• coorsmikey, August West and Juthro like this

#42 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:42 AM

Thanks a lot Roc.

It's just the way things go. I believe that most of the children want to make more $$ than a farm produces. It's not a big profit job, yet a very rewarding one. To me at least. My brothers left dad and I years ago, so it's been me and him. He's now 84 and showing it, and my brothers just want to sell out and take their cash. I have to let it go since to take a loan that big with kids at home from 2.5 years old to 12 would be seriously stupid.

But we have to move on and live the life we're here to live. No matter what, having fun and being sure to enjoy every moment we can. 

YES!!!!! Bacon grease and butter CAN save the world.............

with some duct tape and bailing twine LMAO

• roc, Juthro and ElPirana like this

#43 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,315 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:23 AM

Just thinking about oils again for the moment; flax seed oil is one of the very best sources of omega 3 (but only when freshly pressed -- best to get it by eating the seeds), but after being boiled it's called, "linseed oil," and is then a high quality wood preservative, and quite poisonous. 

• crazy1 and Thirdeyeplants like this

#44 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2019 - 01:20 PM

Just thinking about oils again for the moment; flax seed oil is one of the very best sources of omega 3 (but only when freshly pressed -- best to get it by eating the seeds), but after being boiled it's called, "linseed oil," and is then a high quality wood preservative, and quite poisonous. 

My limited understanding of boiled linseed oil is that it's the additives (dryers, and thinners to make it dry faster) that are poisonous.    Raw linseed oil (same thing as flaxseed oil, just not certified for food use)  is also used for protecting wood, but takes a lot longer to dry.

#45 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,315 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:20 PM

My limited understanding of boiled linseed oil is that it's the additives (dryers, and thinners to make it dry faster) that are poisonous.    Raw linseed oil (same thing as flaxseed oil, just not certified for food use)  is also used for protecting wood, but takes a lot longer to dry.

I have been duly schooled.  It seems that boiled linseed oil contains lead or other metals which act as a catalyst to aid hardening (polymerization) by oxidization.

• crazy1 and Juthro like this

#46 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:52 PM

I have been duly schooled.  It seems that boiled linseed oil contains lead or other metals which act as a catalyst to aid hardening (polymerization) by oxidization.

My grandmother was an oil painter, and if I remember correctly it was a lead based additive that she added to her paint that was a catalyst to help the drying and hardening of her paints.  I think it's the same, or a similar chemical that is used in boiled linseed oil.

Those additives are also the reason that any rags with boiled linseed oil, or oil painters drop cloths and rags are very prone to spontaneous combustion.  Raw linseed oil still has some risks for spontaneous combustion, but not nearly on the level of the boiled stuff.

[Direct Link]

(it's a horrible vid, but I was lazy looking for an example, and it does show the danger of oils mixed with dryers.)

Also it is my favorite finish for tool handles, like wheel barrels, or shovels, pitch forks,  and other pole handled implements.

Edited by Juthro, 20 July 2019 - 02:18 AM.

• crazy1 likes this

#47 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:21 AM

Thanks a lot Roc.

It's just the way things go. I believe that most of the children want to make more $$ than a farm produces. It's not a big profit job, yet a very rewarding one. To me at least. My brothers left dad and I years ago, so it's been me and him. He's now 84 and showing it, and my brothers just want to sell out and take their cash. I have to let it go since to take a loan that big with kids at home from 2.5 years old to 12 would be seriously stupid.

But we have to move on and live the life we're here to live. No matter what, having fun and being sure to enjoy every moment we can. 

YES!!!!! Bacon grease and butter CAN save the world.............

with some duct tape and bailing twine LMAO

It may be to late but would they consider leasing the land with a steady income off of it to allow it to be kept in the family longer?

My grandparents had 11 kids and they kept the land for another 20 years by leasing it out and 2 of the brothers leased the homestead portion and allowed them to stay on the farm. The biggest portion was leased by neighbors. The value of the land 20 years later was 3 fold when they started selling it off.

It's not uncommon to have family that just wants to cash out and walk away. Pretty sad!

• crazy1 likes this

#48 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:25 AM

Linseed oil thinned with a touch of diesel makes for an awesome concrete sealer.

Has to be repeated every couple of years but is a lot more earth friendly compared to the alternatives.

• crazy1 likes this

#49 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,315 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:49 AM

Anyway, back to frying your food in oils of any kind; the more of it you eat, the greater the health risk.  So, because you like the taste of it, you pay your money for it for the time being, and you pay in life expectancy in the long term.   But then, people smoke cigarettes too.  Do you want fries with that?

• crazy1 likes this

#50 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:45 AM

Alder, you're spot on there my friend. But I still think the flying spaghetti monster and bacon can save the world! LOL

Roc, the greed in some people is too strong to fight. I'm ok knowing I kept dad's farm going until he couldn't enjoy it anymore. 

I can accept that this part of my path has taught me so many things and it's time to let go when I have to. Take those lessons and move on.

• roc likes this

#51 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,315 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:54 AM

It is true that with proper post surgery care, taking the bacon will not necessarily kill the pig, which while extensively scarred, could go on to live a long and fulfilling life.   Of course, having enjoyed the bacon, securing the forgiveness of Flying Spaghetti Monster will be our part in it all.  I guess that's the way the whole durned human comedy keeps perpetuatin' itself down through the generations. Westward the wagons, across the sands of time until we - ah, look at me. I'm ramblin' again.

gallery_131808_1351_6746.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 22 July 2019 - 09:20 AM.

• roc and crazy1 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!