The Lawsuit
Back in 2017, a massive representative action lawsuit (similar to a class action in the U.S.) was levied at Google over certain Safari browser tracking practices.
The legal action was spearheaded by a consumer campaign group called “Google You Owe Us,” which alleged that the company had illegally collected personal data by specifically bypassing privacy settings on the iPhone.
But that legal action was shot down in 2018 in London’s High Court. One of the judges who blocked the case said that the facts didn’t support the plaintiffs’ claims.
Now, senior judges have reversed that ruling, allowing the massive legal action to go ahead, according to U.K.-based paper The Sun.
The case, worth about £3.2 billion, could see G oogle paying out as much as £750 to more than 4 million iPhone users in the U.K.

The Practice
The specific practice that the lawsuit refers to took place between August 2011 and February 2012.
According to a Wall Street Journal report from 2012, Google and other advertising firms were discovered to be using specific techniques to circumvent privacy protections baked into Apple’s Safari for iOS browser.
The technique allegedly allowed Google to deposit cookies on user devices, even if they were set to block those cookies.
More specifically, the Journal noted that Google took advantage of a loophole in Safari’s privacy settings. At the time, Safari didn’t block website tracking if the user interacted with the website in some way — such as by filling out a form.
Google then allegedly added some code within its ads which tricked Safari into thinking the cookies were part of an invisible form filled out by the user.
The Mountain View tech giant denied any wrongdoing, for its part. In a statement, it said that it used “known Safari functionality to provide features that signed-in Google users had enabled.”
Apple, for its part, eventually closed the WebKit loophole that Google had taken advantage of.

What About iPhone Users in Other Countries?
While the lawsuit mentioned earlier specifically applies to iPhone owners in the U.K., users in other countries may not need to feel left out.
In the wake of reports that Google had bypassed Safari privacy protections, a similar class-action lawsuit was levied at the tech giant in the U.S.
Around the time, Google agreed to settle both federal and state charges. But, according to Reuters, due to a legal doctrine, the $5.9 million in settlement money didn’t actually end up going to class-action members.
Comment5
But back in August, a federal appeals court struck down that settlement and said that a lower court should “revisit the case,” Reuters reported.
In other words, there’s a chance that a different outcome for the class-action lawsuit could be found by lower courts. The case has since been returned to the U.S. District Court in Delaware.

• Sidestreet and Myc like this

#42 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

Good to see, is the tide finally starting to turn in our favor on this privacy issue?

#43 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,698 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:05 AM

Wait, we can legally eat people?

• Moonless likes this

#44 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:40 PM

Wait, we can legally eat people?

Maybe, if you can get them chewed and swallowed.  Not sure about the coming out the other end part yet.

#45 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:26 PM

Today's best Google alternatives can be found here.

Reclaim your privacy and stop using anything Google!

• flashingrooster likes this

#46 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,741 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:04 PM

I'm sorry, but this too is from them, RE: phone use:

[Direct Link]

• flashingrooster likes this

#47 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:09 PM

I am convinced the smart phone disrupts dreaming when in close proximity to the head. Placebo is 50% effective but I swear I have a better rest when the phone is kept in another room or our of arms reach

#48 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:08 PM

Has anyone used protonmail's free VPN version? Again, the free version.

• roc likes this

#49 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,550 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:32 AM

I am convinced the smart phone disrupts dreaming when in close proximity to the head. Placebo is 50% effective but I swear I have a better rest when the phone is kept in another room or our of arms reach

Cell phone software is intentionally made to distract you and to get you to interact with it (i.e. control your behavior).  I don't know of any studies involving sleep, but there's evidence that having a phone around you seriously disrupts your focus when awake:

https://www.mic.com/...ining-your-life

• roc, Moonless and flashingrooster like this

#50 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:03 AM

Has anyone used protonmail's free VPN version? Again, the free version.

Yes it has a limited number of servers available but does not throttle down the speed.

Excellent choice!

• coorsmikey and Moonless like this

#51 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

I am very suspicious of anything that is free... how protected are you really. Many offer no log's but secretly keep them

#52 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:01 PM

Cell phone software is intentionally made to distract you and to get you to interact with it (i.e. control your behavior).  I don't know of any studies involving sleep, but there's evidence that having a phone around you seriously disrupts your focus when awake:

https://www.mic.com/...ining-your-life

Yes, the crack addiction is another aspect of the phone. I guess I was specifically talking about the effects of micro waves in and around your head

Edited by flashingrooster, 08 November 2019 - 05:01 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!