• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 12:24 PM

I have 5 beautiful half pint Tek jars completely white for four days now. Unfortunately I used the wrong shape jars. So I am going to have to grate and mix them into substrate. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction to complete my first grow. Was going to put them on foil over perlite until I realized the jar problem . I have a bunch of pasteurized coir/verm/ gypsum ready. Thanks in advance

#2 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 12:30 PM

I would say give a variation of this a try. Do what you can to maintain sanitary conditions and you may find yourself poised for more success than you hoped for!

https://mycotopia.ne...y-mofo-bag-tek/

• norcolapalco likes this

#3 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,955 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:06 PM

A 50/50 coir / verm mix in a tray is an option as well.

#4 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

A 50/50 coir / verm mix in a tray is an option as well.

OK, so I mix the crumbled jars with 50/50 in a tray, then what follows? 

#5 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:23 PM

I would say give a variation of this a try. Do what you can to maintain sanitary conditions and you may find yourself poised for more success than you hoped for!

So that seems reasonable enough, but it seems like I'd just be creating more spawn, right? How would you suggest proceeding with the spawn once it has been multiplied?

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,813 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:48 PM

You are a free member now norcolapalco. I moved this over to the magic mushroom forum for you, where you will get more views and replies.

Welcome to Mycotopia !!!!!

#7 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:51 PM

So that seems reasonable enough, but it seems like I'd just be creating more spawn, right? How would you suggest proceeding with the spawn once it has been multiplied?

mix up a batch of equal parts coir and verm and spawn that mix at a one to one ratio. If you think you already have enough, you could even skip the step of growing out the spawn and use the existing cakes, after you break them out and crumble them.

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 687 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:53 PM

you said  you figured out you need a different jar shape next time ..  so i like  ball/ker 1/2 pint wide mouth jars .

ROC Idea for current issue should work .

all so just in case you missed it  The Thread MAGIC FOR THE MASSES  will be good info for your first cpl grows the next few times

below is a link for that thread in the first post is a link for a FREE PDF  book

https://mycotopia.ne...for-the-masses/

WELCOME AND GOOD LUCK

Bez

Edited by bezevo, 06 July 2019 - 04:17 PM.

• roc and norcolapalco like this

#9 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:16 PM

mix up a batch of equal parts coir and verm and spawn that mix at a one to one ratio. If you think you already have enough, you could even skip the step of growing out the spawn and use the existing cakes, after you break them out and crumble them.

OK, so any suggestion of  tek or set of procedures should I use once I do that? Spawn crumbled into verm mixture....into what kind of container? Covered how? Maintained how? I'm not asking for anyone to type up the specific instructions, but other teks I've found don't seem to apply to my situation in one aspect or another. This is my first grow, so I don't want to go down a faulty path. Is there a tek that is applicable to crumbling my cakes into verm/coir, where I'm not just making more spawn, but actually growing out the spawn?  (The ziploc bags method seems easily contammed.) So...is there an easy reliable tek posted somewhere that I can plug my 5 half pint white jars and pasteurized verm into?

Edited by norcolapalco, 06 July 2019 - 04:19 PM.

#10 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,475 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:21 PM

Are these half pint jars? For half pints I'd do one pint dub tubs. Trays are fine too, especially if you already have a fruiting chamber or something easy to make one with.

What do you have to work with tray/tub wise?

#11 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:38 PM

Are these half pint jars? For half pints I'd do one pint dub tubs. Trays are fine too, especially if you already have a fruiting chamber or something easy to make one with.

Anything I don't have I can get my hands on. I have aluminum trays (without lids) , plastic bins small medium and large. I have seen teks that would call for glass trays with plastic snap-on lids, but I'd feel better if someone endorsed them.I have the room and the privacy to do whatever it takes.

#12 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:39 PM

OK, so any suggestion of  tek or set of procedures should I use once I do that? Spawn crumbled into verm mixture....into what kind of container? Covered how? Maintained how? I'm not asking for anyone to type up the specific instructions, but other teks I've found don't seem to apply to my situation in one aspect or another. This is my first grow, so I don't want to go down a faulty path. Is there a tek that is applicable to crumbling my cakes into verm/coir, where I'm not just making more spawn, but actually growing out the spawn?  (The ziploc bags method seems easily contammed.) So...is there an easy reliable tek posted somewhere that I can plug my 5 half pint white jars and pasteurized verm into?

