• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:42 PM

It looks like Paul is coming out of the closet on a subject that was always hush hush for most of his career.

The Mushroom Man

All my attempts for a direct copy to here failed! If another mod would like to attempt it and let me know what I was doing wrong. I normally just copy and paste but it not's happening with this web page.

Edited by roc, 03 July 2019 - 01:43 PM.

• Foster, Oneyedraven, Boebs and 2 others like this

#2 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,348 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:25 PM

Also read : How to change your mind by Michael Pollan- Stamets is in it and lots of insights. Worth the read.

• roc and mrmushroomwolf like this

#3 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:13 PM

Also read : How to change your mind by Michael Pollan- Stamets is in it and lots of insights. Worth the read.

It's linked in the article and is a must read.

I found the links in the article to be excellent and in some cases more informative than the article.

• Thacan likes this

#4 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:28 PM

Michael Pollan's book and Paul Stamets' lectures on TED talks and other forums are partly why I am here.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have influenced many other people in the same way.

• roc, Oneyedraven and mrmushroomwolf like this

#5 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:55 PM

Stamets on Joe Rogans podcast was awesome. I realized shortly after that he recycles most of his material though. I probably would too if I had to speak all the time.
  • roc likes this

#6 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:25 PM

Stamets is the shit!  Odd to see this thread considering I thought everyone here was aware of him and his shtick.  He was great on Rogan but as others have noted, he has been very open publicly prior to his Rogan appearance.  I wish that all of us could be open about it.  I'm positive there are many charismatic people here in so-called positions of authority in society that have a sense of living two lives.  To be a closeted psychonaut/psilocybin farmer has parallels to being a closeted gay person.  Sadly, unlike Stamets, most of us have not founded and own companies with DoD contracts--such that we can be public with our thoughts without fear of repercussion from the LEOs, i.e. I suspect he can do what he does because he at least tacitly knows that he will not be prosecuted or harassed--thanks to the work he is doing for the DoD.  Godspeed Stamets!

Edited by ilikethings, 04 July 2019 - 01:38 PM.

• Seeker2be and Cuboid like this

#7 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:52 PM

Stamets is the shit!  Odd to see this thread considering I thought everyone here was aware of him and his shtick.  He was great on Rogan but as others have noted, he has been very open publicly prior to his Rogan appearance.  I wish that all of us could be open about it.  I'm positive there are many charismatic people here in so-called positions of authority in society that have a sense of living two lives.  To be a closeted psychonaut/psilocybin farmer has parallels to being a closeted gay person.  Sadly, unlike Stamets, most of us have not founded and own companies with DoD contracts--such that we can be public with our thoughts without fear of repercussion from the LEOs, i.e. I suspect he can do what he does because he at least tacitly knows that he will not be prosecuted or harassed--thanks to the work he is doing for the DoD.  Godspeed Stamets!

Motorcycling has taught me that a healthy level of paranoia is a good thing.  I don't know much about Paul Stamets, but I can completely understand his healthy paranoia.  And from what I can tell from my short time looking at this subject, he is doing the best he can to advance the cause.  So much to learn, so little time...  Cheers

#8 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 02:37 PM

Motorcycling has taught me that a healthy level of paranoia is a good thing.  I don't know much about Paul Stamets, but I can completely understand his healthy paranoia.  And from what I can tell from my short time looking at this subject, he is doing the best he can to advance the cause.  So much to learn, so little time...  Cheers

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, a little paranoia is probably a good thing but I'm not sure what your referring too.  Although I think this should probably be in a different part of forums I'll nonetheless respond here since there are some mods in thread.  I re-listened to Stamets on Rogan after my initial reply in this thread.  He does assert that he has worked on projects for DoD (albeit perhaps unwillingly due to the Invention Secrecy Act of 1951 (https://en.wikipedia...ion_Secrecy_Act)  Specifically, re smallpox cure/bioweapons.  He also asserted that he, at least in the past, held a DEA license to "manufacture" mushrooms containing psilocybin.  The DEA license should be verifiable via DEA website or FOIA (It would be a pretty big deal if someone looked into it and found that he was lying about having held such a license).  That said, I could see how having the license would actually make one less prone to discuss the topic publicly because of a fear of losing the license.  Shulgin is the only other DEA license holder I can think of that's taken an activist-stance in public for freedom of consciousness.  Just my 2-cents!

Edited by ilikethings, 06 July 2019 - 02:40 PM.

