14 replies to this topic

#1 Peeledpotato

Peeledpotato

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:53 PM

Dear Friends,

Firstly, this site has been really helpful. Learning a lot from browsing and reading the posts. This is my first post and I promise there will be no dick jokes or political ramblings  :biggrin:

I bought a growkit from an online retailer. I got the lightest variety "Stropharia Cubensis" or Mexican. The grow is now three weeks old. I was a bit concerned as I saw very little in the way of growth until a couple of days ago. I have followed the instructions as close as I could and I think the grow is going well. 21 days in and I have some really good growth. Loads of little heads coming up (see pics below). I do however have two questions.

1. If you look closely there appears to be white fluff around the base of the mushrooms. I read that this was due to too much CO2. Do the mushrooms need more "airing". I open the plastic bag twice a day for a couple of min, should I leave it open for a while. At this stage could contamination be a problem.
  2. I am now 21 days into the grow and unfortunately I need to travel in a week. I will be out of the house from Sunday to Friday leaving on the Sunday which will be just short of 28 days into the grow. I am not in a position to ask someone to check on them while I am away so am wondering how best I could avoid a disaster. Is there a way I can slow the growth down or should I harvest just before I leave? I have six days till I leave.

Many thanks for reading this post and for all your help. I am growing for a micro-dosing experiment so I don't want to loose the harvest and have to start all over. Apologies if the pics are a bit dodgy I don't want to interfere with the kit too much. Can post new ones if these are not clear enough.

PP.

Attached Thumbnails

• Top.jpg
  • Side1.jpg
  • Side2.jpg

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:50 PM

They actually need to be fanned to remove the co2. Is that a bag type thing I am seeing? Fan and mist, repeat as often as you can.You will be able to pick those before Friday. After you pick them, get to drying them and scrape that sub down, and seal them in whatever and put them back in the fridge until you get back. Once home again, pull them out, dunk them and you will get another flush.

#3 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:34 PM

Welcome to 'Topia!

That's a hell of a nice pin set!

#4 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:45 PM

Yes it is, I'm harvesting some cakes after hearing all of the negative talk about kits, and here this guy is with what looks like the beginning of a BEAUTIFUL canopy!!! Good on you...

#5 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:47 PM

There are quite a few aborts on that block so I wouldn't let it go too many more days.

• Peeledpotato likes this

#6 Peeledpotato

Peeledpotato

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:17 AM

Many thanks for the advice. I am really chuffed with the growth. Will post a pic of the entire bag later today. I read that one shouldn't mist directly on the canopy so have been misting the inside of the bag and have been fanning twice a day. Will fan a little more. In terms of temperature, the kit website suggests that one should drop the temp once the grow begins. I can crank up the ac during the day if this would aid growth. I live close to the equator and its rainy season now so humidity is right up. Am going to aim for a Saturday harvest.

Also. The site suggests that i should turn the "cake" around for the second flush. Would this help?

Many thanks again for the advice and kind words.
PP

#7 Peeledpotato

Peeledpotato

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:41 AM

Here are some additional pics of the bag. I keep it in the brown bag as it is easier to move around. I have a cleaner in during the week and move the bag to a cupboard on cleaning days.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190723_073553.jpg
  • 20190723_073539.jpg
  • 20190723_073519.jpg

#8 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:15 PM

Are those stripes on the bag vents? Regardless, that is a pretty tall bag and you need to get the co2 out of the bag when you fan. When I used to fan bags fan bags, I used a blowdryer set on cool to force a complete air exchange. I am pretty much just on an auto system now.

#9 Peeledpotato

Peeledpotato

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:44 PM

Are those stripes on the bag vents? Regardless, that is a pretty tall bag and you need to get the co2 out of the bag when you fan. When I used to fan bags fan bags, I used a blowdryer set on cool to force a complete air exchange. I am pretty much just on an auto system now.

Yes the white bits are vents i think. Will give it a bigger fan with a book or chopping board. I think the grow needs more oxygen

#10 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:29 PM

Also. The site suggests that i should turn the "cake" around for the second flush. Would this help?

Many thanks again for the advice and kind words.
PP

Are they saying to flip the cake over?
With the clear container you'll probably see pins on the side and bottom but I don't know what to say about flipping it over.

Maybe some others can share their thoughts!

#11 manitoba

manitoba

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:22 PM

Where did you buy your grow kit?

#12 Peeledpotato

Peeledpotato

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:23 AM

Where did you buy your grow kit?

Bought from Tatanka

#13 Peeledpotato

Peeledpotato

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:08 AM

So I waited till the very last moment to harvest. The canopy looked like it could have gone a couple more days but alas it was not to be. I took out all the bigger mushrooms and have stored them in a separate tupperware. The smaller ones and all of the tiny mushrooms are in separate containers. All are in the fridge as per the advice given. Bought some Epsom salts and will start the drying in a week.

Cleaned the cake / growing medium as best i could. Will keep it in the fridge till August and have another go for a second flush.

Pics below.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190728_101438.jpg
  • 20190728_095801.jpg
  • 20190728_103403.jpg
  • 20190728_104138.jpg

#14 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

Again, take my advice with a grain of salt, but:
1) it looks like you could have gone a few more days on the big guys, and as long as the little ones were still growing, it looks like they didnt even get a chance to stretch their legs...
2) if your intent is to dry them, it is my understanding that the sooner/quicker you can get them dry the better. I havr not heard of anyone intentionally waiting a week... I find the dehydrator on its lowest setting is very efficient, then i place them in a desicant chamber to be sure( this may be overkill)...
3) why are you leaving your tray in the fridge for that long? It shouldnt hurt it, but i would think you cpuld just dunk it, and get right to round 2...

#15 Peeledpotato

Peeledpotato

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:11 AM

Many thanks Mycophage.

In short i had to leave my flat for about five days and did not have an option to ask someone to look out for them. I didnt want to leave the grow alone for a week and risk ruining the grow so i harvested early. The cake is back in the fridge to preserve it till i get back to the flat. In retrospect i should have left them to dry this week but that cant be changed. I bought some epsom salts and will start drying Friday evening for a potential microdose on Sunday. As for the tray i am thinking of splitting it in two and keeping one for later and dunking the other. I got good potential in the tray and perhaps more space will encourage faster growth.

Will keep you posted and thanks again for the advice.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!