• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:32 PM

There are also studies showing that saint johns wort does not mix well with SSRIs...
  • makinbones69 and Opendoors like this

#22 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:04 AM

There are also studies showing that saint johns wort does not mix well with SSRIs...

Indeed, it seems to have similar action as SSRI's so it is sensible to treat is as if it were an SSRI in terms of what you do and don't mix it with.

• Opendoors likes this

#23 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 114 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:26 PM

Does anybody have a recommendation on how long one would have to stop taking SSRI's before they start microdosing?

#24 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 122 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:19 PM

Step down protocol is normally 2 weeks. I gave it 30 days just to be sure. I worked with my dr under the “assumption” of wanting to go off of the SSRIs and had an emergency plan (starter kit doses) of Ssri and a script for a few (5) benzodiazepines just in case I crashed and burned on the wean off. I did start myself on l-tryptophan (serotonin precursor) and GABA - slows down the fight or flight response. To help bring my brain chemistry back to baseline. I also had very positive results from micro-dosing, .2mg dry 5 on 2 off.
Had a few failed grows and am out , so far so good! I do not regret going off the anti depressants- but it’s not for everybody.
  • bezevo and Opendoors like this

#25 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 122 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:19 PM

Step down protocol is normally 2 weeks. I gave it 30 days just to be sure. I worked with my dr under the “assumption” of wanting to go off of the SSRIs and had an emergency plan (starter kit doses) of Ssri and a script for a few (5) benzodiazepines just in case I crashed and burned on the wean off. I did start myself on l-tryptophan (serotonin precursor) and GABA - slows down the fight or flight response. To help bring my brain chemistry back to baseline. I also had very positive results from micro-dosing, .2mg dry 5 on 2 off.
Had a few failed grows and am out , so far so good! I do not regret going off the anti depressants- but it’s not for everybody.
  • Opendoors likes this

#26 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 81 posts

Posted Today, 01:24 AM

I used a 30 day stepdown plan for my SSRI s and benzodiazepines. I was on very high doses, and even doing it gradually, I know for a fact I was not pleasant to be around. Now, that is the stepdown. I have not found any concrete numbers, but a lot of anecdotal suggestions that you wait 3 weeks after the meds are out of your system, however each and every one of us has a unique biochemical make-up and may take varying times to "baseline". I too have found GABA to be very helpful with the anxiety and L-lysine as a seratonin precursor. As im sure you are aware, lions mane has been proven high in brain growth factor and helps with neurogenesis. I have seen promising evidence to show that this helps the growth of new brain cells and "communication infrastructure" and can personally attest to a boost in mood and mental clarity, and has been very helpful in "getting back to baseline"...
  • Opendoors likes this

#27 deepblueseawhale

deepblueseawhale

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted Today, 03:17 AM

Does anybody have a recommendation on how long one would have to stop taking SSRI's before they start microdosing?

Depends on the type of the SSRI and it's half life. 30 days to be on the safe side. See Harvard's page Going off antidepressants - https://www.health.h...antidepressants.

As for alternatives St. John's Wort works great if you can get your hand on a quality alcohol extract (preferably tincture). You might even make one yourself if you live in a region where it grows as its full bloom now. There's a great forum SJW info with great advice from various users who used it for years.

You may also check out amino acid L-tryptophan, which naturally increases the level of serotonin by providing essential building blocks to the brain.

As for combination with fungi, SJW can potentiate its effects while L-tryptophan will dull them. To be on the safe side she can stop using them about a week or so before the journey and continue in the days afterwards. Also she should not take both together (SJW+L-tryptophan) as that might be dangerous. So one or the other.

Edited by deepblueseawhale, Today, 03:19 AM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#28 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,296 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 12:57 PM

When I made tincture of St.John's wort, if memory serves, I used a one to one dilution of everclear and submerged the flowers in it.  I just visited a friend the other day and saw his property was covered in it in full bloom.  So, maybe I should make some this year, because it's there.  I just found this site that has the instructions for making the tincture, which looks like what I did: http://www.susanhutc.../st-johns-wort/.  It's really cool how the green buds and yellow flowers make that deep red tincture. 

• Opendoors likes this

#29 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 114 posts

Posted Today, 01:04 PM

When I made tincture of St.John's wort, if memory serves, I used a one to one dilution of everclear and submerged the flowers in it. I just visited a friend the other day and saw his property was covered in it in full bloom. So, maybe I should make some this year, because it's there. I just found this site that has the instructions for making the tincture, which looks like what I did: http://www.susanhutc.../st-johns-wort/. It's really cool how the green buds and yellow flowers make that deep red tincture.

That's awesome...I got to try that for sure

#30 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,296 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 01:14 PM

Just for fun; how is the word, "work," pronounced?  That is how the word, "wort," is also pronounced.  Just as in hospitals, people are put in, "wards," not, "words," it's not St.John's wart.  You don't make beer from a wart, either.  St. John may have had a wart, it's possible.  But, we won't be making medicine from it.

#31 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,335 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 01:29 PM

You don't make beer from a wart, either.  

I've seen plenty of strange things included in the wort, but thank the heavens, never a wart.... 

The very thought makes me a little squeamish, lol.

Edited by Juthro, Today, 01:29 PM.

#32 Opendoors

Opendoors

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 114 posts

Posted Today, 01:46 PM

Hmmm... isnt a wart some type of fungus?lol

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!