38 replies to this topic

#21 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,042 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:29 AM

Or, you can do an eatualive tek. Dunk your newly birthed cakes for a few hours and put the cakes in a baggie, crumble them up and then dump them in a pie tin and tamp them down, not mixing them with anything else. Cover with a coir/verm casing layer (whenever I do use this casing mix I add a half teaspoon of hydrated lime in a gallon of water to hydrate the casing layer, which sets up a myc friendly and contam resistant casing) lightly sprinkle the casing over the surface and cover with saran wrap with a couple holes poked in the saran with a tooth pick. Everything will re-knit in a couple days and when you see the myc break through the casing @ 25%, remove the plastic wrap and put them in your fruiting chamber. You are basically just crumbling to reshape the cake. I believe he used 2-3 1/2 pint cakes per pie tin. The flushes were better because there was more surface area to fruit on.

Edited by onediadem, 07 July 2019 - 01:34 AM.

• norcolapalco likes this

#22 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:47 PM

Cool. I love dub tubs. Little ones or big ones. Cause I'm lazy.

JK, tiny tiny tiny brown headed thingys popping up in my dub tubs, looking good! 

Now.........these grain bags were all nocced with the same batch of LC at the same sitting 3 weeks ago. For some reason 3 took

and 2 did nothing. Should I re-nocc the 2 lazy boys? Keep waiting?

Aaaaand....who has a tek suggestion for proceeding with the good ones? 3 lbs each. I have half a bucket of verm/coir/gypsum that I

pasteurized with boiling water. I got lots more verm, coir and gypsum. I got 2 big bags black kat. Got 2 bags perlite. Got a Home Depot credit card. And some clear bins.

bags

Edited by norcolapalco, 10 July 2019 - 09:00 PM.

#23 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:10 PM

Great! Glad you're seeing success.

The two dud bags, was there no change at all, or did they turn dark and look wet now?

The colonized, You'll use those for spawn to colonize bigger tubs. What wieght were they?

#24 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:20 PM

The bags are 3 lbs each.

The duds, they have just a bit of caramel colored dampness in the bottom, where its only visible if you lift the bag up and look at the very bottom.

They definitely sweated , some slight condensation visible in bag. 

#25 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:24 PM

They're probably very bacterial. I'd toss them.

#26 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:04 PM

They're probably very bacterial. I'd toss them.

OK JK, I'm leaning on you hard here. So the dubtubs are not "pinning" yet i don't think, but I'm seeing lots of tiny "hairs" growing, with dots on them, some that look like beads of water clinging to them. Par for the course?

RE: grain bags. Threw out the 2 duds. Made a monotub, put a layer of pasteurized moist verm/coir/gypsum, then thoroughly crumbled and

bin3
bin1
Bin 2

mixed in 2 of those grain bags. Should I case with verm?  Mist/fan?  Sub/spawn mixture feels like a sponge, bounces up like a solid object when I press gently. Please advise as you see fit. See pics.

#27 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:45 PM

This hasn't been colonizing long yet has it? I'm thinking you just need to give it a bit more time.

#28 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:43 PM

This hasn't been colonizing long yet has it? I'm thinking you just need to give it a bit more time.

The pictures are of a monotub i made today by adding 2 of those fully colonized grain bags to a verm/coir/gypsum substrate.

Edit: to be clear, I've got 2 projects running.

I made a couple small dub tubs with 4 PF Tek jars

I made a monotub using 2 colonized 3 lb grain bags.

Edited by norcolapalco, 13 July 2019 - 06:47 PM.

#29 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:52 PM

Okay. Looks fine then. That might be a bit airy. I would mist it and drop a piece of bubble wrap over it. Leave it a week an report back.

I don't really case cubes, I seem to get the about the same results with or without.

I don't always use bubble wrap either, but I'm thinking as is, this tub might dry a bit before pinning and you'll end up with an uneven flush of mostly side pins. The bubble wrap will prevent that and could give you a more even pinset.

Its too early to be misting a d fanning. Let that colonize.

#30 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:56 PM

Thanks again JK!

#31 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:41 AM

Its too early to be misting a d fanning. Let that colonize.