#9 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:30 PM

Paul Stamets   DEA  research license  was threw or attached to his Sponsoring professor when he was doing graduate research on psilocybin ,he did not hold a license to manufacture psilocybin ,it was to study collect and culture various mushrooms that do or might contain psilocybin . , So the license  would  be listed under the University he was doing research threw.  If  you listen to his lectures he clearly explains his license was sponsored threw a University ,..So please don.t be so quick to call someone who has spent 10 s of thousands of hours of research towards the benefit of man helping recognize the legitimate medical use of Psychoactive mushrooms and other beneficial mushrooms  , We are  very close to having Mushrooms  rescheduled by The DEA  towards Medical use and decriminalization  , with stage three medical Study's at John Hopkins and University of Arizona's Alternative Medical School  . and few other study's at University's all getting a license or exception from the DEA to work with psilocybin or psilocybin containing mushrooms .most of theses exceptions were due to or made possible  because of  work of organizations likes M.A.P.S  Organizations Supported by Stamets and his good friend Dr. Andrew Weil who is director of the university of Arizona School of  Alternative Medicine were as i mentioned there are right now stage three studies on psilocybin use to treat various conditions .

So please do the  research yourself before you start calling people lairs ,  just because a friend of a friend said so.

.this is gossip above is facts . try and think first before you post........................ is it ..............facts ?...... or bubba said so .

I Apologize if i sound harsh .or offended  , But  bubba said so...!. is kinda pet peeve  !

Thanks to those that edited some of there unsupported negative comments .

I RECOMMEND ALL READ THE TWO BOOKS LISTED LINKS BELOW .

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/0898158397

51YNNfdC6bL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.c...DXF8A44Z95SY2WS

51-hA33PhQL._SX408_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

LAST OF ALL  A LINK TO A FREE PDF OF OLDER VERSION OF STAMETS BOOK

Growing Gourmet & Medicinal Mushrooms

https://decroissons....hrooms-2000.pdf

Edited by bezevo, 06 July 2019 - 07:07 PM.

• roc, Alder Logs and zenzen like this

#10 zenzen

zenzen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:12 AM

What he is doing to save the bee population by discovering a mushroom based medicine for the bees is amazing. I was able to see a lecture of his at the Science and Non Duality conference a short while back. It was very impressive.

https://youtu.be/TZPkCozuqM8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by zenzen, 09 July 2019 - 07:14 AM.

• roc, Alder Logs, bezevo and 1 other like this

#11 mrmushroomwolf

mrmushroomwolf

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:12 PM

Michael Pollan's book and Paul Stamets' lectures on TED talks and other forums are partly why I am here. I wouldn't be surprised if they have influenced many other people in the same way.
Me for sure. I read that book while I was in patient for mental health. It sparked my interest gave me hope that there might be another way. Pharmaceuticals have helped me get better but I felt like I could never truly live with them. That book changed my whole world. It made me realize everything I knew about "drugs" was a lie. I'm probably alive today because of those two men.

(Note: I'm not anti psychology/psychiatry some really caring and talented people helped me through some real tough shit and I'll never talk bad about them or what they did. I just feel like they got me on a life raft whereas personal development and psychedelics handed me a boat and paddle. )
  • roc, Alder Logs, bezevo and 1 other like this

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,421 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:49 PM

The guest on the second half of the Coast to Coast AM radio show last night was Jerry Brown, Ph.D., about psychedelics. They talked everything from mushrooms and early Christianity to microdosing.  I hope that this is one that the C2C people decide to publish on line.  Most of their content is behind a paywall now. 

https://duckduckgo.c...tb=v82-1&ia=web

• roc and zenzen like this

#13 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:57 PM

@bezevo, thanks for the info!  That makes sense about the university holding the DEA license and Stamets working under said license.  I hope I'm not the person you are referring to with this statement: "So please do the  research yourself before you start calling people lairs[.]"  I'm not calling anyone a liar.  I really dig Stamets and applaud his work! :)  I've even sent the results of some of his work to the local gov near where I once lived due to a certain soil-remediation effort they are dealing with.

My point in my initial reply was simply that (1) it's awesome how stamets is out in public advocating for change re the legal status of psilocybin fungi but it is also sad that more ppl can't do that bc they do not have the celebrity of Stamets and would likely be investigated for making public statements re psilocybin's benefits and almost non-existent physiological risks.  Once you go truly public (e.g. giving a lecture or an interview) you will be on someone's radar--likely a local county prosecutor--looking to make a name for herself by plucking some low hanging fruit.

@ Alder Logs, Jerry Brown and his wife are cool.  I found them after reading half of John Marco Allegro's book "The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross."  I was all about the Jesus is a mushroom theory but for two things: (1) In Alegro's book, he only focuses on Muscaria (which I don't agree with--but I have not tried it), and (2) I then listened to another Christian scholar that also argues that Christianity was influenced by psychoactive plants (but not mushrooms); his name is Tom Hatsis.  I'd suggest the Psychedelics Today episode from 12-25-2018 entitled "Jerry Brown and Tom Hatsis."  Tom Hatsis argues against the mushroom theory and presents specific plant species other than mushrooms (I am aware that fungi are not plants) that account for the mushroom-like images in paintings, et al.

P.S. I'm aware of his bee work and applaud him on it.  excellent!

Edited by ilikethings, 10 July 2019 - 06:09 PM.

• roc and Alder Logs like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!