• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:17 AM

I am about a year in to caring for two peyote gifted to me from a freind overseas. I originally thought about propagating and harvesting yotes. Through caring for them and researching them I have decided that cultivating these amazing cacti is as much or more therapeutic than eating them. So my goals have changed, I am no longer interested in growing them in bulk quickly, my aim is to create a mature "garden" that can for the most part be left to its own devices. I think the space I have should allow for quite a few little guys to grow comfortably. I have an 18×18×36 terrarium with endless adaptability for temp/humidity/light. I currently have a texensis, and a cuatrocienega. I will admit I have a personal relationship with each of them. I dream of one day seeing a flower on a mature caespitosa that I have raised. I have also grown quite fond of the jourdania as well. My current goal is to set up a desert garden that can be passed down to my children. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Varieties, substrate, heat, lighting (I am limited to grow lights, not enough natural light in the house). I could also use some advice on sourcing the little buttons or seeds. Cost is a slight factor, but time, patience, endless research, and getting my hands dirty are not...
  • roc, Skywatcher, Boebs and 1 other like this

#2 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

Just grow them in a window sill, mine have plenty of flowers and hundreds of seeds for this cycle have been produced25b6a06dfba98b0ed99d13f5de292a93.jpg

Edited by DocOct, 06 August 2019 - 07:27 PM.

• Coopdog, Skywatcher, Juthro and 2 others like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,950 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:43 PM

I see a nice assortment of ages and varieties Doc. They obviously are pretty happy in that window. Which direction does it face?

I am fortunate in that I can grow mine outside all year, but yours look just as healthy.

I really like the 5 in the pot on the left center...............................

• Coopdog likes this

#4 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:00 AM

That garden brings tears to my eyes, ive had these two little guys for 2 years or so, and occasionally catch a glimpse of one or the other looking really healthy, but for the most part it has been a struggle... Could it possibly be that they are not fans of some of their succulent neighbors?
I am very well aware that they are no fan of their feline neighbors, but the cats seem to know which plants are worth the shame to uproot... My yotes have each been scratched, one uprooted (survived...for now) and I have found 2 clean scratches about an 1/8 inch deep (claw-depth?) On my pachanoi, but the cats are having a blast...

Edited by Thirdeyeplants, 07 August 2019 - 07:04 AM.

• Coopdog likes this

#5 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:23 AM

Always somthing to mess these guys up.. i had a wild rabit take a few bites out of a few outdoor grown ones...
About enough to piss anyone off..
  • Coopdog likes this

#6 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:17 PM

I see a nice assortment of ages and varieties Doc. They obviously are pretty happy in that window. Which direction does it face?
I am fortunate in that I can grow mine outside all year, but yours look just as healthy.

I really like the 5 in the pot on the left center...............................

i have them in a south facing window, they seem to really like the array of lighting it gets to them
  • Skywatcher likes this

#7 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

That garden brings tears to my eyes, ive had these two little guys for 2 years or so, and occasionally catch a glimpse of one or the other looking really healthy, but for the most part it has been a struggle... Could it possibly be that they are not fans of some of their succulent neighbors?
I am very well aware that they are no fan of their feline neighbors, but the cats seem to know which plants are worth the shame to uproot... My yotes have each been scratched, one uprooted (survived...for now) and I have found 2 clean scratches about an 1/8 inch deep (claw-depth?) On my pachanoi, but the cats are having a blast...

the more plants the peyote is around the better it will grow (due to it being put in a competitive state), that’s why I rarely put one in a pot alone. However succulents will attract mites and pest first so use them as a canary and in a coal mine, but keep them at a reasonable distance.

I would suggest you put your two fellas in a pot together in a high drainage, high aeration, high mineral(lots of high grit sand and minerals like lava rock and pumice) soil mix with earthworm casting, dolomite lime, and bone meal added conservatively as fertilizer.

If you do this I’m sure you can find a solid place for the singular medium-small sized pot with plenty of light.

Treat them like any normal beloved houseplant, and don’t for get to neglect them regularly.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#8 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:15 PM

And here is a better picture of the one I believe you are referring to skywatcher52b9569a5aa26db7e71dcc64517c0e14.jpg

Three Texans and three decips
  • Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#9 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,950 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

Those Texans are beautiful.

I have not had a specimen of Decepiens at any time. I was surprised at how un-distinguishable they are from the true peyotes. More validation of the need for seeing the flowers to be positive on your ID.

At this stage of my life I am enjoying the company, and the variations of my cactus, and not really interested in eating them. I do however like to see the genetics in seeds and cuttings get spread around....................................

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, Juthro and 2 others like this

#10 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:35 PM

Those Texans are beautiful.
I have not had a specimen of Decepiens at any time. I was surprised at how un-distinguishable they are from the true peyotes. More validation of the need for seeing the flowers to be positive on your ID.
At this stage of my life I am enjoying the company, and the variations of my cactus, and not really interested in eating them. I do however like to see the genetics in seeds and cuttings get spread around....................................

im in the same boat, I’ve never done mescaline and if I was going too would most certainly use San Pedro. I grow these beauties for seeds, my collection is always growing and I spend a lot of time tending to these fellas.

Texana and decepiens are noticeably different when they get older but are hard to tell apart in early maturity, dark pink flower is dead giveaway for decepiens

#11 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,950 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

im in the same boat, I’ve never done mescaline and if I was going too would most certainly use San Pedro. I grow these beauties for seeds, my collection is always growing and I spend a lot of time tending to these fellas.

