• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 coe33

coe33

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:38 PM

Looking forward to the experience of learning how to grow mushrooms but wanted to know if they are strain specific kind of like Cannabis. What would be a good strain for me to start out with that won’t be too rough of a grow or too much of a headache. I’m sure this will be a learning process but I’m going to take the K.I.S.S. approach. What strain was your first successful harvest?
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#2 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:46 PM

B+ was my first.

Really and cube strain outside of PE is going to be about the same in terms of growing. Just pick one and go for it. 

I always recommend B+ and golden teacher as they were my firsts though. 

• coe33 likes this

#3 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 442 posts

Donator

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:03 PM

Mushrooms are not like cannabis and that goes for the sub-strain of cubensis. Cubensis is a strain of psilocybe, there are other strains of psilocybe like semilanceata, azurescens, cyanescens, etc......

Cambodian was my first but, I second firerat with the Golden Teacher pick. GT is very resilient.

• firerat and coe33 like this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:12 PM

Looking forward to the experience of learning how to grow mushrooms but wanted to know if they are strain specific kind of like Cannabis. What would be a good strain for me to start out with that won’t be too rough of a grow or too much of a headache. I’m sure this will be a learning process but I’m going to take the K.I.S.S. approach. What strain was your first successful harvest?

All cubes are essentially the same, but the Asian strains seem to grow faster than most. I like Ban Phang Ka and Cambodians were my first methinks.

• firerat, Baphom3t and coe33 like this

#5 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:08 PM

Try something that sounds good to you....aside from that I agree with the others here, most of the cubes are the same when it comes to growing. My first was Burma, always had good trips with them and they grew fine.
  • coe33 likes this

#6 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:04 PM

I use to favor and recommend EQ but I am loving the bold fast colonization of the Chitwan strain. It's quick and aggressive and I love the clusters.

CatsAndBats makes a good point about the Asian strains and the Chitwan fits right in there.

Thank you John Allen for bringing us this wonderful collection!

• firerat, CatsAndBats and coe33 like this

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:13 PM

I use to favor and recommend EQ but I am loving the bold fast colonization of the Chitwan strain. It's quick and aggressive and I love the clusters.

CatsAndBats makes a good point about the Asian strains and the Chitwan fits right in there.

Thank you John Allen for bringing us this wonderful collection!

post-147940-0-31490000-1562195529.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• cue.jpg

• roc, firerat, Cue and 1 other like this

#8 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,987 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:02 AM

LOL CatsAndBats!

#9 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:26 PM

B+ was my first. But, yeah Cambodian would  be a good choice. If there is any China floating around that may be even better.

#10 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 458 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:25 AM

I did well with Golden Teacher, which was the go to answer for what strain is best for newbies. However, I'm doing a Nepal Chitwan right now that colonized incredibly fast, with no finicky requirements. A few others are also growing them now and seem to have the same experience. So, I think that would be my recommendation now. Whatever you choose will work though, some genetics are known for their challenges, like PE, but really, just go with your gut for the most part. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!