• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:31 PM

I read the archives and active discussions on this forum for hours every day, but as a noob with no experience I am still left with questions.  So here goes:  Following the PF Tek method, once the mycelium has fully covered the jar walls, as I understand it, we wait for “pinning” before transferring to the fruiting chamber.  Is that correct?  Also, how long between full visible jar coverage and pinning?  Since the jar was inoculated on the walls doesn’t it take the mycelium some time to fill the interior of the jar?  How obvious is the pinning?  

I am just trying to get a good idea on what to look for before transferring to fruiting chamber.

Thanks.

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:01 PM

Not really sure where this notion of "wait til they pin in the jar" notion came from. There's nothing wrong with waiting until then, but it's not mandatory.

I birth cakes when they're 100% colonized and have shrunk a little bit. Then an overnight soak in in the fridge, a roll in verm (or not), then into a fruiting chamber. I don't mess with perlite anymore. Actually I just throw cakes into misted tupperware and seal almost all the way, and forget about them. Please keep in mind that growing cakes is a novelty for me at this point, but I can make and grow cakes in my sleep. :tongue:

I've got a lot of hacks/fixes on PF tek, but I'd have to sit down and go thru all of the steps and re-write it, take pictures, etc. That said, I love cakes and have spent many a post defending them ferociously on this site. 

Here's hoogshagenii on cakes:

post-147940-0-73704800-1519434151.jpg

From here:

https://mycotopia.ne...grow-log/page-7

Here's a mini tupperware dub tub of b+ from 100 years ago:

post-147940-0-90038400-1455834996.jpg

Here's some oysters on cakes:

post-147940-0-36872200-1515271331.jpg

From here:

https://mycotopia.ne...pf-cakes/page-3

You get the idea.

• Boebs likes this

#3 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:48 PM

The notion came from Professor Fanaticus. Standard part of the original PF Tek.
  • roc and coorsmikey like this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:19 PM

The notion came from Professor Fanaticus. Standard part of the original PF Tek.

Yeah, I figured as much, but a lot of the preconceived notions about our beloved hobby have changed since the original tek was written.

If you want to play the "The notion came from Professor Fanaticus" card, then let's do this, smarty pants!

Why are there four injection ports? To watch the rhizo like one watches a goldfish? That's great and all, but if one puts one injection port and inoculates straight down the middle of the cake, one doesn't have to guess if the whole cake is colonized, one already knows because one started in the middle and grew outward as opposed inoculating on the outside working inward. Plus that's 3 more contamination vectors.

Wiping the rim of the jar to make sure that no excess verm is on the side is another worthless step, if one sterilized properly and practices mindful aseptic technique, it doesn't matter.

Perlite, clearly unneeded as not one of my actual examples pictured of cakes required perlite.

PC for one hour? Nope, 30min, I haven't had a cake contaminate since my first cake run.

Take a shower or inoculate in the nude?! That's ridiculous. Syringe work literally requires a lighter and a clorox wipe.

Spray the room down with iso alcohol? That's not how bacteria/molds work and alcohol barely kills anything.

A heat bomb?! WTF for? Cubes grow at room temperature and if one adds heat, one increases the likelihood of contamination exponentially, and most growers following the original PF tek are brand new to the hobby, and shouldn't increase their likelihood of contamination, they should be decreasing it.

Okay, I'm only halfway debunking some of the misconceptions that are in the original tek, and like I already said, I LOVE RUNNING CAKES and I will defend PF tek til the day that I die, but a lot of the steps in the original writing are nonsensical.

JK, I love you man, but don't come at me with some smart-ass bullcrap post like that. This site is about respect, and I found your post disrespectful to the voluminous amount of knowledge that I've imparted on this site through posting my successes and failures.

I stand by my work.

But please prove me wrong.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 04 July 2019 - 11:25 PM.

#5 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:32 PM

Well. I'll just move on then.

#6 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 12:29 AM

I get that not everything in PF Tek is necessary and that's why beginners like me ask questions.  With no experience, I've read that on the first go around we should stick to the PF tek and things will turn out ok.  I try to find other teks along the way to improve my understanding and improvise (and there are shit tons to dig through), but there are still some holes in the knowledge that I find.  Ya and a simple glove box is the way to go for me.

I am at a stage where I am contemplating the timing of transfer to a fruiting chamber.  So it sounds like at the full jar coverage it's time and so the next step is to remove and soak overnight.  My issue is that I might be on a road trip during fruiting and from what I've read elsewhere the thing to do is pick any fruit off the cakes and store in the fridge for the few days that I am gone and then soak and back to the fruiting chamber when I return.  This is why I have all of these timing questions is how to fit this into real life come-and-go.  I may be a little bit OCD about timing and wanting to understand everything in detail, but from what I can tell I'm not alone in the noob community.

CatsAndBats, it's interesting to see how simple things work.  For fruiting, I am leaning toward the standard pf tek tub, but with 2" of perlite instead of 4" and a humidifier on a controller.  I know that I could probably eliminate the perlite altogether, but I already have it on hand and I'm in the desert.  Room temperature will work for me and maybe with some cooling packs if things get too warm.

I certainly recognize and greatly appreciate the contributions that both of you guys (& others) make to this community every day.  Thanks for the replies.

Take care.

• joeya likes this

#7 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:10 PM

I really don't want this to get all shroomery up in here. That’s why I joined this site and not that one.
  • joeya and Thacan like this

#8 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:36 PM

If you're gone for a few days, it depends on what stage your cakes are whether you need to break them down or not. I did that for an absence of over a week. Another time, I was only going to be gone for about 4 days so I put an airstone under the perlite and put more water in. Although two cakes did sporulate, this worked out quite well for me. If you have no pins, and are going to be gone for less than a week, I would recommend this. If you have pins, the more advance they are, the less desirable this approach would be. 

I think the break down and clean and refrigerate is the foolproof method, but could be overkill in many situations. 

• Thacan likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!