• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zenzen

zenzen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

I have had some good luck with pre made, out of the box substrates and spawns ready to go.  Today I'm using the 1lb blocks i got from Ancient Path that are a mix of straw, dung and grain.  Pasteurized and ready to go in bags.  I have used some rye berry bags from another Amazon vendor as well and its pretty much the same thing.  Sterile and ready to go. 

The spores im using today are B+ i got from lilshop.  I know more affordable methods exist, but for me with work, family and life the way it is, I have zero time to deal with pressure cookers and waiting for things to cool or be ideal for mycology.  This is all part of my process I use for micro dose in dealing with my PTS and just wanted to share.

Its the same as all other methods at this point when it comes to making sure things are wiped down with alcohol and heating the needle to reduce chances of contamination.    I wipe down the counter top with bleach as well.

1.jpg

Im going with B+ today.

2.jpg

Once its done I write down the date and strain so I can keep track of it in my incubator.  Because this batch does not have a healing port, I just inoculate in the front of the bag and put scotch tape over the hole.

3.jpg

I add the bags to my incubator. I currently have two other strains rolling with about 8 or 10 days between inoculations. 

incu_inside.jpg

My incubator is a tub floating in a smaller tub kept warm with a fish tank heater. 

incu_outside.jpg

Currently im using the bags to fruit in and try for three flushes.  I will post some photos down the road of the end result and how I grind things up into medicine. 

Peace ~ 

Edited by zenzen, 25 June 2019 - 09:54 AM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#2 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,268 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:46 AM

Is this your first time cultivating?

And there is nothing wrong with purchasing material. It isn’t lazy IMO, just much more costly in the long run. But nothing wrong with at all. Everyone’s circumstances are different.

The only thing I can say, if I may, is why are using an incubator? Are your temps very low, say below 65 degrees Fahrenheit?

If your ambient temps are anywhere in the mid 60’s-upper 70’s, then you will be perfectly fine for all stages of growth for cubes.

Also, are you inoculating in open air?

Good luck my friend and keep us posted.
  • coorsmikey and PJammer24 like this

#3 zenzen

zenzen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:10 AM

I live in New Hampshire and we dont use central heat/air so it can get in the low 50s in our home or in the garage at night and 80 during the day.   I have done the PFtek in the past but found it too much work.   Yep, I just inoculate in the open.    I would love to have the time and space to do things right, but my house is filled with kids and people at odd times and when I have free time I try and spend it with my family.

• firerat, PJammer24 and peacefrog like this

#4 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,268 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:26 PM

Understood.

I only have one 3 year old and my wife in the house and it feels like a full house lol. I can understand your circumstances.

Keep us posted and good vibes my friend!
  • firerat and zenzen like this

#5 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,026 posts

Donator

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:21 PM

I live in New Hampshire and we dont use central heat/air so it can get in the low 50s in our home or in the garage at night and 80 during the day.   I have done the PFtek in the past but found it too much work.   Yep, I just inoculate in the open.    I would love to have the time and space to do things right, but my house is filled with kids and people at odd times and when I have free time I try and spend it with my family.

I hear that bud. 

I have a 2.5 year old and a 4 month old along with my wife and 2 dogs.....in a townhouse.

I'm an avid homebrewer and everything I do now is inside a 6x4 storage unit with no ac and a water heater taking up 1/4 of the space.

And I have to do it all late at night on the weekends.

• zenzen likes this

#6 GrizzlySprinter

GrizzlySprinter

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

Nothing wrong with buying reputable premade product. My hands and body are all jacked from a spina cord injury so I lack the dexterity, coordination, and patience of an able body. I have to explain the whole process and have a helper with my work so premade sub is good to keep it simple and reduce contaminates and other avenues of failure.

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:18 PM

I'd grow a more potent species for microdose. I microdose hoogenshageneii (hoogs) or copelandia (copes aka pans).

• zenzen likes this

#8 zenzen

zenzen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:29 PM

I'd grow a more potent species for microdose. I microdose hoogenshageneii (hoogs) or copelandia (copes aka pans).

Thanks for that info. I’ll look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for that info. I’ll look into it.

I understand that you're not in a position to DIY a lot of stuff, but this is must reading IMHO:

https://mycotopia.ne...-pans-grow-log/

#10 zenzen

zenzen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:29 AM

Update on the b+24bc0b23e21b7d3dc3aa8154b3e3b6bd.jpg

Bottom of each

9359c799ebb6f6d310c2acbb7d31c572.jpg

From left to right of above photo lineup

91f4e798872bf8c9d1237010fde58289.jpg
49204db8810230b7f992f92c2f99b06e.jpg

e6e1ed306bf3cce2c1c090cf62982787.jpg

#11 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:52 AM

Wow!

You skipped the grain spawn altogether.

Good luck.

• zenzen likes this

#12 zenzen

zenzen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:00 AM

Wow!

Good luck.

I have some grain spawn as well. I wanted to try this manure ready block. It’s a mix of popcorn straw rye berry and horse dung. It’s been pretty impressive so far so we will see. They weren’t cheap but wanted to give it a shot with the other bags i have going.

#13 zenzen

zenzen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:05 AM

Wow!

Good luck.

Here is the same tek i did with Mexi on the 17th of last month. It’s almost fully colonized

f73c74f6ceb9ea799f40fad364d3152d.jpg5605ab01ed835cd134649d4938132918.jpgfc503949657f6606965005b28284a6aa.jpg

Edited by zenzen, 10 July 2019 - 08:06 AM.

• roc likes this

#14 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:11 AM

Interesting approach!

When I saw your first post I thought you would do the grain first and then spawn the substrate with it.

Carry on!

Looking good!

#15 zenzen

zenzen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:30 AM

whats interesting is the mycelium goes airborne like grass growing or long hair trying to leave the bag from a central spiky ball in the middle of the block.  Not at all like grain where it grows directly on the grain and then webs around in clumps.  Not sure why. I have to keep shaking the bag to get the bulk of the substrate to cover the it all.  

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!