• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 DetritusTheEgo

DetritusTheEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:19 PM

Indeed the honey will naturally preserve the goods unless you leave it out in too hot of an environment and it ferments. There are a few honey recipes in the vaults to not go too far off on a tangent in this thread about it. The search function doesn't seem to work for me when blocking javascript or I'd track some of the links down... Chocolate is also a good option but tempering chocolate can be a fickle mistress.

TVCasualty has a recipe that outlines weights, some spices he adds, and the process. There is a blue honey recipe as well which I don't recall much of the specifics about. There was a stealth honey where any solid material was removed from the final product.

• Boorick76 likes this

#42 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:28 PM

Well I should have known there would be plenty of info about that here. I can search them. I live in a forest and humidity is very high except in Fall and Winter. I will definitely be trying the honey, I plan to try as many variations of storage as I can just for the fun of it. I am retired and have plenty of time. I live alone and own my home so stealth is not an issue unless I try to sell it. Which is out of the question. This new hobby of mine is Top Secret and no one will ever know... except for Mycotopia!

• Boorick76 likes this

#43 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:43 PM

TVCasualty has a recipe that outlines weights, some spices he adds, and the process. There is a blue honey recipe as well which I don't recall much of the specifics about. There was a stealth honey where any solid material was removed from the final product.

Thanks for the point in the right direction! I found that recipe and "Golly's Stealthier Honey" that you mentioned.

#44 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 05:56 AM

I am also curious about the honey. Please share more.
I spoke to soon. I also found a recipe in the "grow for the masses" guide.

Edited by Boorick76, 16 September 2019 - 05:59 AM.

#45 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:04 AM

Hey folks! Sorry I had a brain fart there. I should have posted the link Detritus mentioned for those interested. Sorry about that Boorick...

https://mycotopia.ne...k-for-cubensis/

• Boorick76 likes this

#46 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:10 PM

I have decided to try the honey recipe with my very first flush. I do not have the required amount of shrooms so I cut the ingredient proportionally to what I did have. Is it normal for the water to turn blue immediately after dropping the ground up shrooms in? It is not blue anymore now that it is reducing, I was just curious and to make sure I was not doing something wrong?

• Boorick76 likes this

#47 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:16 PM

Let us know how it goes.... thanks for the link Jinroh. Further reading has a dosage rate.
My dehydrator is going to have to be my friend for now.
I'm going out into nature this coming weekend and enjoy the fruits of my (not labor) new found love. Hopefully, timing is good and will get to have first time fresh.
  • Jinroh likes this

#48 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:09 PM

Let us know how it goes.... thanks for the link Jinroh. Further reading has a dosage rate.
My dehydrator is going to have to be my friend for now.
I'm going out into nature this coming weekend and enjoy the fruits of my (not labor) new found love. Hopefully, timing is good and will get to have first time fresh.

Well, as I said... I was going to try it and here it is! Wish me luck! I am trying it right now...

That is weird, the image was right side up when I posted it. Sheesh, I have not even had any yet!

Let me know how the fresh goes as well!

[attachment=1171023:Honey Time.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Honey Time.jpg

Edited by Jinroh, 16 September 2019 - 10:22 PM.

#49 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:42 PM

Very nice. Seems like a viable way to store incognito.

#50 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

Well, that was a disappointment. I got the feeling something was going to happen at one point but it didn't. I guess I messed up the recipe because I did not have all of the ingredients. I will try again when I am better prepared.

#51 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:18 PM

Sorry to hear about those results. I've had them many times as I experimented with various extracts and recipes.

But then I got it right. Give my honey recipe a try next time. I believe it has a much lower chance of not working out since it does not involve an extraction. Or I guess I could say that no batch has ever not worked as intended.

Good luck!

• Jinroh likes this

#52 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:02 AM

Sorry to hear about those results. I've had them many times as I experimented with various extracts and recipes.

But then I got it right. Give my honey recipe a try next time. I believe it has a much lower chance of not working out since it does not involve an extraction. Or I guess I could say that no batch has ever not worked as intended.

Good luck!

I plan to try yours. I am not discouraged in the least. After my experiment this evening using tea, I have determined that I have a very high threshold to get to positive results due to the medication I am currently taking and maybe my biology. I started with 2 dry grams in tea and slowly increased dosage over several hours. I ended up at 10 grams and finally started getting results albeit weak as it was. I learned that I do not have to worry about sensitivity. I can proceed with more potency during my next test.

#53 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:56 AM

A couple of days ago I forgot two shrooms in the fridge. I left them in there for about a day and a half wrapped in brown paper and they lost about 50% of their weight. And yesterday I dried some shrooms before work, one was not finished, still rubbery. I put it in the fridge and when I came back in the evening it was cracker dry.

#54 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:22 AM

I have decided to try the honey recipe with my very first flush. I do not have the required amount of shrooms so I cut the ingredient proportionally to what I did have. Is it normal for the water to turn blue immediately after dropping the ground up shrooms in? It is not blue anymore now that it is reducing, I was just curious and to make sure I was not doing something wrong?

The bluing is an oxidation reaction of the actives.

Boil the water to drive out the dissolved gasses and put in a bottle with air tight cap. Remember to fill completely so air(oxygen) doesn't get back in when sealed.

Then retry your recipe.
  • Jinroh likes this

#55 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,129 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:52 AM

is the oxygen atom of the water not oxidative?

Edited by pharmer, 18 September 2019 - 10:53 AM.

#56 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:06 PM

The bluing is an oxidation reaction of the actives.

Boil the water to drive out the dissolved gasses and put in a bottle with air tight cap. Remember to fill completely so air(oxygen) doesn't get back in when sealed.

Then retry your recipe.

Ah, that is what I did wrong! I suspected but was not sure. I had not boiled the water first, it was warm but had not been boiled. I wonder if distilled water would be better for this? I keep a large supply of it because I also make soap. Thanks for the feedback Gorf!

#57 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

It takes some seriously high energy levels to bust a water molecule. Think steam over red hot iron or electrolysis.

As for DI water, always assume it has dissolved oxygen and nitrogen and boil it.

FYI..... solids dissolve better in hot water, gases dissolve better in cold water.
  • Jinroh likes this

#58 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:51 PM

It takes some seriously high energy levels to bust a water molecule. Think steam over red hot iron or electrolysis.

As for DI water, always assume it has dissolved oxygen and nitrogen and boil it.

FYI..... solids dissolve better in hot water, gases dissolve better in cold water.

Is there any advantage to having pre-boiled water bottled and ready to go when starting this procedure? I mean if you have to get the water hot anyway, taking it to boiling point and letting it cool slightly would not be much more trouble? I am just trying to learn the basics here. Would there be a situation where I would want previous boiled water stored in a bottle?

Edited by Jinroh, 18 September 2019 - 12:51 PM.

#59 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:51 PM

Reading through the recent replies it occurred to me that I cannot recall ever making mushroom tea.

I think this is partly due to an old habit of not wanting to lose ANY of the initially-sparse harvests from my very small grows in the early years.

I would be curious to know what the measured loss of actives is in a tea. Or rather, the likely range it would fall within.

#60 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:20 PM

The tea I made yesterday was my first time having mushrooms besides my botched honey attempt. I was expecting to need more due to the med I take so other than that I have no reference yet. I am in the same position with small crops but I have been working hard at it and that should change soon.
  • TVCasualty likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!