So I may be kvetching for no reason, but I wanted to get your opinion on the  little wisps of "grass?" that are growing in my grain mono and my BRF dubtubs.  Both dubtubs are VERY cottony, with just a few droplets of water sitting amongst the "q-tips," and the wisps growing (see photo) Are these wisps the precursors of mushrooms, or am I growing Brown Rice?  Surprised how quickly wisps have popped up in the Monotub. Will be misting and adding bubble wrap  to mono tonight. Is it possible the super- cottony dubtubs also need misting? Pics provided.....

MONO 2
MONO 2
dubtub 1
dubtub 1

#32 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:49 AM

Wisp close-up in red circle of last photo

Dub detail

#33 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:43 PM

Great! Glad you're seeing success.

Hey JK, Noob-in-Crisis seeking further guidance.

RE:  PF TEK BRF jars :  So I probably started over-misting because nothing was happening. Now the 2 dubtub blocks have pulled away from the sides a bit and  a small amount of standing water has collected in the gap, which is bad right? (When you tilt the tub, it pools at one end.) But now I have finally some activity, some litttle side-pins (see pics.) No pins anywhere else. Several pre-pins seem to be popping up, but again , only on the sides. Should I drain that water off?

(2) My 3lb grain bags :  Nothing but cobweb/cotton. Well, there seems to be a bit of re-colonization happening beneath the surface (see monotub mycelium photos.) Note: this block feels like a homemade cake in a rectangular pan. It is a solid mass, not a loose pile. When you press down on it, it's sponge-y, bounces back up. Last couple days been misting it way too much probably. In panic mode....Any advice much appreciated

Also, JK, I did the bubble wrap for 6 days in the monotub, no discernible change

Sidepins
Dubtub sidepin #2
Another sidepin Dub

dubtub multipin overview
Dub Tub with tiny sidepins

monotub mycelium 1
Mycelium re-constituting under substrate?

monotub overview 2
overview of grain monotub

monotub Xx zoom
close-up of grain monotub

Edited by norcolapalco, 20 July 2019 - 10:12 PM.

#34 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:02 PM

Pulling away from the sides is pretty common. Starts happening shortly after colonization. If you only have pins on the sides, the microclimate there was better than the rest of the tub. But at that point I probably wouldn't try to fix it. I don't like standing water. Do pour it off.

#35 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:24 PM

Pulling away from the sides is pretty common. Starts happening shortly after colonization. If you only have pins on the sides, the microclimate there was better than the rest of the tub. But at that point I probably wouldn't try to fix it. I don't like standing water. Do pour it off.

Thanks as always JK

#36 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:06 PM

OK JK, I'll probably be sorry, but I figured what the hell, and I went with some impulsive rescue attempts today.

RE: Dubtubs    

In the dubtubs I got no growth at all until I over-misted, and that little bit of action I got was strictly limited to the sides of the tub where water was collecting. I'm gambling and going forward with the assumption that there was a lack of moisture. The side pins have increased in number and size, but there's only about 10 little ones in one tub an 8 in the other, so it's no big loss if this project goes south completely. So in the middle of the tubs, where there is no activity, I used a spoon to dig around create a crumbled area in middle of the substrate, and carefully misted this crumbled middle area to make it moist. At worst I will end up harvesting some sidepins that develop. 

RE: Monotub with stalled grainspawn:   As I mentioned, the block was solid and sponge-y, and covered in white cotton/cobweb. I still had one fully colonized grain spawn bag on the shelf. So I sanitized myself and dug into the monotub, crumbling everything up, adding water (it didn't feel very moist) and gypsum. Then I crumbled in my last colonized grain bag. Transferred about 15% of this mix into a dubtub, it had gotten kinda high-piled in the bin with the added water and grainspawn. Myco-suicide?

BTW, JK I really appreciate all your input. I'm in New Orleans. If there's anything on your wish-list New Orleans-related, food/music/sports/whatever, message me and I'll be happy to hook you up.

Edited by norcolapalco, Yesterday, 07:08 PM.

#37 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 PM

You can drop bubble wrap on top of those to try and help with ppinning.

#38 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:06 PM

You can drop bubble wrap on top of those to try and help with ppinning.

Bubble wrap on all of them? grain bins and PF tek cake dubtubs?

#39 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,433 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 08:57 PM

Yep. It will mimic the same conditions that caused side pins.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!