• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:57 PM

This will chronicle the beginning of my mushroom hobby, and I hope to get good comments as I move along.  I'm not very far along, and I've been getting a lot of ideas from this board.

I live in the deep woods; before moving here I was a part-time-gardner at different times, but that hobby stopped as there is no light here for the tree cannopy.  We cannot grow grass for the shade from the trees.  But, we have an unfinished basement, and having gotten interested in Mushrooms I decided that was the way to 'garden'.  Goal:  Grow Lions Main and other mushrooms in my basement 'garden'.  Now, I've never known hobby gardening to be an economical endeavor, but eating your own produce is fun....

So, I started by purchasing an 'ecosystem' from Mid West Grow Kits and three Syringes from mushrooms.com -
- King Oyster Mushroom Culture Syringe

- Lion's Mane Mushroom Culture Syringe

- Pioppino Mushroom Culture Syringe

And a big callout to 'catsandbats' who sent me a syringe of an oyster culture he made from the woods - catsandbats has given support and offered advice selflessly.

So, here is a pic of the Inoculated grain bags from my kit - I used each syringe to inoculate two grain bags ( about 5 cc per bag )

- You will see the remains of a previous attempt to grow oysters and lions main that completely failed below the bags - my very first try.

Innoculated Grain Bags sized.jpg

Edited by LukeB, 29 June 2019 - 11:53 PM.

• onediadem likes this

#2 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:10 PM

The fate of the grain Bags:

The catsandbats inoculated bags immediatly showed a nice mycelium start - but eventually turned green on the top

The Piopino bags turned green on the top and never showed any mycelium growth.

One Lions main Bag shows mycelium growth, and the other shows no growth.

The Oyster bags now look fully colonized to me, so hopefully I can start the fruiting cycle in the next day or so.  I'm a little worried about the yellow liquid spots appearing in them.  The 'green bags' got their contents buried in holes by a tree - I'll walk by now and then and see if anything comes of them out there.
Here's a pic of the remaining bags, the two oyster bags on the right, lion's main on the left.Colonization 29Jun2019 sized.jpg :

#3 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:29 PM

I think I got clean inoculations, but that when I followed the instructions to pull open the bags to get an air channel on top from the grain to the filter port, the inrush of air pulled unwanted spores into the bags (the top of the grain developed a green sheen fairly quickly).  Living in the woods means living with spores all around, and having an unfinished basement means its just not a clean environment, so-
I used a still air box to do the inoculations - with a twist.  I have a UVC light for furnace ducts, so I put that in the box, after spraying everything with alcohol and wiping it down,  and made sure all sides of the bags were exposed before the innoculation, and trusted the light to kill anything in the SAB.

I read that UVC light is stopped by 5mm of clear plastic, so didn't worry much about it and just brought the syinges into the SAB thru the hand holes, opened and attached the needles, flamed the needles and inoculated one-by-one.

Warning:  I no longer believe the light is fully blocked by 5mm of clear plastic and I'm a little surprised my syringes didn't get killed.  I got a very mild suntan, and I'm grateful that is all I got for being so carelessly trusting.  It may be that the light is more of a broad spectrum emitter than just UVC...
Learning: Pull open the bags in an environment with 'clean' air.  Or better yet, use jars, so you never do a big draw of air into the container.  Another learning - be very careful with the UVC light - cover up with more than sunglasses. 
Here is a pic of the SAB with the light on in it, and if you look close you can see two grain bags just before inoculation.SAB with UVC sized.jpg

Edited by LukeB, 29 June 2019 - 11:55 PM.

#4 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:42 PM

And, this brings me up-to-date for now:
I'm preparing jars for my next run.
Breathing ports are two layers of Micro-pore tape with a felt pad under them, covering the hole in the lids.  I put the felt on as some folk seem to just be using felt, but I doubt that by itself its a very good filter, but I thought it good to not expose a sticky surface from the tape to the medium in the jars.  I've read some that Micro-pore tape works pretty good, especially with multiple layers.
So, for each syringe purchase, I plan to make:
3 agar jars (4 oz jars)
1 BRF tek Jar (with self sealing syringe port and micropore tape covering the breathing holes - seems like even thought the verm layer is protection, making another barrier should be a good thing) - Pint Jars.

