• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

I had a noc session on June 11. Here are two representatives, one on the left is Nepal Chitwan, on the right is Malabar coast. Obviously, the Nepal is the much faster colonizer. I will be growing these two jars out side by side so I can document how fast and prolific they are, compared to one another, through each stage. 

20190627_145345.jpg

• crazy1, Shadowlord, Amanita Versicula and 2 others like this

#2 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Sanity Within

• OG VIP
  • 299 posts

Donator

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:16 PM

Have been gone too long~

don't KNOW about those types of FUN GUYS~

will be interested to SEE how IT goes for you…Good work+

#3 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:22 PM

Have been gone too long~

don't KNOW about those types of FUN GUYS~

will be interested to SEE how IT goes for you…Good work+

Malabar coast are from southern India and have been available since at least 2006. Nepal Chitwan have also been around about as long. Both have been the subject of some recent discussion on here, since I happen to be growing both out I just figured I'd document the comparison on here. 

• Amanita Versicula likes this

#4 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:31 PM

The Chitwan I'm working with was quick as well in comparison to the Ecuador.

#5 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:15 PM

Just took this picture. The Nepal Chitwan has been 100% for a few days, just waiting for pins to birth it and start growing it out. 

The Malabar Coast is advancing, but so much slower than the Nepal. I should point out that the Nepal, which is a multi-spore syringe, is even beating out a jar of Costa Rican which was inoculated from a liquid culture which began growing within a day of inoculating. This stuff is just incredible!

20190701_120910.jpg

Edited by joeya, 01 July 2019 - 05:45 PM.

• Amanita Versicula likes this

#6 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:44 PM

The Malabar, this time on the left, is almost there. Meanwhile, the Nepal Chitwan has been fully colonized for several days and is just consolidating and waiting for pins to show. I'm keeping them together, in a dark closet, because I would really like to put them in the light together, to induce pinning simultaneously, and hopefully to birth them at the same time. But, if the Chitwan looks too ready, I'm not going to hold it back. 

20190707_143257.jpg

#7 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:28 PM

They'll pin eventually even in the dark... my money is on the Chitwan so keep an eye out for pins any day now.

You may need to flip the Mal to get it to finish the bottom but I'd give it a couple of more days.

Edited by roc, 07 July 2019 - 08:43 PM.

• joeya likes this

#8 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

You may need to flip the Mal to get it to finish the bottom but I'd give it a couple of more days.

Actually, the bottom of the Malabar filled in early, it was a very interesting progression. This piece is still closing in, slowly, so I think it's on it's way without any intervention on my part. 

Interestingly enough, the Columbian Rust that was so far ahead of the Malabar has slowed down to put it behind now. I'm not really focusing on it too much, my big interest here is the Nepal vs Malabar, the other strains are just for fun and spore prints for a later project. 

• roc likes this

#9 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

The Malabar coast has finally reached the 100% colonization mark this morning. The Chitwan, however, is showing some nice knotting and I would expect pins in the next day or two. It's a fun race to watch, and really looking forward to the celebration at the finish line!

20190710_102345.jpg

• roc and Juddlight like this

#10 zenzen

zenzen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:39 AM

The chitwan I have going is very fast. 

• joeya likes this

#11 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:49 AM

Both of these jars have done very little. They have both been 100% for several days and still look healthy, but neither one has pinned yet. Another jar of Malabar, innoculated at the same time as these, is now in the fruiting chamber with several pins growing on it, despite that it finished colonizing well after these two did. Interesting, how individual these jars can be with multi-spore. I'll have to try this test again with clones. 

#12 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

Remarkably, the Malabar coast set a pin before the Nepal Chitwan, despite the Chitwan colonizing significantly faster than the Malabar. 

I'm not too surprised, I have other jars of both, and only the Malabar has made it to a fruiting chamber, in fact one of those cakes is probably going to be harvested by the end of the week. 

20190722_085938.jpg

• Juddlight likes this

#13 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:23 AM

At long last, the Nepal Chitwan has pinned! It also turned out to be the most tenacious cake I've yet to birth. It's grip on the inside of the jar was incredible, it took me shaking and flooding it with water for about 20 minutes to get it out! It's finally soaking though and will take it's place in the FC tomorrow, alongside the Malabar which is now covered with vermiculite and mycelium, but no fruits yet. 

20190730_090444.jpg

#14 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:10 AM

20190803_100040.jpg This Nepal Chitwan is amazing. After taking a long break between colonization and pinning, and allowing the Malabar to pass it and enter the fruiting chamber several days ahead of it, it's back in the lead.

The Malabar, on the left, got nice, fuzzy mycelium covering it fast, but is very slow to pin. The Nepal, on the right, threw pins overnight. 

Needless to say, I've started several grain jars of Nepal, I think I'm really going to like this strain!

#15 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:53 PM

I will probably be harvesting a moderate sized flush from the Nepal this evening. These are some nice plump stems so far, looking forward to a potency check, probably on Wednesday!

• Hattrick likes this

#16 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:09 AM

20190806_085258.jpg 20190806_085825.jpg

The Nepal Chitwan is the clear winner in this one. In the first photo, it is the one with mushrooms on it, the other cake which is visible is the Malabar, with no pins yet. The second photo shows the picked harvest. Three of them are quite large, and will be consumed tomorrow morning! I really hope these are potent, I already have several grain jars noc'd with this strain, I would love to see a nice big tub of them soon!

• roc likes this

#17 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

The Chitwan remains one of my favorites!

• joeya likes this

#18 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:45 PM

Three hours in and these things are incredible! I've been in sensory overload all afternoon and it's just now starting to level off. The walls have been breathing, the ceilings melting, and the fish had a lot too say from it's bowl earlier!

• mrmushroomwolf likes this

#19 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:09 PM

I think Nepal is as good as it gets with cubes, the ride was just fine, and the grow was good on cakes. Looking forward to some of these grain jars finishing so I can spawn some tubs and get cranking!

I had some great visuals today, would have been great to see how they work at night, or in a good lightning storm. The closed eye mosaics were neat, they seemed to have images interwoven among them. 

#20 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for this thread and all the details of the race!!!

Nepal is a solid strain for sure, and as you've experienced, quite nice and enjoyable.

Looking forward to see you run some tubs of this.

Peace

• joeya likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!