#21 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:48 PM

Direct link

Arctic wildfires emitted as much CO2 in June as Sweden does in a year

Wildfires this year have been at an unusual intensity despite being common in the northern hemisphere between May and October

Reuters in Geneva

Fri 12 Jul 2019 10.32 EDT
Last modified on Fri 12 Jul 2019 13.57 EDT

Smoke rises from a wildfire on 3 July 2019 south of Talkeetna, Alaska.

Arctic wildfires, some the size of 100,000 football pitches, emitted as much carbon dioxide (CO2) last month as the country of Sweden does in a whole year, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said on Friday.

“Since the start of June we’ve seen unprecedented wildfires in the Arctic region,” a WMO spokeswoman, Clare Nullis, told a regular UN briefing in Geneva.

“In June alone these wildfires emitted 50 megatonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere, this is the equivalent of Sweden’s annual total CO2 emissions. This is more than was released by Arctic fires in the same month between 2010 and 2018 combined.”

Wildfires are common in the northern hemisphere between May and October, but this year the fires have been at an unusual latitude and intensity, she said.

Most have been in the US state of Alaska and the Russian region of Siberia, but one fire in Alberta was estimated to be bigger than 300,000 football pitches, or about the size of Luxembourg.

Alaska had experienced more than 400 wildfires so far this year, with new ones igniting every day.

Siberia was almost 10C higher in June than the long-term average, while Alaska had its second-warmest June on record, and on 4 July the mercury hit 32C (80F).

“This is not Alaska type of weather,” Nullis said.

The wildfires help to amplify global warming by coating the reflective white snow in a layer of black soot that absorbs sunlight, while also increasing the risk that the permafrost layer could thaw and release methane into the atmosphere.

They also create harmful smoke that can travel a long way.

The Alaskan city of Fairbanks has been hit by some of the world’s worst air pollution this month, forcing residents indoors and prompting one hospital to set up a “clean air shelter”.

#22 MiltonWadams

MiltonWadams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:26 AM

While I think we as individuals can, and should do what we can to lessen our impact, or footprint, it seems almost meaningless when you look at some of the big consumers of resources.

The air force is flying a handful of C-17's in our area for training, and certification of crew and equipment.   I understand the need to have these planes available, and that their crews need to be well trained.  But when I did the math I found that one C-17 flown for 4 hours will burn more fuel then my subaru will over 300K miles.

I'm not saying that the air force should trade in its jets for honda's and subaru's, but I admit that it leaves me feeling a little silly about trying to consolidate my trips into town to save 100 miles a month.

How many more cars are there than C-17's though? If everybody driving was mindful, as you seem to be, a big impact can be made.

• Juthro likes this

#23 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,418 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:30 AM

Statista.com estimates that commercial airlines will consume 97 billion gallons of aviation fuel in 2019.

#24 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,418 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

Just heard that Alaska's sea ice is gone for the season, and that this is the earliest in the year that this has ever occurred. 

#25 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,455 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:34 PM

We've had the last three days in a row @ 90+ weather here.   

Today will be no better, we are already at 81, and its climbing fast.  (@10:30 am local time).

Our average high temp for this time of year is 62, with a rare day reaching into the low 70's ever few years or so.

Edited by Juthro, 11 August 2019 - 01:34 PM.

#26 MiltonWadams

MiltonWadams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:15 PM

Statista.com estimates that commercial airlines will consume 97 billion gallons of aviation fuel in 2019.

In the US only, 143 Billion gallons are consumed a year on gasoline alone. This does not include diesel, aviation fuel, or heating oil:

https://www.eia.gov/....php?id=23&t=10

The aviation industry is a big polluter, certainly, but it's far from the worst.

• Juthro likes this

#27 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,418 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:28 PM

The US military is the largest institutional consumer of oil in the world. Every year, our armed forces consume more than 100 million barrels of oil to power ships, vehicles, aircraft, and ground operations—enough for over 4 million trips around the Earth, assuming 25 mpg.

This, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists.

• Juthro likes this

#28 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,185 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

Finding humans as the cause of climate change is like finding eggs in your cake.  Sure... it's there, but how are you going to separate it?

I don't blame myself or people in general for what's happening to our planet.  We have been manipulated into participation of schemes larger than most of us understand.  At the simplest level, it's corporations doing whatever they can get away with for a buck.  Example:  Rockefeller funding the prohibition movement to prevent farmers from getting into the habit of producing ethanol from agricultural waste, which would compete with his industry of selling oil for the purpose of fuel for internal combustion engines.

And the paper industry banning hemp products,

And possibly the actions of J. P. Morgan stonewalling Nicola Tesla's technology which might have given practically limitless free energy to humanity, without burning hydrocarbons.

But the fact remains that large organizations with disproportionate/undemocratic power work for their own agendas, often contrary to the health/well-being of mankind.

We need to understand that each of us is like a cell in a larger organism.  We can also become infected with parasites - parasites that feed on mass movements such as warfare, division, exploitation, etc.

So what we have been left with for the past 75 years or so is limited choice as consumers.  Blame the people all you want, but in reality it's the big businessmen and politicians which have worked to line their pockets and kick the can down the road for the rest of humanity to die from, or fix.

This is what economists call an "externality."  Except in the case of climate change, if it damns us all, will be quite "internal" for them as well.

Let no your energy be harvested for evil.

#29 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,455 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:20 PM

IMHO, now is not the time to lay blame, or to cry over spilt milk, but it's not the time to put our heads in the sand and ignore what we see with our own eyes either.

Climate change is clearly here to see, and since Greenland isn't for sale, maybe we should put some effort into doing what we can to protect our combined existence. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!