• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:48 PM

I followed 'growing mushrooms (oysters) in 5 gallon buckets' using hardwood fuel pellets - but I used 2 gallon buckets.  Here's the first harvest - I got two strains of Oyster, one is growing very aggressively and made wonderful oysters.  We sauteed them with butter and onions, they were delicious.  The Other two buckets are just growing plugs here.

First Oyster Flush.jpg

Edited by LukeB, 13 January 2020 - 09:10 PM.

• onediadem and wharfrat like this

#22 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:51 PM

And here they are after the first bucket's harvest, a week later, one of the two other buckets is producing.  These two buckets are identical - from the same agar jar, same substrate mix, same preparation, same grow space.  One is doing nothing.  The first strain's Oysters were much firmer and looked nicer than these.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2nd Oyster Flush.jpg

Edited by LukeB, 13 January 2020 - 09:11 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#23 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:53 PM

here's the three buckets - 1:  Notice that the 'plugs' on the not-growing bucket are getting brown on them, and two, the bucket growing the plugs looks really nice from the top (I think).
The two buckets are from the same agar, same grain, and bulk grow medium mixed in the same container, same pasteurization, growing in the same grow space.  I don't know what's different.

Attached Thumbnails

• Open Buckets.jpg

Edited by LukeB, 13 January 2020 - 09:13 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#24 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:06 PM

I've tried using wheat berries (hard winter wheat), oats, and brown rice in grain jars.  Wheat berries are the nicest - they grow fast and granulate easily to mix with substrate.  Oats are a little stickier, much lighter by volume (less weight per jar), but work really nice as well.  Brown rice grows really fast, but its just a mess for shaking (just sticks together).  It seems grow so fast, the jars don't really need to be shook though, but the mass doesn't granulate well into the bulk grow medium.
Still not growing Liions Main - and that's what I started to do.   Soon.
Here's my first contaminated grain jar - from agar.  I've got 20 or so jars going from LC, no contams in any.  I expect LC contam would be an all-or-none deal as the jars never need to be opened.  I've done about 8 jars from agar - I think agar grows into the grain more aggressively than LC.  LC inoculation is just plain easy, but needles are a pain.  I think I like agar more.   I expected the opposite.

Attached Thumbnails

• Contaminated Grain from Agar.jpg

Edited by LukeB, 13 January 2020 - 09:10 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#25 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:19 PM

I took three overdue oyster grain jars and put them on top of verm and put them in fruiting tonight,   I was just too tired to make more buckets. Think they'll fruit this way?

Oysters in Tin.jpg

#26 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,491 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:23 PM

I've tried using wheat berries (hard winter wheat), oats, and brown rice in grain jars.  Wheat berries are the nicest - they grow fast and granulate easily to mix with substrate.  Oats are a little stickier, much lighter by volume (less weight per jar), but work really nice as well.  Brown rice grows really fast, but its just a mess for shaking (just sticks together).  It seems grow so fast, the jars don't really need to be shook though, but the mass doesn't granulate well into the bulk grow medium.
Still not growing Liions Main - and that's what I started to do.   Soon.
Here's my first contaminated grain jar - from agar.  I've got 20 or so jars going from LC, no contams in any.  I expect LC contam would be an all-or-none deal as the jars never need to be opened.  I've done about 8 jars from agar - I think agar grows into the grain more aggressively than LC.  LC inoculation is just plain easy, but needles are a pain.  I think I like agar more.   I expected the opposite.

wheat berries are my fav! 

oysters will fruit on in anything damn near. just keep high humidity and lots of fresh air exchange (hard to do both in a tub) they should fruit just fine

#27 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,694 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:43 PM

That is a random looking oyster bucket for sure! Is it from the same syringe as the others? Those buckets will have some great flushes.. Next time, fill the bucket packed to the brim.  All in all you are doing wonderful! Gotta love the site Kitty cat too. Good peeps.

4546047.jpg

• wharfrat likes this

#28 LukeB

LukeB

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for feedback - anyone have a clue what is going on with these? I'm thinking of cutting them off.  Could they be rotting?

Attached Thumbnails

• Brown Plug.jpg

Edited by LukeB, 14 January 2020 - 04:37 PM.

#29 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,491 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for feedback - anyone have a clue what is going on with these? I'm thinking of cutting them off.  Could they be rotting?

hard to say with a blurry pic. could just be mycelium growing on the mush, not enough FAE would be my guess

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!