121 replies to this topic

#21 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

Dehydrate until cracker dry. Place desiccant pack in well-sealing glass jar. Place mushrooms in jar. Close jar. It's that simple.
  • sandman, ilikethings, Misfit and 2 others like this

#22 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 993 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

Dehydrate until cracker dry. Place desiccant pack in well-sealing glass jar. Place mushrooms in jar. Close jar. It's that simple.

I want to like this a second time. 1

Edited by Misfit, 25 August 2019 - 12:45 PM.

• ilikethings, Calba and Boorick76 like this

#23 Calba

Calba

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:36 PM

That helps loads ilikethings, thanks for the considered response!

As a new grower it's hard to know what are essential steps which might ruin a full flush if missed and what are habits that other growers have got into but which aren't actually necessary. If you don't have much time to spare then keeping it to the essentials can be well.... essential lol.

Thanks for explaining your methods and reasoning.

Edited by Calba, 25 August 2019 - 01:55 PM.

• ilikethings likes this

#24 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

@Calba, your welcome.  I'm by no means an expert (i.e. I have yet to work with bulk teks beyond two experiments but have ostensibly mastered the basic pf cake tek and have been conducting yield analyses--and prepping all other aspects like drying and storage before attempting a conventional bulk grow) but have spent much time on making sure all my hard work does not go to waste due to improper storage. 

Although I agree with DonShadow and Misfit, I figured I'd spend the time to fully explain myself for your sake (I too like to hear the reasoning behind people's assertions).  I've been there and know how you were probably feeling/experiencing a similar concern for preserving all your hard work and time spent.  I still need to get a better understanding of the different chems used in products like "damp rid" versus desiccant packs.  My only experience with desiccant packs is when I've found them in new shoes and packs of mass-produced beef jerky!  My understanding is that the compound used in things like damp rid are designed/intended to removed moister whereas desiccant packs are intended for maintaining a stable moisture level. 

people wax on about loss of potency but before I established my current hardware and protocol, I had a couple O's in just a 1gal zip-lock that were sun-dried, and they were still just as potent (same effects at same dose) after months of storage. 

• Calba and Jinroh like this

#25 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:02 AM

I've been harvesting my first flush over the past few days and I've been using a fan heater to dry them. It's pretty much the same as a food dehydrator, except it blows hot air sideways. Gets them cracker dry in 2-3 hours. Then I put them in a double ziplock bag with desiccant.

#26 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:07 PM

Please help.
I have damprid on hand and a presto food dehydrator.
I've decided to dehydrate with the dehydrator.
How long in the dehydrater? It heats to 165 average. I don't want to ruin my babies.
Is using damprid okay? Storage suggestions...

Edited by Boorick76, 15 September 2019 - 12:17 PM.

#27 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 993 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

Just dehydrate till the are dry. Don’t use the damprid.
  • ilikethings likes this

#28 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:51 PM

Thanks Misfit. There are so many opinions. They've been going an hour. I don't have a situation where i can leave them out for periods of time. Can i go straight to a bag or jar from there?

#29 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 993 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:38 PM

That’s a whole different problem. I usually set mine to just run for 10-12 hours so I don’t know how long it actually takes. It’s a lot more than 1 hour though.
  • Boorick76 likes this

#30 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 993 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:39 PM

And as long as they are dried. Don’t put half dried fruits in and seal them. Things get a little weird. I do cracker dry in mason jar with desiccant packet inside.
  • Boorick76 likes this

#31 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:57 PM

You don't know how much your info helps me. Thanks!
I will check them in 10.
I can use the dehydrator for as long as needed. The only issues are trying to have them out in a box with a fan blowing. Wasn't sure if the dh for that long would ruin them. It's kinda my only option.
Keeping it simple rules the day once again.
Without your help, I would just be stumbling along blindly. ....
  • Jinroh likes this

#32 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

Sometimes you might find you need more drying space than a dehydrator can provide. This is a great problem to have, lol.

A method that works very well for that is to either use a dedicated closet or custom-built enclosure made from PVC pipe and plastic sheeting. Buy or build a set of shelves made out of window screens (I found a bunch real cheap at a Habitat for Humanity store), and set them up so that a dehumidifier will fit in the space and be next to (but not directly under!) the shelves. I also add a box fan directly under the screen shelves to recirculate the hot and dry air produced by the dehumidifier. It's very helpful to run a drain hose out of the space so you don't have to go in it every time the bucket needs to be emptied.

The dehumidifier (set it on "max" or the lowest humidity level) will heat up a confined space to around 100-120 degrees F, which speeds things up nicely and the shelves allow for continuous through-put of mushrooms. I put fresh-picked on the top shelf where it's hottest, and as they get drier I move them to lower shelves. They will get cracker-dry on the bottom shelf, so there's no need for any final desiccant.

