• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TriedNTrue

TriedNTrue

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:46 PM

First off thanks to all of the members. This forum is awesome.

First time growing using PF tek.

My jars are colonizing in a in used deep freezer where I keep temp around 85f.

My half pint jars are done colonizing and I’m waiting on my pint jars to finish.

I had one jar colonize very quick so I took it out to start fruiting. It’s used a test in case I mess up. ;). No luck yet. Still waiting on pins day 4.

Chamber is a tote. Holes drilled. Perlite spread. Light set on timer for 12 on and 12 off. Box Fan set out side of chamber blowing on it. I thought this will give air flow in the chamber thru the little holes.

I still mist and fan just in case.

Now I have 6 more half’s that’s fully white. Just put in freezer over night. No pins as they colonized in complete darkness.

My concern:

I tend to over complicate things at times until I figure it out.

What’s the best way to go about fruiting?????

Everything I read seems to add to or take away from what I need to do.

My plan is to let the jars set in fridge over night. Then set in bedroom while still in jars until they start to pin.

Next I’ll birth and set in chamber to fruit.

I just unplugged my box fan as I think this might have created to much air flow. Which I wanted as I read that grinch first like air flow.

HELP ME dumb this down please.

• MycoAnt81 likes this

#2 MycoAnt81

MycoAnt81

Myco Myco Myco Ant

• Free Member
  • 557 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:53 PM

Depends on your budget and how complex you wanna get. I use an automated system that I built off of a complete store bought kit. It regulates FAE and humidity by itself using a humidity probe and a fog system. I wasn’t spending a lot of time at home so the automated system worked well. If you are able to s(mother) your grow, you can make a shotgun fruiting chamber, search through mycotopia, you’ll find many different ways to construct one. Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • TriedNTrue likes this

#3 TriedNTrue

TriedNTrue

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:56 PM

Here comes the pics. Lol.

Please check out the pint jar. It looks weird. I think to much water but I don’t know.

Attached Thumbnails

• B9879B8C-0076-402F-9B04-9CCCB954CA65.jpeg
  • 259C62FE-FCBB-4874-86D8-EEF71F8DCF9C.jpeg
  • 01856569-6286-48AF-9F4F-E54992ACA0F2.jpeg
  • 6A2A402E-CF4D-4850-BB97-D04FABC33F86.jpeg
  • 334D0E0E-F7A3-42C8-8156-BE4E7DE133DA.jpeg
  • B5C22D9F-CF80-404C-B44C-0485C6B6044F.jpeg
  • C875C3EA-54FA-47FE-82EC-C1F3F92F08CC.jpeg
  • 4F280D98-67DF-4BDC-A778-E598EFA1179C.jpeg
  • 5C30C9C2-602A-4423-A92C-57A102651E6C.jpeg

• Thacan likes this

#4 TriedNTrue

TriedNTrue

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

Hey guys and gals, 

Just checking in.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone would take a look at the pint jar above to see if theres something going on there. It looks very watery. ;)

Also, Im going to put a fish tank pump in the chamber and stick the hose in water. From what I have read this should make it self efficient. Is this right? 

Days to fruit: 

I see some post that say it takes around 8 days to fruit (start pinning). Is this right?

#5 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:18 AM

First let me say that I am a complete novelist and I typically don’t respond to questions like yours, but I read a lot and I know that waiting for comments (from the pros) when just starting out is hard so I’ll at least share my thoughts.  Some comments on your grow:

• 85 degrees for incubation is on the high end.  Most people that I trust say 70-80 or even 70-75 as the best incubation temperatures.
  • Your jars do look kinda wet, but they tend to get like that while the mycelia grows and spreads in the BRF cake.  They also shrink some.  So as far as I can tell your jars look good.  How do they smell when you put them in the FC?  If it’s mushroomy/earthy, then that’s what you want.  Anything else is suspicious.
  • Your fruiting setup looks good, but I would not run that fan continuously, because it will dry out your FC.  I think most people don’t run fans at all, but if you want to try that just run for a couple of minutes every couple of hours and do it right after misting.  If you want to get fancy put your fan on an intermittent timer and add a humidity controller with a humidifier.
  • Make sure you dunk those cakes for 20 hours or so before going to the fruiting chamber.  DNR - dunk and roll
  • Fruiting time varies a lot depending on strain and conditions, but from what I can tell it takes a couple of weeks to get pins and then another few days to get fruit and that’s providing the pins don’t abort.  Patience is you friend here.
  • Try what you think will work, but most people say to keep it simple.  Perlite alone will keep the chamber at 90% humidity.  Adding the air pump and water provides some constant gas purge and keeps the humidity high.  As you are probably aware the gas purge displaces CO2 that is produced during fruiting.  I haven’t tried it myself, but some people have reported success with that setup.

Looks to me that you are on track for a good grow.

Take Care and good luck

Edited by Thacan, 15 July 2019 - 10:54 AM.

• Misfit and TriedNTrue like this

#6 TriedNTrue

TriedNTrue

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 11:01 AM

Thacan, 

Thanks man. Yea, the unknown kills me. lol. Im just hoping it works out right. 

I just unplugged the fan completely.

