• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#121 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:49 AM

Reading through the recent replies it occurred to me that I cannot recall ever making mushroom tea.

I think this is partly due to an old habit of not wanting to lose ANY of the initially-sparse harvests from my very small grows in the early years.

I would be curious to know what the measured loss of actives is in a tea. Or rather, the likely range it would fall within.

I never made tea either, but now that I'm lousy with fruits perhaps ill try it.  But generally whenever I hear of mushroom tea i just think of Zoolander.  not to mention the line from zoolander where Hansel says: "me and my crew have been chill'en on a beach in the Caribbean trippin acid with spider monkeys.  Changed our whole perspective on shit.  What have you been up to lately?"

So I got around to making tea.  I modified store bought tea packets by removing the staples and adding "fungi flour" (i.e. used coffee grinder to blend/chop dried fruits to a powder) to the packets and re-staple them for typical tea use.  From my experience, the loss is fairly great, i.e. If you want an "effective dose" (where you just feel like laying down and cruising/forget you have a body--which for me is around 3-4g), then you will need to use about 5-7g in tea packets.  So about a 25-35% increase to achieve the same result.  On the plus side, it seems like a smoother come-up with less stomach issues (not that I had/have much stomach issues with eating it, but I've read/heard that it can be an issue for many people).  

Hope this is informative.  That said, I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on water base extractions that can be condensed and dried for long term storage?  I know this is not a very effective or efficient method of extraction but it is much more simple than a bipolar (acid/base) method. 

Edited by ilikethings, 24 July 2020 - 02:11 AM.

#122 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 809 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 01:18 AM

Reading through the recent replies it occurred to me that I cannot recall ever making mushroom tea.

I think this is partly due to an old habit of not wanting to lose ANY of the initially-sparse harvests from my very small grows in the early years.

I would be curious to know what the measured loss of actives is in a tea. Or rather, the likely range it would fall within.

I never made tea either, but now that I'm lousy with fruits perhaps ill try it.  But generally whenever I hear of mushroom tea i just think of Zoolander.  not to mention the line from zoolander where Hansel says: "me and my crew have been chill'en on a beach in the Caribbean trippin acid with spider monkeys.  Changed our whole perspective on shit.  What have you been up to lately?"

So I got around to making tea.  I modified store bought tea packets by removing the staples and adding "fungi flour" (i.e. used coffee grinder to blend/chop dried fruits to a powder) to the packets and re-staple them for typical tea use.  From my experience, the loss is fairly great, i.e. If you want an "effective dose" (where you just feel like laying down and cruising/forget you have a body--which for me is around 3-4g), then you will need to use about 5-7g in tea packets.  So about a 25-35% increase to achieve the same result.  On the plus side, it seems like a smoother come-up with less stomach issues (not that I had/have much stomach issues with eating it, but I've read/heard that it can be an issue for many people).  

Hope this is informative.  That said, I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on water base extractions that can be condensed and dried for long term storage?  I know this is not a very effective or efficient method of extraction but it is much more simple than a bipolar (acid/base) method. 

A couple of us are doing alcohol extractions right now. Except I am evaporating off 75% of the alcohol and keeping the remaining liquid in the freezer. Or that is my plan anyway. I still have a few more weeks to go before I have enough to extract. Also I am using Semperviva mycelium and not fruits.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!