1 Grain Tek jar - 24 oz wide mouth jar, and

1 Liquid Culture jar - 24 oz wide mouth jar (the jar with the syringe filter port for the breathing port).  My syringe ports say 0.45 um, - I'm feeling a little insecure about that.  I'd like a short, fat, jar to make extracting the LC easier, but these tall 24 oz'ers are what I have.

so, here's a picture of these 'under construction'.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jar Preparation sized.jpg

Edited by LukeB, 30 June 2019 - 12:00 AM.

• onediadem likes this

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,851 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 12:04 AM

That catsandbats character is bad news! :tongue: I'm super happy that you started this thread, I'll comb over it when I'm not tipsy (so in 2050?)

• onediadem, MsBehavin420 and Boebs like this

#6 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 12:15 AM

Good start! Keep us updated.

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 809 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:02 AM

WELCOME ! LOOKS LIKE GOOD  GO !

here are a cpl old threads  not super useful but some interesting info

https://mycotopia.ne...gain-he-did-it/

https://mycotopia.ne...e-semilanceata/

here is some geeky stuff about  symiotic relationships with grasses

https://www.scienced...95375620981263X

Edited by bezevo, 30 June 2019 - 03:12 AM.

• DIETMARKS likes this

#8 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,560 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:58 PM

I used to turn my UV on, walk the dog, then come home and turn it off. It would def. be off while I was working in the SAB. 

• onediadem and CatsAndBats like this

#9 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

I put one of my oyster bags in a bulk substrate container, and this is what happened - its a carpet on top, pretty sure its mold.  I think I'll accept a small yeild and fruit the other two grain bags directly from the grain bags.  Here's a picture:Moldy Grow.jpg

Edited by LukeB, 06 July 2019 - 11:42 AM.

#10 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 644 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

I put one of my oyster bags in a bulk substrate container, and this is what happened - its a carpet on top, pretty sure its mold.  I think I'll accept a small yeild and fruit the other two grain bags directly from the grain bags.  Here's a picture:<script data-pagespeed-no-defer type="text/javascript">//b||1342177279>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split("."),d=t;a[0]in d||!d.execScript||d.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===c?d[e]?d=d[e]:d=d[e]={}:d[e]=c};function v(b){var c=b.length;if(0=c.offsetWidth&&0>=c.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{d=c.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=d.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);d=d.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+d;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.g.height&&d<=b.g.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.c[e]=!0)}y.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&z(this,b)};u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){x.checkImageForCriticality(b)});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){A(x)});function A(b){b.b={};for(var c=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],d=0;d=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if©{d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch®{try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}}function B(){var b={},c;c=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(!c.length)return{};var a=c[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var d=0;a=c[d];++d){var e=a.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].o&&a.height>=b[e].m)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b}var C="";u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return C});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,c,a,d,e,f){var r=new y(b,c,a,e,f);x=r;d&&w(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){A®},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://mycotopia.ne...ums&module=ajax┬žion=topics&do=quote&t=106421&p=1411857&md5check=cfa4697270256782cb3bd8379f6d169e&isRte=1,lMGhzzyjA5,true,false,NQ0hC3sjQuQ'); //]]></script> attachicon.gifMoldy Grow.jpg&&0){for(var>)throw>

How long did it take to get to that fluffy stage after spawning? If only a day or 2 then yeah, maybe cob web mold. If significantly longer then it's likely just your Oyster myc.

#11 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:53 AM

Out for a walk this morning, no idea what these are.  A couple weeks ago I saw a lonely morel.  Should have taken a picture of that.  Is there a thread anywhere "Identify that Fungi"?Trail Mushrooms.jpg Trail Mushrooms Underside.jpg

• onediadem likes this

#12 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

How long did it take to get to that fluffy stage after spawning? If only a day or 2 then yeah, maybe cob web mold. If significantly longer then it's likely just your Oyster myc.

3 days.

#13 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 644 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 12:01 PM

Better isolate it and see what happens over the next few days.

