20 replies to this topic

#1 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 04:16 PM

I spent a couple hundred bucks at about 40 sales yesterday.  But among all the stuff I got was $12 worth of pressure cookers.  I got the as new 12 quart Duo at the second sale in the morning, and the 8 quart Presto at the second to last, very late in the day.  How it sat there all day with the manual and all the parts inside and didn't go for two bucks, is amazing!

post-131808-0-25933200-1561842968.jpg

IMG_2543.JPG

Edited by Alder Logs, 29 June 2019 - 05:09 PM.

• onediadem, roc, Juthro and 6 others like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,725 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 04:27 PM

Nice find Alder :)

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,698 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:02 PM

Yeah but what'd he get with the other $188?

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

Tons of stuff.  I keep the passenger seat out of my '98 Civic and can carry ten foot stuff with the back seats folded down.  The rear tires were sucked up into the wheel wells. I may itemize some of it later, but right now, we have a big disc golf tournament going on, and I'm going out into the sunny Saturday afternoon with a camera.

• onediadem likes this

#5 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,475 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:45 PM

Crazy nice find! 

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:00 PM

These pieces of steel, including the perforated ten foot angle, some ten foot 5/16" all thread, some 7/16" and half inch all thread, just good steel for making stuff.

IMG_2547.JPG

The day's haul included the two big road cones (which I need when I am dropping trees by the road, or have the tractor in the way while winching out some log), seven working hydraulic camper jacks for free, and the like new HiLift jack for $35.

IMG_2548.JPG

Three quarters of a case of roofing nails.  Almost full box of finish gun nails.  And a near full case of 2 3/8 ringshank framing nails.  I have the guns that each of these fits, all from Craigslist or sales.  The boat trailer winch was $5.

IMG_2549.JPG

For fifteen bucks, these torsion spring loaded hubs to build a small boat trailor, with bearing buddies.

IMG_2550.JPG

All those eye lags for $30 (there are 82 of them).  The box of hardware odds and end was $5.  The air hose was a buck.  I don't know what I paid for the louver vents, but I need them on my tiny house build.

IMG_2551.JPG

The ten inch hundred tooth blade is in great shape for $3.   Nice big breaker bar that I needed.  The little jack came from a teenager who is learning Capitalism 101.  He obviously overloaded it and it was bent, a bushing was missing from one of the wheels, but he was able to make it look like it was all there and got me for five bucks.    It took me an hour to straighten it out and make the missing bushing.  

IMG_2552.JPG

These 2X6 hangers will be handy.

IMG_2553.JPG

Most of a roll of 10 gauge romex and a little speaker wire. I think I paid $20 for that.

IMG_2554.JPG

Some aluminum stock for two bucks.

IMG_2555.JPG

Not from this weekend, but this is 145 feet of 1 1/4" line I got with four or five shorter two to three inch hawser lines with eyes spliced in the ends, all for $30 total at a garage sale in Hammond, OR a while back.  Going to be needing that long line to help a friend pull out some fallen trees that my winch line won't reach by itself. 

IMG_2546.JPG

So much of my stuff is from Craigslist that I should have included that in the thread title.  I even got my sawmill that way.

Well, with the PCs,  about a dozen used DVD movies, I got an 8 inch dado set for ten bucks and a 6 inch for five, five sets of new plastic safety glasses for a quarter each, a bunch of smaller hand tools, and the day before at a thrift store in Astoria, I got 16 glycerin filled pressure gauges, new, still in the packaging, for two bucks each (all different pressure ranges), that's about it.

Edited by Alder Logs, 01 July 2019 - 04:15 PM.

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#7 WanderingWildcrafter

WanderingWildcrafter

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 94 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

Nice finds! I've been keeping an eye out for a second-hand pressure cooker and a cast iron skillet. No luck so far, but I did score this beautiful cabinet for free on the roadside.

post-159846-0-55942800-1562883362.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0588-01.jpg

Edited by WanderingWildcrafter, 11 July 2019 - 05:16 PM.

• onediadem, roc, Alder Logs and 2 others like this

#8 brainnotworking

brainnotworking

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:09 PM

could i ask what the cast iron skillet is for ? cooking maybe ? i got a small one that is perfect for eggs :) really makes the weekend mornings that much better 

Nice finds! I've been keeping an eye out for a second-hand pressure cooker and a cast iron skillet. No luck so far, but I did score this beautiful cabinet for free on the roadside.

