• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 slownstedy

slownstedy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:53 PM

Pretty straight forward - I finally am getting around to trying to grow my own. I bought the Simple Kit from Midwest Grow Kits with a graphite heat mat. Basically I am not anticipating growing too much so I got lazy and went that route. I also got "Maui Platinum" spores from Premiumspores, but after investigating post-purchase the strain looks pretty much made up and the price was not great but hey, live and learn. Regardless, hopefully this will serve as useful info for anyone else that gives Maui Platinum a try. 

I did the open oven method of inoculation just under a week ago on 6 jars and am pretty much following their grow guide to the T as much as I'm able (hence the foil loosely on top of the jars below). All of the jars are being stored in a small plastic tub in my closet between 75 - 82 degrees, so far I have been able to keep the temps extremely consistent.

Things appear to be moving quickly and there is no contamination as far as I can tell in any of my jars. 3 of the 6 seem to be colonizing very quickly, one of them is a little slower, and the other two appear to just be getting started. I did about 1 to 1.5 CCs of solution per jar. The syringe when it arrived had a fat black clump of spores which I was able to break up for a more even inoculation (or so I thought).

Here is some growth from two of the better jars. 

IMG-0879.JPG

IMG-0880.JPG

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,472 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:46 PM

Don't worry about the strain name. Most are made up. Maintain it to track your genetics, but that's about all a strain name does.

Looks good So far. I'd suggest avoiding heat mats. Too hot encourages contaminants. Cool temps and slower growth may encourage potency.

#3 slownstedy

slownstedy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:26 PM

Don't worry about the strain name. Most are made up. Maintain it to track your genetics, but that's about all a strain name does.

Looks good So far. I'd suggest avoiding heat mats. Too hot encourages contaminants. Cool temps and slower growth may encourage potency.

I appreciate the reply, and that doesn't surprise me. I've always wanted to grow Treasure Coasts because I've had a great experience with them in the past - but like you said, who knows if it was or not? It's a mystery.

For the heat mat, it gets relatively cold where I am at night so it's been helpful, but message received there. I was reading before starting that primary contaminant bacteria are more active in the 85s+, but if there is a different ideal temperature range I am definitely going for that. 

Is there any literature to support a lower colonization = enhanced potency? If so that'd be really interesting. Thanks again.

#4 slownstedy

slownstedy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:14 PM

Two weeks in from inoculation, very strong rhizomorphic mycelium growth is apparent! All 6 jars are at least 80% covered on the outer layer, and 3 of them are more like 90-95%. No visible contamination yet thankfully and temps have been steady between 70F - 81F give or take. Hoping to be able to birth these within another 2 to 2.5 weeks approximately. So far so good. This strain was billed as easy to grow and medium yield so we'll see if all the jars make it to the end or not. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-0915.JPG
  • IMG-0914.JPG
  • IMG-0913.JPG

• roc likes this

#5 Nitegazer

Nitegazer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:43 PM

They look great, Slownstedy

I'll be following along, and look forward to seeing your bounty!

#6 slownstedy

slownstedy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

They look great, Slownstedy

I'll be following along, and look forward to seeing your bounty!

Thanks man, much appreciated. A few weeks from now hopefully there will be more to see. 

#7 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:33 PM

Well done!

They are looking healthy and moving along nicely!

#8 slownstedy

slownstedy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

Been a little while but things are going well as far as I can tell, all 6 jars made it to getting birthed/dunked with no contamination. Woo! Not bad. 5/6 seemed fully colonized by day 27, let them sit a few more days and then soaked them for 12 hours. I pulled the last one with the others although I suspect internally it's not 100% of the way there but whatever. 

Got the chamber going, fanning/misting a few times a day going forward. Onward.

I'm already lining up the next attempt to do a monotub with some treasure coast. A friend told me jars are fun but not especially productive and if you want more reliability go spawn bag to tub, so that's what's my next attempt after this.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-0969.JPG
  • IMG-0970.JPG

#9 slownstedy

slownstedy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

Well, hot damn. They've been in the fruiting chamber for exactly 48 hours and I've got some pins growing. Very cool. Humidity has been 99%+ and temperature has been between 70-78. Two of the cakes are showing very quick signs of fruiting, the others are fuzzing over nicely. I did my jar inoculation on July 6th. Seems like "Maui Platinum" or whatever random strain this is supposed to be is a fast colonizer under optimal conditions. 

Hoping these start pumping out some fruits here shortly!

IMG-0972.JPG

IMG-0971.JPG

#10 slownstedy

slownstedy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:38 PM

Got my first two off the cakes, the bigger one was pretty deformed as half the cap did not separate from the stem despite the veil tearing underneath on the other half. Neither are very big but there is a ton of pinning and growth going on so I'd say this first experiment is shaping up to be a success. All cakes now have multiple pins on them and I expect within another week or two the first flushes will be solid. 

2.jpg

IMG-0988 copy.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!