• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:51 AM

It was highly suggested by a member to start a landing pad for my process while embarking on this common journey. It made sense for me to be able to see my progress, and to allow experienced members to chime in where they feel inclined to.
It’s been about 10 years since being part of any of this, and even then I was merely a helper. So far this time has been much different. I am reading as much as I can and starting to learn the why’s, rather than “spray, fan, etc...”
I quick look at who I am: I am a veteran with several trips to Iraq, and Afghanistan. Undiagnosed PTSD, and alcohol were ultimately the end of my military career. I went off the deep end with opiates and lived an absolute hell for close to two years. I was able to get the help I needed and have been clean for just short of 7 years. I was a member of a 12 step fellowship until about a year ago when I left the Boston area and returned to the desert in the southwest.
Why return to the hobby? I have been on a spiritual journey (to the best of my ability) since getting clean, and of course the research being done on micro-dosing.

You guys that have been around for around 10 years or so helped my friend immensely with his grow adventures, and he spoke so highly of this site. So I got on and started reading.

I started with 24 1/2 pint PF cakes with a target of 12 jars inoculated with Cambodian and Golden Teacher. Not sure why I decided on Cambodian, but Golden Teacher sounded like the perfect family to start with. I got some spore syringes online and started the process.
  • coorsmikey, bezevo and JanetPlanet like this

#2 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:18 AM

Incubation - I worked in engineering after getting out of the military, mainly as a tech in robotics, and automation. I like making things so I figured I’d build an incubator. I have since came to terms with the fact that it’s not needed and taken it apart. Most of the year the house stays 76-80 degrees. I may put it back up in the cooler months. Who knows. Did a simple water bomb set up on a temperature control switch. The switch also turned on two mini pc fans running at 6v which were positioned up high angled down into incubator to circulate the warm air. All of this was put into a large food delivery bag used for catering or UberEats/GrubHub. It worked well. And I kept ~82 degrees.
Glad I took the time to mess with the idea, but it will probably stay disassembled.

#3 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:47 AM

Birthing - I waited a few extra days after full colonization and birthed the cakes. The cakes weren’t exposed to any light. I’ve read that this isn’t the ideal situation and probably won’t continue to do it this way in future cake runs. Pretty sure I won’t have to worry about this once I move to grain. I also probably won’t birth before heavy knotting/pins is visible on the cakes.
These are just a few more lessons learned. One small problem I seem to have is that everyone has a way that things work for them. So right when I feel like I know what I should be doing, I read another post that throws that all out the window.
The cakes seemed to have quite a bit of moisture when birthing them, so I decided not to dunk. Also another thing that I won’t bypass again.
841e4e176103ed096f883450a1319c7a.jpg
407d7fb759c4094cee39357bad5e16e1.jpg

I decided to break up the cakes and tray them up with vermiculite DEC. Hongus TEK outlines by Hippie in the pinned post. Trays were the only way I had ever seen them done and it made sense to have a more flat surface area.
1c7e12b6edea394bac2c2e2f13dcf3d8.jpg

6 trays of each family were done with 2 1/2 pints per tray. They were lidded up and put back away to recover. Over two weeks passed with almost no movement. The moisture levels were all messed up and maybe that was why they seemed to stall. I dunked and recased 3 trays as an experiment. Those had movement in 3-4 days, so I did the rest of them.

#4 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:59 AM

I have 24 empty jars, have upgraded from a steam canner to pressure cooker, and have been reading about super cake recipes. I also had a free syringe coupon from my last order. Acadian coast seemed interesting. Not sure why. Maybe cause I hadn’t really seen them mentioned. Hawaiian was a given. Kind of an homage to the buddy that showed me this was possible 10 years ago(and fed me and fed me)
Experimented with super cakes and learned how to use a pressure cooker.
Missed my mark of 12/12 due to a spore clog. Realize I’ll never use a spore syringe again without doing LC or diluting the spore solution. Ended with 10 Hawaiian/14 AC. Not so bad cause they colonized slower but had much more rhizomorphic growth. Into the incubator. 6a6f5bc26d05b346c2f46333ea24c230.jpg
Hawaiian colonized much faster overall. Acadian coast was much more aggressive though. When I birthed these guys the mycelium had been colonizing the top layer of vermiculite in the jars. Almost to the lids in most places.
Started seeing some pins on Cambodians so moved them in FC. Choke style chamber(no holes) with ~3 inches or rinsed and drained perlite.