• LukeB likes this

#14 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 12:34 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to humidify my grow chamber - What do you think of this?
https://www.youtube....h?v=PqAyAUTiOB4

Parts List
-- Greenhouse: https://www.amazon.c.../product/B01... (I have this)
-- Drip Tray: https://www.amazon.c.../product/B00... (I have this from a pet cage)
-- Willhi humidity controller: https://www.amazon.c.../product/B07... (don't have)
-- One-disc pond fogger (get the 3-disk instead if you can): https://www.thehouse...ro.com/store... (I've got something, I'm sure it's a one-disk something)
-- 80 mm waterproof fan: https://www.thehouse...ro.com/store... (don't have)
-- Dryer vent hose: https://www.amazon.c.../product/B00...  (don't have)
-- Water line hookup kit: https://www.acehardw...om/departmen... (don't have)
-- Water line float valve: https://www.acehardw...om/departmen... (don't have)

I'm wondering why he doesn't run a little hydrogen peroxide in the water, seems like it would de-compose before misting into the "greenhouse" and prevent any mold or mildew from growing inside the tote box.

Edited by LukeB, 06 July 2019 - 12:41 PM.

#15 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

Been a long time since last post - still working on mushrooms.  Here's the 'crop' from my first gow.  Small, tasted good.

Lions Main and Oyster.jpg

The Lions main got some green on it, so I took it out without getting anything more.  The Oyster hasn't pinned.  I'm thinking of trying a Dunk on it, set it in the dark for a couple weeks, the expose to the light again.

The bag that never got any growth - it is about half populated now.  It's growing so slow, I don't know if anything will come of it.

Half Innoculated Lions Main Bag.jpg

Got the supplies for an improved humidifier for the fruiting tent.
I think I'll be starting another grow attempt in two weeks.

#16 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:48 PM

Mushrooms growing on a log, took this picture walking in the preserve yesterday - I need an identification guide, no idea what they are.

Woods Mushrooms on Log.jpg

#17 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

I need an identification guide, no idea what they are.

I don't know where you're located but I purchased two different field guides for the rocky mountain region for about 20 bucks each and have been very satisfied with them! Lots of fantastic information. If you're near the rockys I'll get the titles and send em to you.

#18 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:19 AM

"If you're near the rockys"  Nope, East Coast.
I downloaded PictureThis and the Mushrooms apps.  Made a small donation, they are both interesting, but need a lot of work.  I suppose they lack funding to really make'm nice.

Edited by LukeB, 24 November 2019 - 09:19 AM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#19 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:28 PM

Three jars prepared with this tek (Thanks, Warfrat):

https://mycotopia.ne...-berry/?hl=beet

Lions main ready to go to HWFP+Bran.  Scared to death to do it, I lost all but one from my last batch at this step.  It grew really fast in the wheat berries.
Fully colonized 12_3_19.jpg

The above was done with Hard Red Winter Wheat - worked so nicely, I tried the same tek with three other grains this morning, but without the verm on the bottom (might want to eat the berries+mycelium, don't want a bunch of grit in it if I do, I'm thinking Lions Main Wheat Berries for breakfast - haven't tried it yet, but have heard its not too good tasting):

Three Different Grains PCd 12_3_19.jpg
The wheat is nice and loose, just like the colonized ones.  The Hard Red Winter Wheat expands dramatically with hydration, and is very heavy. 
The Oats are also nice and loose.  They expand, but not like the wheat.  Oats are light.

The Rice looks pretty loose until you shake it, then it just sticks together tighter-you can tell the one I shook.  Rice also expands a lot, but not as much as the wheat, and is not as heavy as the wheat, but heavier than than the oats.  Anyway, I'll noc the rice and avoid shaking until it's pretty well colonized, I guess.

Edited by LukeB, 03 December 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#20 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:33 PM

Well, I got two dups and no pictures... Although in the editor I can see the attachments.  If there's a way to delete the dups and have the pics....
update, got the pictures back, but still cannot see a way to remove this and the previous post.

update, no I didn't - the pictures left the original post and moved to this one. Seems to be a bug here.

Edited by LukeB, 03 December 2019 - 01:42 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!