• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RedHighHeels

RedHighHeels

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:51 PM

As I read along I notice many abbreviations I do not know. Any suggestions on how to find the whole words for common abbreviations used here would be greatly appreciated. Hard to learn how to do something if I can't understand the language : /

Thanks

• Myc likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,713 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

I'm going to agree with this statement. Since I started in this hobby the acronym parade has gotten pretty out-of-hand.

Egos. Go figure.

Regrettably, we no longer have a glossary of terms.

Maybe just post up a few that have you puzzled and see if we can figure out what they mean.

• Juthro likes this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:23 PM

Like Myc said, the amount of acronyms borders on ridiculous.  Don't be shy about asking when you don't know.   And if it's from an old thread that is mostly inactive, you might find it easier to PM (personal message) a mod, or other member (me included) with your question, and just toss in a link to the thread, and the post that you have a question about.   

Folks here are generally pretty willing to help you through the steep part of the learning curve.

Welcome to the 'topia BTW, and I'm looking forward to seeing you around the site.

Edited by Juthro, 22 July 2019 - 05:24 PM.

• Myc likes this

#4 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:32 PM

As I read along I notice many abbreviations I do not know. Any suggestions on how to find the whole words for common abbreviations used here would be greatly appreciated. Hard to learn how to do something if I can't understand the language : /

Thanks

Lots of good stuff in the archives...

https://mycotopia.ne...s-and-acronyms/

• onediadem, Myc, Juthro and 1 other like this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,713 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:34 PM

Thanks

Now there's a tasty morsel of which I was not aware. Will be working to earmark that thread for future reference!

Thanks Thacan! It takes a village.

• RedHighHeels likes this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:52 PM

I had forgotten about that post, nice one Thacan :)

IIRC, Alder also had a thread about abbreviations, and acronyms at one time as well,  It was more of an ongoing community effort, and as such required more reading to find your answers then post Thacan shared.  That and I don't remember where it was located, lol.

#7 RedHighHeels

RedHighHeels

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:30 PM

Thank you for the welcome and all the links and post. I love to garden and with much reading, practice and help from the pros here im sure ill have success.

• Juthro likes this

#8 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:58 PM

Thanks

Now there's a tasty morsel of which I was not aware. Will be working to earmark that thread for future reference!

Also copied and pinned in Puff, Puff and Pass forum https://mycotopia.ne...s-and-acronyms/

One that was a nice quote you added, I hope you don't mind if I moved it to the link above on Hippie3"s thread.

Edited by coorsmikey, 22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM.

• onediadem likes this

#9 McMitch

McMitch

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:05 PM

What's happening? Just wanted to touch on the abbreviation phenomenon people have become a part of. I think that there's a time and place for them, and in most forums it does nothing but cause confusion. Sometimes I wonder to myself if whoever's using them even knows what half of them mean. Maybe at one time they knew the proper terminology, but maybe now not so much. There's just so many, sheeesh!!! I might be speaking for myself, but anything that I'm studying I really like to at least know what it actually is, not just PC/GTCHR/BFOOT/ Grown off a BRF DOOBLE DOBBLE with SPM added to help with RH, AHHH!!!I mean, if you're on a site like this, I think for the most part a good percentage of people are genuinely enthusiastic about the educational aspect of this craft, and new which I'm assuming they wanna learn proper terminology, and than the abbreviations, nicknames, etc.. And I'm not tight about it by any means, sometimes confusion, or maybe misunderstanding what is being spoke about can be misleading, which can lead to all sorts of craziness.

#10 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM

Thank you for the welcome and all the links and post. I love to garden and with much reading, practice and help from the pros here im sure ill have success.

Welcome to 'Topia!

#11 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:36 PM

Yup! :tongue:

#12 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:39 PM

Thanks

Also copied and pinned in Puff, Puff and Pass forum https://mycotopia.ne...s-and-acronyms/

One that was a nice quote you added, I hope you don't mind if I moved it to the link above on Hippie3"s thread.

I think that thread of hips should be pinned in the grow section. I doubt many newbs can find it by the time they learn it.

#13 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:58 PM

Usually they ask in the Puff forum, move it to where you think is more appropriate, heck copy and pin it in all of them!

#14 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:48 PM

I don't think I can pin anything..

#15 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:51 AM

When i first started reading various tek post many  were completely  .....unintelligible .... to a new member ,due to excessive abbreviations, and acronyms , i made a HELP post asking for help .....decoding..... them and some helpful folks answered my questions and gave me a link to and old glossary that covered some .

i think i have kinda caught on now ha .DOH !

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!