Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Would/Will you turn your kids on to this trip?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyMushroom

JohnnyMushroom

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:15 PM

Couple of points to get out of the way first:

1. When I say kids, i'm talking adult. They will always be my kids no matter what age

2. Kids=family tree. Long after you and me are gone

Anyway, if you say no, then you have to understand why its ok for you and not for them. Otherwise, the only plausible answer has to be you possess an acute form of self loathing

If you answer yes, then you must define the narrow circumstances under which you would be willing to introduce your kids to this alternative reality. 

My thoughts after a week:

1. My kids are 10 and 12 so i have a good 10 years or so to make a decision. This is one of those decisions (questions) that cannot be answered off the top of my head. This is gonna take years of observation. 

2. I'm starting to see that the answer to this extremely difficult question is intricately tied to the purpose of making these mushrooms a part of my life. If i want a cheap thrill or escape reality, then NO i dont want to introduce my kids to it. If it is to pursue a deepening of my spiritual life and actually does advance a spiritual progress, makes me a better person, then it is likely to help them as well

3. Therefore, the mushrooms must be utilized in a medicinal/therapeutic before any consideration can be given to pass it on, Otherwise it's best if i just keep it to myself which is totally a selfish way to go. 

• ElPirana likes this

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,279 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:31 PM

I have, yes, with everything in my collection. They were both adults. My youngest daughter was with her father, her and myself on her grad nite. She is now very active in NA. I do not have a relationship with her other than to see her on xmas. There is a long background story there that has nothing to do with me for the distance. Would I do it again? Yes.

#3 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:19 AM

My kids figured this stuff out all by themselves.

So they ask me things, and I tell them what I know and direct them to places of knowledge... such as this forum!

My perspective is, there is no such thing as "Forbidden knowledge" and if anyone says there is, it is my duty to make sure it does not stay that way!

:cool:

• onediadem, roc, DonShadow and 3 others like this

#4 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,955 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:57 PM

My kids discovered the flesh of the Gods on their own in their late teens.

After they became young (30+) adults the family gatherings always had stories to share of their teen days and who did what,

I think this is common and one would spit out a story and another would try to one up the other.

Even though they grew up in different times their exploration in altered states paralleled my own in a different time. 

One other thing is their admission to what they knew of what I did and tried to hide from them at times.

Recently my intellectual youngest, dual degrees and heading for a third confronted me about micro dosing to dump the anxiety / depression medications and point blank asked me to do a grow for him thus my recent activities in my 60's. I have no problem with not only helping him out but his knowledge is vast due to his degree in Philosophy and study of religions has been reciprocal in helping me.

He currently lives and works at a Zen Center and I've been aware of his participation in silent retreats and activities with a group of professors that are way out there in comparison to my world.

Bottom line is my answer is yes and I have no regrets in helping him pursue a path I can only dream of because of the path in life I chose.

• Alder Logs, SteampunkScientist, Moonless and 1 other like this

#5 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,031 posts

Donator

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:14 PM

If they are anything like me, they'll learn plenty on their own....

• roc, SteampunkScientist and Cuboid like this

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,590 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:37 PM

If they are anything like me, they'll learn plenty on their own....

Yeah, I was lucky.  I had learning disorders.  The system couldn't do a thing with me. 

• firerat and SteampunkScientist like this

#7 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 598 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:39 PM

It's a bit soon to be having a very frank discussion about my own use with my 12 year boy but i have given him Prof David Nutt's book "Drugs : Without the Hot Air" and told him it is required study material. It's all about relative harms, harm reduction, and sensible drug policy.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:42 PM

I am yet to sire any younguns, to my mother's chagrin, but I have considered this question... My thoughts on this may change when/if I become a father but I believe that I will allow them to find their own way... If my kids became completely straight edge, I would support them. I think in someways, it is easier to be successful in life if you don't undermine the social programing... I expect to be pretty open with my children and would be there to honestly answer any questions they may have so they can confidently make their own decisions...

I would never want them to fear exploring consciousness and different perspectives but I also wouldn't want them to feel pressured to follow that path.

Every person is different, what has worked for me over the years may not be the best path for them... I go to a lot of concerts and festivals and I have considered whether or not I would take my children with me when I have them... I think that I would keep that part of my life separate until they are old enough to understand intricacies of culture, have a good grip on good vs evil, and can make rational decisions on their own...

I would hope that they will live the life they love and I will support whatever lifestyle that happens to lead them to...

• roc, firerat, SteampunkScientist and 1 other like this

#9 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:29 PM

With that attitude, you will make a great dad one day PJ.  

One thing I learned is this: When I was young, and knew "everything" my dad seemed an idiot.  Now, on the other side of being a dad myself, I am amazed at how freaking smart he actually is.  :biggrin:

• roc and Moonless like this

#10 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:44 PM

I have kids, not old enough yet to find out on their own, but they will.
I got fucked up for cheap thrills as a kid, I imagine my kids will do the same, and the important thing is to keep dialogue open, don't judge or lecture, do your best to keep them safe.
Would I ever get high with my kids? Absolutely, I look forward to it! But whether they want to pursue wisdom, spiritual insights or healing through the use of psychedelics will be up to them.

#11 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 05:23 PM

My kids are still a little young yet for the conversation, but I have thought about this a lot. I’m hoping that they will feel comfortable enough to ask me their questions when they are actually interested. I would love to be able to share my knowledge about the good and bad wrt all types of drugs, with the intent that they can explore consciousness with freedom.

Already I try to get my kids thinking in different ways, keep their minds open to many points of view.

#12 mrmushroomwolf

mrmushroomwolf

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

I think it's sad the there is so much stigma around this subject that we even have to ask. We should be able to model to our children how to properly use these tools to help themselves. We would never feel guilty for getting caught taking an aspirin... I know this doesn't answer the question directly, but I think the question is important but unfortunate. Better that we had been taught by our parents and our community and our healers how to use this medicine to help each other. We would have way less to hide if we didn't demonize it in the first place.

Whatever you decide to do it will be the right choice.

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,304 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 01:20 PM

There's nothing wrong with cheap thrills, so long as they aren't the defining characteristic of one's life (partly because the more expensive thrills are worth exploring, too!).

Having fun is part of the fun, after all.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!