Lots of bits of fungi and vermiculite (or whatever they were grown with) will fall through the screen as the mushrooms dry up which is why you don't want to set the dehumidifier directly under the shelves.

• p2p, bezevo, Jinroh and 1 other like this

#33 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 870 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

Be sure and take your climate into consideration .

If you live in a desert with low RH  just dehydrate cracker dry and store with a desiccant pack in a sealed jar cool dark  .

BUT !  if you live in a very humid climate  that has 70% to 100% RH  Relative Humidity .  You might want to dehydrate cracker dry  then finish in sealed container with the damp-rid. ,then seal in a jar with a descant pack store cool dry place .

your climate  makes a big difference . In a dry climate you might  be able to dry  with just a fan blowing on the  mushrooms , but in a  humid climate this might not work and you would need a dehydrator ,then desiccant ect.

the above suggestion  ..... dehumidifier....in a closet ect along with  dehydrator ect  is great idea !

Edited by bezevo, 15 September 2019 - 03:01 PM.

• ilikethings, ElPirana and Boorick76 like this

#34 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:07 PM

Sometimes you might find you need more drying space than a dehydrator can provide. This is a great problem to have, lol.

I was thinking the same thing! That would be an awsome problem to have!

• Boorick76 likes this

#35 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:08 PM

Why is it that my mind always over complicates matters? What a simple, yet ingenious method. My mind created a perfect picture of your description. One day, I too, would like to have that problem and already have a solution(thank you). My level of experience is far from that, for the time being. I've found myself sitting here reading these topics for hours, hoping that I soak up some of the genius. One thing Im trying to do, is stop making things so difficult and be patient. Back to basics, so to speak.
I have to figure out the rhythm of these things, the cycles. So as to keep them good. It takes a bit of timing. ....

#36 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 993 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

It’s normal. I do the same thing. I read heat. I read no heat. Then read heat isn’t an issue again. Every single thing we do in this hobby has a dozen or more ways that I can be done. Drying doesn’t need to be that hard though.
Load the trays. Turn it on. I do 2 clicks below max heat and set it for 12 hours. They are usually completely cracker dry. Drop it in a mason jar with a desi pack in it and seal it up.
That’s as easy as it needs to be.
But I’m sure someone else does it a completely different way.

Edited by Misfit, 15 September 2019 - 03:53 PM.

• Boorick76 likes this

#37 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

So far patience has been my biggest issue. But now that I have had some success it is getting easier. There are so many different ways to get results and some are better than others, but what I have found is that at least with parts of the process it comes down to personal preference.

Edited by Jinroh, 15 September 2019 - 05:10 PM.

• Boorick76 likes this

#38 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 993 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

I’ve also found that patience was much more available after the first flush hahahaha
  • Phungivore, JanetPlanet, Jinroh and 1 other like this

#39 DetritusTheEgo

DetritusTheEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:56 PM

I'm in a low humidity area so I usually just place them on paper towels, a screen, or a rack with a fan blowing on them and let them dehydrate themselves. If I had a dehydrator I'd probably use that when I was feeling impatient or had somewhere to be with them.

Best long term storage for personal head stash purposes in my opinion is to mix your haul into honey, place that mixture into an appropriately sized air tight container in the fridge. Label it something like "cat food" or anything unappealing to anyone unawares so friends, family, or roommates don't throw it in their tea if they make it past the look and smell. The psily will homogenize into the water in the honey since it's water soluble and give you a dose that you can repeat time after time at the same weight / volume until you make your next batch. The other plus is that it no longer looks like something illegal if it happens to be so in your area.

• Jinroh and Boorick76 like this

#40 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:06 PM

Best long term storage for personal head stash purposes in my opinion is to mix your haul into honey, place that mixture into an appropriately sized air tight container in the fridge. Label it something like "cat food" or anything unappealing to anyone unawares so friends, family, or roommates don't throw it in their tea if they make it past the look and smell. The psily will homogenize into the water in the honey since it's water soluble and give you a dose that you can repeat time after time at the same weight / volume until you make your next batch. The other plus is that it no longer looks like something illegal if it happens to be so in your area.

I have heard of doing this... seems like a great option and honey is naturally antibiotic so I doubt it would ever go bad. I am curious how you calculate dose though. I am assuming you are talking about already dried fruits and not fresh. How about the taste of the honey? How do you usually take it? Mix it in some tea? I am asking for a "friend."

(No I'm not. I am asking for me).  :cool:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!