Texana and decepiens are noticeably different when they get older but are hard to tell apart in early maturity, dark pink flower is dead giveaway for decepiens

The magenta flowers like jourdaniana, are impressive (IMHO). Do share some picks when one of those deciepiens flowers....

I have taken quite a few spirit walks in my life. Mostly with the Pedro and Torch, and sometimes combos.

Early in my life path, I was introduced to the Peyote through the Peyote Way Church, which were my only journeys with Peyote only. Very intense life changing experiences.

I adopted the well prepared and respectful mindset of the " Spirit Walk"  from that point on when I shared flesh with the cactus.

I now get a kind of contact connection with my cactus and enjoy the vibe with them. I don't grow them now for consumption, but if they were to call to me, I would not rule out ever partaking again...............

Sorry to drift off subject......................

• Coopdog likes this

#12 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:30 AM

This seems like a common path for those with yote gardens, they call to you with their ancient wisdom and suck you in with their emotional connection tending to them. I am also more apt to consume pedro and torch, and hold peyote in high spiritual regards with the utmost respect, but when the universe speaks, you must listen to her... I would relly miss our conversations and connection if anything were to happen to these guys though...

#13 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:55 AM

I love that garden man and much respect for your reverent regard of them. I have San PEdro, Bridgessii (1) and a special Peruvian Torch that my friend said assays very well compared to most. I have not indulged in any of it yet, but it is getting plenty big enough to do so, and it has been on my mind. I agree and very much appreciate the personal relationship you get with these very sentient beings. I gifted one of my Bridgessii's to  friend a couple of years ago, and I swear, all the rest of them were very much disapproving that I just gave away a family member. I swear they were indignant and angry with me for a while. From now on I will ask their permission for a cutting and wait for one to develop that I can share. I consider every single cutting I give to anyone to be a spirit gift, whether I tell them they are magic or not. Some I don't. Nobody will know what a special guest they are taking care of, and if someday a conversation comes about which makes me think that the information might be appreciated, I will fill them in. 

This happened as an older female friend of mine really liked the pictures on my FB page of them, and asked if she could possibly get a cutting. Of course I gave her one, but we worked together so I told her I had no idea what kind of cactus they were, but that they were beautiful and grow very fast. She took one and it thrived in her care. She retired last year, and said she wished she had some special way to commemorate her moving from working to retirement, and due to a few past conversations, I told her what she had, and that she could indeed have a special night should she want to. She lit up like a Christmas tree when I told her about it and was amazed that I never told her before then. She said she would save it for a very special weekend and was very appreciative all over again, as it has grown into a beautiful healthy specimen for her. 

I'm not sure I would want to sacrifice such a slow growing entity like a peyote for my own needs either. San Pedro has given me amazing and beautiful experiences and much better than even Bridgessii for the beauty of the experience. I find I very much love San Pedro if I feel the need to take a Spirit Walk as Skywatcher so perceptively named it. It's been a few years now, and I have not been up to tripping on anything for a while. One of these days I may go again, but I have to get my mind right before I do. Not been dealing with the soul poison the world keeps heaping on me lately very well and I would not want to go into it anything short of grateful and thankful. Huge respect for the beautiful garden you have. I have yet to acquire any Peyotes, because they are illegal for me, whereas the others are not. 

Peace...

• Skywatcher likes this

#14 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

Sustainable seems to be a bit of a misnomer in home peyote culture. I've rarely met a grower that actually eats their peyote, they just fall in love and stare at their buttons while eating san pedro chips, and I am not an exception :wink: 

When I started growing cacti, after a few clumsy attempts at usage, I vowed to grow without consumption until I was unequivocally at a sustainable level. Now I have more mescaline than I can consume, all from Trichocereus. The peyotes are still happily safe in their little community, just basking in the sun.

Of course, I'm not discouraging anyone from starting a collection. Its worth the effort to just be able to sit there staring at them thinking 'Peyote, PEYyyyOTEeee!' :tongue:

• Skywatcher likes this

#15 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:11 PM

I guess I should have clarified what I meant. I didnt really mean sustainable for harvest, I more so meant a mature and resilient garden with minimal human input. I would like to be responsible for watering, the occasional tea and nutes, but do not like the idea of uprooting and "maintaining" I would like to provide them with a healthy and nurturing forever home and let these ancient ones rest. My end goal is 20 years out or more. I was lured in to growing them thinking i would harvest them, but then I fell in love and found a respect for them. I may never harvest my own or even consume peyote, I also have plenty of pedro and torch, but that wont stop me from having a little mescalito on every surface I can get them to grow...
  • Skywatcher likes this

#16 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:12 AM

I like to grow them because they got nice heads of hair, my goal is to force breed longer hairs until I can comb and style like some kind of small docile creature.

I will be accelerating this process with grafting and mass seedling production, I want the biggest head of hair ever on these guys. A head of hair that would make Dave mustain jealous.

The end goal is increased areola numbers and an overall increase in hair production and length.

This is a story for another day though
  • Skywatcher likes this

#17 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:18 AM

Have you thought about just buying a troll doll? Or maybe something like this...77e7453e71afb49161652a75248fa7aa.jpg

#18 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:26 PM

just recently started to live with yotes, got one seedling grafted onto 2 pereskiopsis root stocks, recently started to show growth. plan is eventually gonna degraft and hard grow them. in meantime hope to have them produce seeds, and pups

#19 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:24 AM

Have you thought about just buying a troll doll? Or maybe something like this...77e7453e71afb49161652a75248fa7aa.jpg

that just seems like the easy way out here, no... I’m in it for the long haul

#20 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

I guess you passed the test then...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!