See what you think of this one.    https://mycotopia.ne...us-tek-reprint/

#13 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:57 PM

OK that looks do-able, but the photos do not load. I have to wonder, when he says cover with plastic wrap and put in a dark warm place...no holes poked in plasticwrap? Also,

when he says put casings into terrarium...do they come out of the trays or stay in the tray? These are the types of details that seem to derail me every time I read through a tek in hopes of employing it to my cakes.

#14 roc

roc

• 7,955 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:03 PM

Anything I don't have I can get my hands on. I have aluminum trays (without lids) , plastic bins small medium and large. I have seen teks that would call for glass trays with plastic snap-on lids, but I'd feel better if someone endorsed them.I have the room and the privacy to do whatever it takes.

JK is referring to taking two small containers like in this picture for a completely all in one option for you.

These are on the larger size but you can take any small containers and match them up like this.

post-1-0-44820100-1376457798.jpg

#15 roc

roc

• 7,955 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:04 PM

To keep it simple don't worry about a casing layer on top.

#16 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,475 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:40 PM

You can these from Dollar tree. 3 or 4 for a dollar depending on the stock.

20190706_181023-1.jpg

These are one pint. Remember it takes two containers per tub. Big enough for a half pint cake and about an equal amount of spawn. Since you'll have to break up your cake to get it out, get it into a zip lock bag and smash the cake up as best you can. Mix with your choice of substrate. Straight vermiculite works, coir/verm or even straight coir. You want it full up to about a half inch from the top.

Once you have it mixed, put in your unmodified bottom container , have your lid prepped with a few holes, 3 or 4 covered with micropore. Pop the lid on and set the tub to colonize.

You can leave it like that till you see pins begin. Then replace the lid with your second tub, the second tub you want a few holes in the top, 4 Or 5. And one on each side. I heat the tip of a small drill bit to melt the holes. Cover holes with micropore.

Now it can set till harvest. No fruiting chamber neccesary, no misting or fanning.

They can do this:

Note, these were done with grain spawn, but it will work fine with cakes as spawn.

Treasure Coast

20190206_212901-1.jpg

20190206_115825-1.jpg

And ARX just for fun

20190701_224523-1.jpg
  • roc and Thacan like this

#17 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:41 PM

JK is referring to taking two small containers like in this picture for a completely all in one option for you.

These are on the larger size but you can take any small containers and match them up like this.

<script data-pagespeed-no-defer type="text/javascript">//b||1342177279>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split("."),d=t;a[0]in d||!d.execScript||d.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===c?d[e]?d=d[e]:d=d[e]={}:d[e]=c};function v(b){var c=b.length;if(0=c.offsetWidth&&0>=c.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{d=c.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=d.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);d=d.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+d;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.g.height&&d<=b.g.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.c[e]=!0)}y.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&z(this,b)};u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){x.checkImageForCriticality(b)});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){A(x)});function A(b){b.b={};for(var c=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],d=0;d=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if©{d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch®{try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}}function B(){var b={},c;c=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(!c.length)return{};var a=c[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var d=0;a=c[d];++d){var e=a.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].o&&a.height>=b[e].m)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b}var C="";u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return C});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,c,a,d,e,f){var r=new y(b,c,a,e,f);x=r;d&&w(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){A®},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://mycotopia.ne...ums&module=ajax┬žion=topics&do=quote&t=106496&p=1411936&md5check=08ce39eba17dca4cb82967b2d1e191d7&isRte=1,lMGhzzyjA5,true,false,W6Teo-I2Owk'); //]]></script> post-1-0-44820100-1376457798.jpg&&0){for(var>)throw>

OK, I have tubs like this. I have healthy completely colonised cakes. I have pasteurized casing ready to go, moist but not too wet. I have more verm if needed.. Now I just need a tek guide that tells me step by step what to do with these materials.  EDIT: I wrote this before JK's follow up popped up. THANK YOU JK! It looks like the perfect solution to my situation, and thanks to everybody who gave guidance. I will post follow up photos. Thanks again.

Edited by norcolapalco, 06 July 2019 - 05:43 PM.

#18 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,475 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:42 PM

Forgot to mention, the top two were straight vermiculite, the ARX with a basic Coir/verm 75/25

#19 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 08:48 PM

JK Deth that gameplan you gave me fits my situation like a glove. Hopefully soon I'l have photographic confirmation of that.  

#20 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,475 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2019 - 08:51 PM

Cool. I love dub tubs. Little ones or big ones. Cause I'm lazy.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!