110 replies to this topic

#101 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,207 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:50 PM

NIce attempt, you were persistent, tried variables, and gave it one heckuva shot TK.   Cant do more than that without a lab setup.

Hopefully your future endeavors will be more successful. best of luck. :)

• Traderkain likes this

#102 Traderkain

Traderkain

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

So this is the sub attempt, I did not use agar with this one as you have seen the outcomes when I used the agar. I will try the iodine x distilled water method later when I get the iodine for now I am using another method offered by a different member here. This member said and I quote "contaminants don't like cardboard" so I made these.... Of which they are made up of corrugated Cardboard and Brown shipping paper cut in the shape and boiled for 30 minutes then put into the bottom of plastic containers... I cut up pieces of mushroom and spread them between the layers almost like you would do with an outdoor bed.... I will keep you guys posted as this goes along I'm going to call this one the cardboard attempt! Thanks for staying involved....

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by Traderkain, 15 August 2019 - 01:29 PM.

• Foster likes this

#103 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,737 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:36 PM

The best cardboard for this use is egg-carton ...  "Eggar"

• Traderkain likes this

#104 Traderkain

Traderkain

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

Interesting play on words there, are we talking about the corrugated box the eggs come in like a 5 dozen box or are you talking about the inserts that hold each egg inside the box, or are you talking about the individual dozen eggs carton? Sorry for all the questions but that can be misunderstood if someone doesn't know what we're talking about ....thank you for the definition of "eggar " I won't forget it... I am more than happy to set up a attempt with using whichever one of these items you're referring to...in the meantime what I used was it a recycled piece of the boxes I got from laborator that sent me the agar . I cut rounds out of it to fit the bottom of the bowls and then boiled those along side the circles I cut from the rigid brown paper they use in banana boxes...once they boiled for 30 minutes I pulled the pieces of cardboard heart leaving just the one piece that held onto the corrugated side and left it in like a lasagna constructive cardboard bed with mushrooms spread in between..

#105 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,737 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:06 PM

Common dozen-egg cartons....slate grey colour commonly.

Edited by hyphaenation, 16 August 2019 - 08:06 PM.

#106 Traderkain

Traderkain

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 86 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:59 PM

Can you elaborate a little on the method, or technique of using an egg carton

#107 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,737 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 01:47 PM

Busy at work but here's a link to get you started....

https://mycotopia.ne...e-2#entry706677

https://mycotopia.ne...osa-on-popcorn/

• Traderkain likes this

#108 Traderkain

Traderkain

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 86 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:38 PM

So I I said I wasn't going to attempt another agar try but I've built this flow hood out of parts around my house had to give it a try not sure how well it will work but it was fun to build and test...

I'll put pics of the plates in a few day...
What I did is I cut open the Hawaiian and got under the top of the cap to a more sterile white area and took my sample from there. I also used a sterile swab and swabbed the gills of the underside and cut the tip into agar as well. Both are in Sabdex agar Emmons
The cyanescens I cut open a stem and went after a more sterile the white flesh area inside and took my sample from there. I also did the same as the Hawaiian and using a sterile swab I collected (hopefully spore spores) a sample from the underside of the cap and places both in separate potato x alder wood x agar (PAA) I made...

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Foster likes this

#109 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:04 PM

That’s just blowing dirty air my man. I dig the creativeness but it’s not clean air.
Sorry not trying to rain on your parade but that is the whole point of a flow hood.
  • Traderkain likes this

#110 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 668 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 05:32 PM

The 5.85 " THICK  Hepa Filter on my  Laminar flow box /hood . removes  99.9999.......... %

dirt , dust  bacteria , mold ect .  then you work in the the FlOW of Super Clean air ..

You can build your own HEPA LAMINAR  FLOW Bench  .  First you will need a super duper  hi flow 99.99%  FILTRER !

This will run $200 to $400 just for the  filter , you will need a fan that  blows at least 800 CFM   (cubic feet per min .) to push air threw that  super tight hepa  filter . so you will need a super tight box /plenum behind filter to push air into under high pressure . and a pre-filter for the fan box.

i saw a 24"x24" x 5.85"filter for $200 and  800CFM squirrel fan for $ 200 on amazon last week . you would need a router speed controller and like 3/4" plywood to build two box's  one to house filter and plenum and one to house fan and pre-filtor

Fungi Perfecti  sells her small Seris one Laminar box/fan for about $600 $700 shipped depending on if thers a sale ect . this is  12"x24" .the face of filter .you will still need to ether build a  pre-filter box or as one guy did stuck a vacuum cleaner hepa filtor on side of squirrel fan  intake for a pre-filter ..

its a doable project  but will run about $500  in materials . if your a scrounger 

Edited by bezevo, Yesterday, 05:59 PM.

• Traderkain likes this

#111 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,207 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 07:35 PM

I like your idea of taking the inner tissue and swabbing for spores, But building a flow hood just isn't practical, unless as stated, you want to spend big $.

This is as close as I ever came to true Laminar. It does work, But I've done just as well in a sealed GB and being clean.  This unit has only been out of the box a few times. Still in its original bag.

https://mycotopia.ne...-spec-and-pics/

A $10 GB and a mister bottle of bleach solution will be your ticket if you continue agar attempts.

• Traderkain likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!