7 replies to this topic

#1 serjrosen

serjrosen

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:59 PM

Hello everyone ,

I am fairly new to the world of mycology. I am very excited to be part of this huge community and looking forwarding to learning a great deal from the pros here at Topia ! stumbled across a shroom today that is sometimes used in cooking recipes and I was curious to know which tek I could use to try to grow it. I'm attaching pics and I believe it to be a Psathyrella specie and I don't see much about them as far a cultivation is concerned. I haven't made my first attempt yet :unsure: but I have everything ready to start a culture using Sabouraud Dextrose Agar. So my question to the experts : Can a beginner pull it off with that specific shroom ?

Thanks 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190710_163243.jpg
  • 20190710_215806.jpg
  • 20190710_215950.jpg
  • 20190710_215810.jpg
  • 20190710_220014.jpg

• Coopdog likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,639 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:47 AM

Being new really has nothing to do with one's ability to "follow the recipe". It's a function of self-discipline and finding the right instruction.

Welcome to Mycotopia. I'm sure you'll likely be able to cultivate that fungus so long as you're diligent.

A solid, proper identification would be your first step.

This will lead you to identifying its preferred substrate.

• serjrosen likes this

#3 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:00 PM

Welcome to 'Topia!

• serjrosen likes this

#4 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:38 PM

I'd agree it looks like Psathyrella sp. but not sure which exactly. As far as I've read Psathyrella genus has plenty of inedible members and even poisonous ones. I really wouldn't go eating that without a 100% ID to species and checking edibility of species. Welcome to 'topia.

#5 serjrosen

serjrosen

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:38 PM

Being new really has nothing to do with one's ability to "follow the recipe". It's a function of self-discipline and finding the right instruction.

Welcome to Mycotopia. I'm sure you'll likely be able to cultivate that fungus so long as you're diligent.

A solid, proper identification would be your first step.

This will lead you to identifying its preferred substrate.

Thanks !!! trying to learn as much as I can before I start. I will try to have that specimen properly identified as suggested. I will  keep you posted.  :thumbs_up:

#6 serjrosen

serjrosen

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:48 PM

I'd agree it looks like Psathyrella sp. but not sure which exactly. As far as I've read Psathyrella genus has plenty of inedible members and even poisonous ones. I really wouldn't go eating that without a 100% ID to species and checking edibility of species. Welcome to 'topia.

Thanks !!! I agree on getting the specimen IDed . is there a forum when I can get help with this ?

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,639 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:50 PM

I moved this over to Edibles, Medicinal, and Other mushrooms for more views and relevant commentary.

Personally, I am most excited by folks who attempt to cultivate fungi which are not readily identifiable as "consume-able" in some way, form, or fashion. I've done several cultures just for the heck of it and it is exciting to see someone who shares the fervor.

Fungi teach us about microbes. Microbes teach us that they rule everything - no matter how insignificant. There is no sentient being without the product of the microbe.

• coorsmikey, Boebs, mrmushroomwolf and 1 other like this

#8 serjrosen

serjrosen

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:34 PM

Thanks Myc ! I will try to find help on identifying it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!