Here things get really confusing and I’m still not even sure what I should be doing. I read you don’t spray if there are pins/ knotting. Then I hear you shouldn’t spray if there is any mycelium colonizing the top layer. So I spray the sides of the bin. I drop a cheap electronic thermometer with humidity gauge into the bin. The thing stays pegged at 99% and there is condensation on the walls but not the lid. So I lay of misting. I up the FAE. I then find out that misting isn’t the same as spraying so I’m under the impression I should be misting into the bin and not just at the sides.
The pinset on these cakes is total BS but there are probably more coming any day now right?
I get worried cause the fuzzy feet is now turning into fuzzy stems and am told not to trust that gauge at all.
74050cdb3a09baa9587fbd67017cf387.jpg
I have a few fruits at this point though so I’m much less worried. I promise you I would have had all the patience in the world if this wasn’t my first run. Trust me I have learned to be much more patient in the last month though.

I had done 24 agar jars and was really excited to get some of this tissue in ASAP. I had been reading about sectoring, and isolation and was very eager to start agar work. That along with the abysmal pin set. I pulled the cluster when the two larger ones veils broke and got a tissue sample from inside the stem.
These caps had split in the middle and the stems were super hollow. I think this was cause I had closed the ac vent off a little and the room was averaging 77-80. Not sure if the temp inside the bin.
12864381aa083b82ddcb35bc47770371.jpg
This morning I harvested another cluster. These were in the next tray over in the same bin but were much better. Not really sure what had happened to the other cluster. Got some more reading to do. b7689ca7b0a6123c0f36a3e4a19afbdc.jpg
  • Tenderfoot and deemesis like this

#5 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:12 AM

This was not originally intended to be so thorough. I want to get my thought process out there to hopefully get feedback from experienced members, and potentially save other newbies from what I considered mistakes/hiccups.
I respect the experience of the members here and am very open to feedback/criticism.
Hopefully I can look back on this one day and say “damn I had no fucking clue what I was doing back then, how did it even work at all”
  • bezevo likes this

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:47 PM

This was not originally intended to be so thorough. I want to get my thought process out there to hopefully get feedback from experienced members, and potentially save other newbies from what I considered mistakes/hiccups.
I respect the experience of the members here and am very open to feedback/criticism.
Hopefully I can look back on this one day and say “damn I had no fucking clue what I was doing back then, how did it even work at all”

gallery_147940_1513_126015.jpg

I've been doing this for 5yrs and I still have no idea what I'm doing! :tongue:

Seriously man, great introduction and write up. I'm looking forward to checking this thread often. Welcome to the team!

• crazy1 likes this

#7 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

gallery_147940_1513_126015.jpg

I've been doing this for 5yrs and I still have no idea what I'm doing! :tongue:

Seriously man, great introduction and write up. I'm looking forward to checking this thread often. Welcome to the team!
Looking forward to soaking up the knowledge brother.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#8 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:33 PM

I've learned to fake it pretty good. Thank God the mushrooms produce once in a while.
  • roc, crazy1, Tenderfoot and 1 other like this

#9 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:22 PM

Made some modifications to fruiting chambers. Got a bit of movement on agar cultures. Too hard to get a decent pic considering they are in half pint jars. Will get some pics up when I can get a decent picture.
For as disheartening as the first fruiting was I was able to get 10g dried. My fiancé and I will be seeing if the ancient ones feel like imparting some wisdom tonight.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#10 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:40 AM

Great first run my friend. Things look to be going great for you.

Glad to hear you are/have been dealing with the PTSD and addiction. I've been your route, and if you ever need an ear or a shoulder I'm here.

Thank you for your service Brother

Peace

• Oneyedraven likes this

#11 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:27 AM

Great first run my friend. Things look to be going great for you.

Glad to hear you are/have been dealing with the PTSD and addiction. I've been your route, and if you ever need an ear or a shoulder I'm here.
Thank you for your service Brother

Peace

Truly appreciate it. Been in a good place lately. Took some work to get here though.
  • crazy1 likes this

#12 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:25 PM

Hey how has the fuzzy mycelium been for you I have some that has been doing that and the fruits sometimes are aborts. Any ideas on whats causing it?