<script data-pagespeed-no-defer type="text/javascript">//b||1342177279>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split("."),d=t;a[0]in d||!d.execScript||d.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===c?d[e]?d=d[e]:d=d[e]={}:d[e]=c};function v(b){var c=b.length;if(0=c.offsetWidth&&0>=c.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{d=c.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=d.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);d=d.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+d;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.g.height&&d<=b.g.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.c[e]=!0)}y.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&z(this,b)};u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){x.checkImageForCriticality(b)});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){A(x)});function A(b){b.b={};for(var c=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],d=0;d=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if©{d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch®{try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}}function B(){var b={},c;c=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(!c.length)return{};var a=c[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var d=0;a=c[d];++d){var e=a.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].o&&a.height>=b[e].m)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b}var C="";u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return C});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,c,a,d,e,f){var r=new y(b,c,a,e,f);x=r;d&&w(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){A®},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://mycotopia.ne...ums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=106413&p=1412521&md5check=bbe3aa04ddd6333e75e3f74a9e3f3fd7&isRte=1,lMGhzzyjA5,true,false,uQgfIok5F3g'); //]]></script> post-159846-0-55942800-1562883362.jpg&&0){for(var>)throw>

#9 WanderingWildcrafter

WanderingWildcrafter

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 94 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:42 PM

Yes, that is what I had in mind. I want to be able to use it in the oven for frittatas and such. I did end up getting lucky and scoring a nice Lagostina one for $22 (marked down from $90) at the local Canadian Tire store so I'm pretty pumped to start cooking with it!

• brainnotworking likes this

#10 Severian

Severian

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:23 PM

Well, I don't have a photo of it yet,

But today I scored a Mini fridge that had been turned into a dehydrator- solid fan with stainless steel ball bearings on the bottom, and two lightbulbs on the inside and a gfci switch. 2 feet by 2 feet by 3 feet. With 4 shelves.  All I have to do is rig up a thermostat and I've got myself a sweet incubator for 35 bucks.

Might potentially decide to turn it into a temporary fruiting chamber instead- but leaning in the first direction.

Also found an intermatic timer for 3 dollars at the restore-

But what I'm most excited about is the new baby grand piano gracing my living room that I scored for a whopping 0$

Though moving it cost me 500, plus 100 to tune it. Still needs a bit of work, but Damn does it sound and play beautiful.

edit: that cabinet is beautiful

Edited by Severian, 12 September 2019 - 07:24 PM.

• Alder Logs, Advocate4TheMT, WanderingWildcrafter and 1 other like this

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,549 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:52 AM

How much for the antique pencil sharpener you have mounted on the wall behind the stove?

Jesus... I feel really old right now considering those pencil sharpeners used to be mounted on the wall in all of my classrooms and I just referred to it as an antique.... What does that make me then???!!!??!

The car I drove in high school is now considered a classic... so it goes....

• brainnotworking likes this

#12 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 740 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

I LOVE A  Bargain FREE IS  my favorite food ! 

Both of my  All American Pressure canners came from thrift stores !  not free but  super good deals !

My 15 qrt AA  was $11 plus tax  and my 18 qrt  AA was $20 plus tax .

SCORE !

Bez !

#13 brainnotworking

brainnotworking

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:45 PM

can say lagostina are lovely cookware, i don't really use it myself, but i am more of a le creuset person anyway. (gotta give it to the french for their love of cooking)  in the oven or on an open fire those things will make anything taste more gourmet.

• WanderingWildcrafter likes this

#14 brainnotworking

brainnotworking

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:49 PM

Well, I don't have a photo of it yet,

But today I scored a Mini fridge that had been turned into a dehydrator- solid fan with stainless steel ball bearings on the bottom, and two lightbulbs on the inside and a gfci switch. 2 feet by 2 feet by 3 feet. With 4 shelves.  All I have to do is rig up a thermostat and I've got myself a sweet incubator for 35 bucks.

Might potentially decide to turn it into a temporary fruiting chamber instead- but leaning in the first direction.

Also found an intermatic timer for 3 dollars at the restore-

But what I'm most excited about is the new baby grand piano gracing my living room that I scored for a whopping 0$

Though moving it cost me 500, plus 100 to tune it. Still needs a bit of work, but Damn does it sound and play beautiful.

edit: that cabinet is beautiful

that sounds like one hell of an operation you can start right there!!! Hope it works as it is intended ;) im super jealous, all i have is like a 1x1 little box in my closet that i placed a pre made grow kit in. (still new to the wonderful world of fungi). Piano sounds lovely too! hope you are able to play it too.

#15 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:00 PM

I'm an old pawn shop/thrift store rat from waaaay back. This may just become my favorite forum on mycotopia.
  • Juthro and WanderingWildcrafter like this

#16 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:52 PM

The rains have come to the upper left edge.   That means garage and yard sales will be a rarity for many months to come around here.  I guess I'll just have to wander around and look for mushrooms now.

#17 dschill2

dschill2

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:25 PM

Thrift shopping is also one of my favorite past time activities! Craigslist is always nice but not near as fun as a thrift store where you never know what your gonna find.

#18 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:27 AM

Garage sales are great. I used to enjoy flea markets, but haven't found the right one in my area, that doesn't have the same old things every week(more like a store). Very enjoyable to see such great treasures and all the repurposing going on. Nice!

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,725 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:21 AM

I found the deal too good to pass up at a local estate sale.  I'm now the newest, proud owner of a Honda Foreman 450  4x4.  

In typical Honda fashion it starts easy, and runs strong.  

Attached Thumbnails

• .1.jpg

• coorsmikey likes this

#20 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,613 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:38 AM

Get a plow for that bad boy and you can minimize your shoveling in your birthday suit! Nice score Juthro!

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!