25 replies to this topic

#21 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,322 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:22 PM

Both really.

You don’t have to worry too much during colonization, just a half turn from being tight really. There will be plenty of gas exchange if done so. But I always leave mine very loose during sterilization, tighten after bringing out to cool and solidify. And I usually finish my cooling upside down. After about an hour or so, the agar will have solidified so you can invert the jar without it losing its shape. This will help with excess condensation.

Edited by peacefrog, 05 July 2019 - 02:24 PM.

#22 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 702 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:24 PM

Just making sure colonization didn’t matter much. I was assuming right to prevent any foreign stuff. And didn’t think and air exchange was wanted.
I definitely need some practice on dragging spores.

#23 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,322 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:32 PM

Absolutely correct. No air exchange needed or wanted during agar colonization. Only general gas exchange (GE) and very little from my experience.

When I first started using jars for agar, I used the knowledge from what I learned from petri dishes. There was no modification nor much gas exchange. So... I concluded that there doesn’t need to be much more than that for jars either. Works perfect for me.
  • Misfit likes this

#24 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 702 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:37 PM

Absolutely correct. No air exchange needed or wanted during agar colonization. Only general gas exchange (GE) and very little from my experience.

When I first started using jars for agar, I used the knowledge from what I learned from petri dishes. There was no modification nor much gas exchange. So... I concluded that there doesn’t need to be much more than that for jars either. Works perfect for me.

I am glad that I didnt go balls to the wall and get dishes and Parafilm. Jars seem to make plenty of sense. I will however take cats' advice and get the squared off ones. The rounds make it a little hard to get a good look at what is going on. I also will be using the tilt trick to get a slanted surface next run. 

• peacefrog likes this

#25 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,322 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:48 PM

There are a few disadvantages to using jars verses petri dishes for sure and that is one of them.

But after doing it a while, one can spot contamination verses healthy mycelium using a flash light without opening the top. It just takes seeing a lot of contamination and mycelium to spot the differences.

Cat’s way is an awesome technique and you should definitely give it a whirl.

As far as streaking spores, it’s just practice, practice, practice. After doing it many times, muscle memory will take over and the movements will become automatic with little to no thought put into it. My lids are off no more than a second or so during streaking/inoculation. It’s a very quick but deliberate motion. And I always advocate on rehearsing the motions before doing the agar work in your head and/or in real time without opening a dish/jar.

#26 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 702 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

It did't help that I was using a make shift loop. Im sure it can only get better with time... My mantra lately has been "Its my first time". My jars have a decent amount of growth now that they are approaching just shy of a week. Everything seems to look healthy. Just very sporadic. 
It isnt until you start doing transfers that the beautiful sun burst patterns start id assume. Looking forward to seeing that.

• Truheart11 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!