DSC_0482.JPG

Peace n LoveDSC_0482.JPG

#13 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:31 PM

Hey how has the fuzzy mycelium been for you I have some that has been doing that and the fruits sometimes are aborts. Any ideas on whats causing it?
attachicon.gifDSC_0482.JPG
Peace n Loveattachicon.gifDSC_0482.JPG

I am still pretty new to all this and was told not to really worry about it. I did however read that it was because of humidity not being ideal. I didn’t have any issues with aborts, at least not yet

Edited by Misfit, 02 July 2019 - 09:38 PM.

#14 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:37 PM

<script data-pagespeed-no-defer type="text/javascript">//b||1342177279>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split("."),d=t;a[0]in d||!d.execScript||d.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===c?d[e]?d=d[e]:d=d[e]={}:d[e]=c};function v(b){var c=b.length;if(0=c.offsetWidth&&0>=c.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{d=c.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=d.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);d=d.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+d;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.g.height&&d<=b.g.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.c[e]=!0)}y.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&z(this,b)};u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){x.checkImageForCriticality(b)});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){A(x)});function A(b){b.b={};for(var c=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],d=0;d=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if©{d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch®{try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}}function B(){var b={},c;c=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(!c.length)return{};var a=c[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var d=0;a=c[d];++d){var e=a.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].o&&a.height>=b[e].m)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b}var C="";u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return C});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,c,a,d,e,f){var r=new y(b,c,a,e,f);x=r;d&&w(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){A®},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://mycotopia.ne...ums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=106424&p=1411327&md5check=7e877f98421ad035f3338036c746c676&isRte=1,lMGhzzyjA5,true,false,UVyE6T6HRPo'); //]]></script> attachicon.gifDSC_0482.JPG
Peace n Loveattachicon.gifDSC_0482.JPG&&0){for(var>
)throw>

I am still pretty new to all this and was told not to really worry about it. I did however read that it was because of humidity not borne ideal. I didn’t have any issues with aborts, at least not yet

I think that I can learn for this. Were you told that it is because of too hight humidity or too low?

#15 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:39 PM

I sent a PM
  • Moonless likes this

#16 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:17 PM

So as I said, I made some changes to my bins. 3 holes one one side up top and 3 on the other down around my substrate level. So far I am happy with the changes. A few of my fruits don’t look super attractive though.
The picture lighting might not be the best, but I’m pretty sure one tray has “The Vert” from what I’ve read it’s not that big of a deal. It’s more cosmetic than anything. Not saying I’m pleased with it thoughc707804b5b31defea4ebd0f4e92d3856.jpg
Also those caps seem to have just stopped growing and are extremely odd shaped.
In another bin I am still having problems with a super fuzzy stem. And it seems like the stem blew up like a balloon. Yet another cap that has cracked in the middle. It’s also got some weird spot on the side. 59c41bbc7c97c94983da275f78549352.jpgcffdd106e2ae4b16e25c4cf49059af50.jpg
The lighting could be better. So I apologize in advance.
I have been trying to read up on some of these issues. But any advice or even just links to read is appreciated.
  • crazy1 likes this

#17 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:40 AM

Had some 4th of July fireworks while I was out. Came home to the first pins on the first tray of Acadian Coast. Killer pinset in comparison to what I have seen with the Cambodian genetics. Luckily I got some Cambodian tissue to agar though.
a548511476ed14060c3db436140f5e57.jpg
Have a pretty questionable growth on one of my Hawaiian trays. Gonna have to monitor it closely tomorrow, but something doesn’t seem right with it. Probably gonna isolate this one first thing in the morning. Any feedback would be appreciated.
bb46e902a1662858c65054c5199e3d6f.jpg

Still absolutely no movement on the GT trays. Which were cased the same time as the Cambodian(finishing first flush)
  • crazy1 likes this

#18 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:13 AM

Nice pinset on the acadian coast! Super stoked to see how it matures.

#19 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:16 AM

Same.. I am worried/confused on whats going on in the Hawaiian tray. I did a separate post showing the changes over night. Figured more people may actually look at it. 

#20 Misfit

Misfit

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:37 PM

Today I did my first agar transfers. Kind of hard to get pictures in the jars I am using. They looked like chaos from the multispore swab anyway.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!