#41 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:22 PM

first flush july 2019

Progress!!!

Edited by norcolapalco, 23 July 2019 - 01:16 PM.

#42 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:25 PM

Do I harvest just the ones that have popped? Lots of tiny tiny lil guys against the wall, some below the surface, visible from outside the tubs.

Even a bit of activity starting in the middle now. Not sure best way to move forward.... 

#43 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 417 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:15 PM

just pull what is ready, leave the rest to mature later. It looks thin enough that you should be able to do that without disturbing much. 

Good Luck!

• norcolapalco likes this

#44 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:04 PM

just pull what is ready, leave the rest to mature later. It looks thin enough that you should be able to do that without disturbing much. 

Good Luck!

So these tubs that were once feared D.O.A. are producing pretty well now , but what's up with the size? 

7 26 tubs split shot photo

#45 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,324 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:37 PM

Elongated stems with small caps are a sign of high CO2.

More fresh air exchange will fix that.

The important part is that you got a harvest from the grow (congratulations!).

• dad and norcolapalco like this

#46 dad

dad

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:44 PM

you can take the lids off your jars and put the jars in a shotgun fruit chamber.  that's called the lazy mans tek……………..

#47 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:45 AM

Thanks TV Casualty and dad!

#48 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:03 PM

Are these just bruising, or contam?. No green on or in substrate. A few of these  cubes are turning greenish before maturing.

greenie1

greenie2

greenie3

#49 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,324 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

Now they're not getting enough humidity.

The discoloration is bruising (so they're fine to eat), which normally happens when they're handled or damaged but also happens with they get too dry (which is also a form of damage I suppose).

Getting a good flush is basically a constant balancing act between getting them plenty of fresh air while also maintaining high humidity. But it's better to err on the side of too dry as you can always add more water/mist but it's real hard to remove it when there's too much.

#50 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:01 AM

Agreed, not contamination. Any time you need to reassure yourself about contamination, you can roll a q-tip across the spot in question. Molds will transfer their discoloration to the q-tip, while bruising will not. 

#51 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:38 PM

Agreed, not contamination. Any time you need to reassure yourself about contamination, you can roll a q-tip across the spot in question. Molds will transfer their discoloration to the q-tip, while bruising will not. 

Helpful info, my wife will feel reassured!

#52 norcolapalco

norcolapalco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:04 AM

Ok friends thanks so much for helping me get this far.  This cake has been producing for about 3 weeks, it's

slowed down but hanging in there. Green-ish / gray-ish tint now appearing...... What's this tint all about?

Safe to continue harvesting?

green cake

#53 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,286 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:15 AM

Use a qtip to rub the discoloration. If it transfers to the qtip, toss it. If nothing transfers, it is bruising and needs a dunk.

#54 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 417 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

Exactly what Onediadem wrote. Honestly, the q-tip thing needs to be tried any time you have a question. Transfer onto the q-tip is absolutely a sign of contamination and should be thrown out. Honestly, many people throw out, or move to an outdoor grow, any cakes that have produced a few flushes. Although I'm still harvesting from some old cakes, they are only yielding one or two mushrooms at a time now, and as I need space, I put the older ones outside to free range. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!