13 replies to this topic

#1 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:12 PM

Drying and Storage:

I've been experimenting with various drying and storage methods.  The thought being to develop a long term storage protocol.  I've been in the new vaults looking around.  I picked up a Presto brand dehydrator.  I would generally slice or tear the fruits in half and place in dehydrator until "cracker dry."  and I placed a qp of fruit into ziplock bag after dehydration.  They have been stored like that for almost a year and kept well.  But I was still concerned about leakage with the ziplock so I picked up a Seal-a-Meal brand vacuum sealer.  It seems to have worked well so far. 

Here is where I'm at now. 

After harvesting fruits I place them on paper plates with fan for 24 hours (in an air conditioned room, i.e. removing moisture from air).  I then place them in dehydrator for 30-60mins (my unit does not have a temp control but I leave all the extra trays in to help space out the fruit from heat source and add open volume).  Then I place them in box with damp rid.  And here is where I come to the question(s).  I have read of people using damp-rid in two ways.  First is to simply place the "crystals" in a bowl and dispose of them as they become saturated or disappear (I'd like to see pictures of this).  Second is to place the "crystals" in a stocking (or sock as I did) and hang that stocking above a bowl so that as it becomes saturated with H2O, it drips into the bowl. 

When I have seen the "stocking over a bowl method" for removing moisture in basements, the stocking will eventually appear to have a covering of liquid water that drips into the bowl below.  In this bin pictured below, the sock has not yielded visible water (after 24 hours) but the fruits feel fully dry to the touch; very firm and crack with a nice snap sound.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• P1040050.JPG
  • P1040051.JPG
  • P1040046.JPG
  • P1040047.JPG
  • P1040048.JPG
  • P1040049.JPG

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

Drying and Storage:

I've been experimenting with various drying and storage methods.  The thought being to develop a long term storage protocol.  I've been in the new vaults looking around.  I picked up a Presto brand dehydrator.  I would generally slice or tear the fruits in half and place in dehydrator until "cracker dry."  and I placed a qp of fruit into ziplock bag after dehydration.  They have been stored like that for almost a year and kept well.  But I was still concerned about leakage with the ziplock so I picked up a Seal-a-Meal brand vacuum sealer.  It seems to have worked well so far. 

Here is where I'm at now. 

After harvesting fruits I place them on paper plates with fan for 24 hours (in an air conditioned room, i.e. removing moisture from air).  I then place them in dehydrator for 30-60mins (my unit does not have a temp control but I leave all the extra trays in to help space out the fruit from heat source and add open volume).  Then I place them in box with damp rid.  And here is where I come to the question(s).  I have read of people using damp-rid in two ways.  First is to simply place the "crystals" in a bowl and dispose of them as they become saturated or disappear (I'd like to see pictures of this).  Second is to place the "crystals" in a stocking (or sock as I did) and hang that stocking above a bowl so that as it becomes saturated with H2O, it drips into the bowl. 

When I have seen the "stocking over a bowl method" for removing moisture in basements, the stocking will eventually appear to have a covering of liquid water that drips into the bowl below.  In this bin pictured below, the sock has not yielded visible water (after 24 hours) but the fruits feel fully dry to the touch; very firm and crack with a nice snap sound.

Thoughts?

I have an upside down crate with a damprid tub underneath and then put my dehydrator on top of that.

• ilikethings likes this

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:50 PM

Kinda way over done dude. Just dehydrator till cracker dry. The vacuum sealer is a good idea. Zip lock do always leak.

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:08 PM

Kinda way over done dude. Just dehydrator till cracker dry. The vacuum sealer is a good idea. Zip lock do always leak.

Are you discouraging the OP from being efficient and from experimenting?

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:12 PM

Nope. Experiment away. In one sense any combination of the above mentioned methods will get them to dry. The only thing that may make a difference is time. I feel most efficient is the fastest method that gets them to cracker dry.

I have fanned dried while waiting for the dehydrator to finish a batch.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#6 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,266 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 04:47 AM

I have used both dehydrators and fan to desiccant chsmber methods in the past.

The dehydrator method is the quickest but fan drying for 2-3 days or until rubbery dry, then desiccant chamber to finish them off, works just as well IME.

As far as the desiccant crystals getting full of water, it will happen overtime. But as long as you have the fruit pretty darn dried before placing them in the chamber, it will take a few batches before this happens. If you stick in freshly harvested fruit in a desiccant chamber, then they will fill with water very fast and will form a hard block on the surface that will not absorb anymore. Until you remove that layer and/or replace with fresh desiccant, you are pissing in the wind.

#7 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,862 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

Are you peeps using heat on your dehydrators to dry?

#8 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

Are you peeps using heat on your dehydrators to dry?

Yup. I have one like the OP, no temp control. I clocked it at ~150 with my infrared thermometer. The damp rid underneath seems to take about an hour off my dry time.

#9 mad420pumpkinz

mad420pumpkinz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 02:24 PM

I just went to put some dehydrated shrooms into my jar of aborts lil stuff and the shrooms already in the jar were moist and a gettin squishy..the oxygen absorbers didnt work...no more dessicant pack around either...
Threw everything back in the dehydrater.... Any tips? My jar w 1.5oz and silica packs etc is fine

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 02:32 PM

With no other option stick em in the freezer. I'd imagine if its just aborts and such you're gonna eat those babies as soon as you get an appropriate amount. Thing about O2 absorbers is they require a certain level of moisture to work, but they don't do much to maintain a dry environment.

#11 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,862 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

I just went to put some dehydrated shrooms into my jar of aborts lil stuff and the shrooms already in the jar were moist and a gettin squishy..the oxygen absorbers didnt work...no more dessicant pack around either...
Threw everything back in the dehydrater.... Any tips? My jar w 1.5oz and silica packs etc is fine

The little 2 gram desiccant paks I use can be thrown in the oven or microwave and dried or recharged as they call it.

Use them over and over again.

• HrVanker and CatsAndBats like this

#12 Commienerd

Commienerd

Padawan

• Free Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

I've dried them before and zip locked them (now I have a foodsaver), but they would eventually stop being magic. It was weird. What's the typical shelf life of dried magic mushrooms?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#13 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for all the feed back, input, and discussion!

@CatsAndBats: I like the vertical design you describe for a small footprint drying system.  I noticed when I would use electric dehydrator the dried fruits would some time come out with odd yellow bruising.  They were still effective.  Nice to learn that your IR test came out at 150f.

@peacefrog: I too have found that pre-drying with fan till rubbery (or even post-rubbery if done in a room with modern air conditioning) helps in whether you send them to either an electric dehydrator or a chem.-dehydro for crispy finishing.

@jkdeth: I agree it may be overdone.  I’m still working out the details!

I am trying to keep some fruits in a dehydration-limbo where they are in a chamber and become dehydrated but are not removed and placed in long term storage until all the fruits from the lot of cakes have been gathered.  The purpose of which is to gather hard base-line data for future nutrient tests.

Edited by ilikethings, 02 July 2019 - 08:58 PM.

#14 mad420pumpkinz

mad420pumpkinz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:19 AM

I posted in my grow thread but then remembered this thread.
I got these..but are they safe to keep in with the shrooms (already dried of course)
7cd1bc749733ff2d936aba4697328306.jpg9551f30f89830b9474257448aa1d2859.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!