26 replies to this topic

#1 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 385 posts

Donator

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:25 PM

Show us your scores, where did you find a pot of gold for nothing at?
I totally scored with this kick ass 16qt. pressure canner for a mere 25 bucks.
FUCK OFF.......????!!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!  FOR REAL!!!!!!
Fuck yeah........rich people are so stupid.
IMG_20190713_141632.jpg

• roc, Juthro, bezevo and 2 others like this

#2 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

cool what brand is that ? have you done a test run ?

i bought my two vintage AA PC's  at thrift stores a 15 qrt and a 18 qrt

GODE SCORE

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,478 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:15 PM

Nice find, Baphom :)

• Baphom3t likes this

#4 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 385 posts

Donator

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:49 AM

cool what brand is that ? have you done a test run ?

i bought my two vintage AA PC's  at thrift stores a 15 qrt and a 18 qrt

GODE SCORE

I believe it is a presto but I could be wrong, it was bought at a rummage sale. I plan on doing a clean test run to make sure the seal is proper today after I get off work, hopefully everything is good and I can start canning and doing grains. :smile:

Edited by Baphom3t, 14 July 2019 - 07:50 AM.

• Juthro and Boebs like this

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,447 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:54 AM

It does look like a Presto.  Presto made some PCs for Sears too.

• Baphom3t likes this

#6 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:28 AM

I suggest that you look up the manual on that PC and read it.  The main thing that surprised me with the Presto is that they have a heating limitation of 12,000 BTU.  So if your stove can crank out 25,000 BTU it will warp the bottom of the Presto PC.  Otherwise the Presto PC works just fine.

• Baphom3t and bezevo like this

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:36 PM

yes   get the Manual on line as TheCan said .it should be available   as a PDF  down load also brands like Presto and  AA sell all the replacement parts at reasonable prices if you have faulty Gage or need a gasket ect

you can also buy test strips or test vials that tell you if its reaching correct temp at 15 PSI

Good luck be careful

BEZ

#8 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,336 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:12 PM

Here's the manual.

Attached File  01755.pdf   1.1MB   9 downloads

• Baphom3t, Juthro, bezevo and 1 other like this

#9 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 385 posts

Donator

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the heads up bezevo, but I use a electric stove top so I'm not to worried about warping the bottom I just get the pressure where I need it and adjust it accordingly.

Thanks coorsmikey, by the time I saw that I already downloaded the manual but it's definitely handy for whoever may need it.
I did a test run and all works well with it, I'll be doing some canning and grain runs before to much longer. Bout time to get back in the swing of things. :happy:

Edited by Baphom3t, 16 July 2019 - 11:30 AM.

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,447 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:26 PM

I have seen what aluminum clad pot bottoms do when boiled dry on both gas and electric, and it's the electric stovetops that melt into the aluminum.

On edit: After searching, 20,000 BTU is the highest I could find for a gas burner.  I calculated the BTU from watts on an electric burner at the highest watts to be only about 8,500 BTU. 

So, it does look like gas can create more BTU total from a burner, but I have to think that for a point in contact with a pot, pan, or PC, the electric heat of an electric burner element is higher, and this is in direct contact with the pot, where the gas flame is mitigated by greater heat dispersion.   But, I may be wrong about that.  I have seen gas warp a pot bottom, but never seen it melt one.

Edited by Alder Logs, 16 July 2019 - 12:53 PM.

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,313 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:44 PM

They definitely warp... That is no lie... The presto caners are relatively cheap so I typically just deal with a little warpage and then replace...

• coorsmikey likes this

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,447 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:58 PM

I have had lots of Presto PCs, and never warped one yet.  These were all stainless steel, except my bigger Presto canners, which are aluminum.  But also, I have never boiled one dry.   I don't think either stainless or aluminum will handle being boiled dry for long without warping.

• Thacan likes this

#13 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,478 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:54 PM

I think most of warning about BTU limits come into play when people try to use an outdoor, turkey fryer type, gas burner, some of the larger ones go upto 200,000 BTU.

If you push huge amounts of BTUs into the pot faster then it can transfer them to its contents, then your going to warp or melt your pot.

• Baphom3t, Alder Logs and Thacan like this

#14 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:48 PM

I think most of warning about BTU limits come into play when people try to use an outdoor, turkey fryer type, gas burner, some of the larger ones go upto 200,000 BTU.

If you push huge amounts of BTUs into the pot faster then it can transfer them to its contents, then your going to warp or melt your pot.

Agreed.  My propane brewing burner would destroy the Presto.  However, I checked the big burner on my (gas) kitchen stove and its rated for 25,000 BTU so when I use my Presto, I just do medium high or a small burner.  It's worth checking.

• Juthro likes this

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,447 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:49 PM

Is that how America became a melting pot?

• Juthro and Thacan like this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,478 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:50 PM

LOL, good one, Alder :)

#17 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,447 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:02 PM

Was the Revolutionary War measured in British Thermal Units?

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,478 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:30 PM

Was the Revolutionary War measured in British Thermal Units?

I don't know, but I think it was in the war of 1812 :)

Attached Thumbnails

• whburn.jpg

#19 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,087 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:37 PM

I have had lots of Presto PCs, and never warped one yet.  These were all stainless steel, except my bigger Presto canners, which are aluminum.  But also, I have never boiled one dry.   I don't think either stainless or aluminum will handle being boiled dry for long without warping.

If I recall correctly, an aluminum cooker that's been run dry could be dangerous as the aluminum may have been made very brittle depending on how long it was heated while dry.

I did some searching for more concrete info about that but couldn't find any, so this may not be as much of a concern as it seems like it should be (but better safe than sorry... and peppered with aluminum shrapnel).

• Juthro likes this

#20 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,313 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the heads up bezevo, but I use a electric stove top so I'm not to worried about warping the bottom I just get the pressure where I need it and adjust it accordingly.

Thanks coorsmikey, by the time I saw that I already downloaded the manual but it's definitely handy for whoever may need it.
I did a test run and all works well with it, I'll be doing some canning and grain runs before to much longer. Bout time to get back in the swing of things. :happy:

I get warping on an electrical stove top if I turn them up all the way.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!