Thanks again. 

• Thacan likes this

#7 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 11:21 AM

Thacan, great job! you covered everything quite accurately!

Tried - I second everything that Thacan wrote above. My original fruit chamber, after some trial and error, is what is called a choke chamber. That means that it has no holes in it, moist perlite on the bottom, and it requires manual fanning and misting about 4 times a day. One variant off that which was also successful, was to place an airstone under the perlite, make sure water level was higher than the airstone, and running an aquarium pump through the stone 24-7. I did this while I was away for a long weekend and it worked very well, I came home to a nice flush, although also a mess of spores. I did post that process here if you want to see it. https://mycotopia.ne...unplanned-trip/

• Thacan and TriedNTrue like this

#8 TriedNTrue

TriedNTrue

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:52 AM

Thanks guys for the response. 

So im still reading and I swear there are more contradicting things or steps than ever with growing mushies. 

I need to verify the following: 

Colonization, Once completely white on outside of jar are we ready to dunk and birth? 

Some are saying yes but then others say wait another 5 days to ensure its fully colonized in center

Cold shock> Most are saying its actually slows down the process. If this is so, I might have messed up. I just put about 6 half pints in the fridge after they were completely white. My plan was to bring out tomorrow and set in a room until I see pins then dunk and birth. 

Let me know if I need to do something different with the above, please. 

If I need to keep in the jars and let them colonize more is that an issue? I would think that it would continue to colonize no matter what unless it gets contams. Right? 

#9 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:53 AM

Let them have 3-4 days to make sure they are colonized in the middle.

Forget the whole cold shock thing with cubies.

#10 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:31 AM

I think everyone has their own tweaks to the tek.  I have never seen the cold shock process that you are referring to tho.  

I would dunk and roll before pinning.

roc knows his shit so follow any advice offered...  but you can also experiment if you like.  So if you want to move a couple at full colonization and let others wait a few days, try it and see what happens.  It's part of the fun.  Keep notes so the next time you grow, you'll improve your process each time.

#11 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:20 AM

I would definitely wait, I wait for the first pin before birthing the cake. I've never done that cold shock thing, the only time I put cakes in the refrigerator is when I had to leave town for a while, I stored them in there until I came back home. 

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:48 PM

The wait is mostly to complete internal colonization because cakes usually colonize from the outside in.

Full colonization is the first trigger that switches the myc towards fruiting mode.

I wait for pins.

Cold shock isn't neccesary, but won't hurt anything. Some mushrooms like a temperature drop as a pinning trigger. No real evidence that it applies as a neccesary trigger for cubensis.

#13 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:53 PM

The wait is mostly to complete internal colonization because cakes usually colonize from the outside in.

Full colonization is the first trigger that switches the myc towards fruiting mode.

I wait for pins.

Cold shock isn't neccesary, but won't hurt anything. Some mushrooms like a temperature drop as a pinning trigger. No real evidence that it applies as a neccesary trigger for cubensis.

I had read about pinning in the jar as you mentioned, but I have never found pictures that show what it looks like.  If you could link one that would be much appreciated.

#14 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:22 PM

Here's one. Don't really have to wait that long though.

#15 mrmushroomwolf

mrmushroomwolf

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:55 PM

Can I add a question to this thread? Not sure the rules on hijacking here but I'm on my second BRF attempt and had a lot of the same questions as OP.

My question is if you should treat the cakes differently after the DnR before they pen. Specificily, I mad a FC with 1.5 inch holes and fish filter material using a TEK I found on another sight. Now I'm wondering if pinning will be slowed by too much FAE. Does maybe I'm just underestimating how long it takes for pens to start.

(If this is not ok to ask here let me know and I'll remove and start my own thread)

Keep being awesome!

#16 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:33 AM

I wait for pins.

I had read about pinning in the jar as you mentioned, but I have never found pictures that show what it looks like. If you could link one that would be much appreciated.
These were my jars as of last week. I was gone all weekend so they went in the fridge(still in jars with micropore tape over the holes) they got a 24 HR dunk and roll and went into the FC this morning.1d461d01eb9f6258e954d517b6b21584.jpg6e9bcd0d60be7e0fa8a4b04705c45657.jpgd44d93daa7b3b5f249d12c8ddd4e0db5.jpg071abd4474277b5042d0c8745dde14b2.jpg
  • Thacan likes this

#17 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:00 AM

Looks good. Did you pick off the pins before dunking? I've done it both ways before. If the pins survive dunk and roll, then you get a few shrooms quickly, but I believe it decreases the number of shrooms in the first flush.

#18 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:25 PM

I did not scrape the pins, they all looked pretty stressed out after the dunk, but 24 hrs later they have returned to a normal color and look very healthy.

#19 TriedNTrue

TriedNTrue

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the info guys it’s helping a ton.

I’m still waiting on pins. They just keep getting whiter and whiter. This waiting game sucks. Patients is not my Virtue.

#20 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the info guys it’s helping a ton.

I’m still waiting on pins. They just keep getting whiter and whiter. This waiting game sucks. Patients is not my Virtue.

You'll learn it quick. It get's much easier after you get a successful flush dried.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!