• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:44 AM

Hello, everyone! I’m growing obligatory PF cakes, they’re going along fine, no sign of contam yet. They are at 50% so far, except for two that are stalling a bit. I’m looking to start a bulk grow in bags. So I’m wondering about the best way of inoculating the spawn.

I could make injection ports with a little silicon and inject my spore syringe in. The one I used for cakes seems clean, but it’s nearly spent. I have another 10cc one made and a spore print in the fridge. As far as I understand, pros are it’s easy to do, can do in open air, con is longer colonisation time. I’m not in a big hurry, but I only have three months to do this hobby.

Other option, I have agar plates going. I could try to do agar 2 grain transfer. Pro – fast colonization. Con – my SAB is not too big and one bag will probably barely fit. I’ll have a hard time doing it fast since I’m pretty clumsy. So maybe more chance for contamination? Or is the syringe more likely to contam?

Feel free to correct me if I got something wrong. I plan to fruit at least 5 bags for the first grow, so maybe I’ll end up trying both to see how it’s going. Maybe some advice could help me to decide how many of each I should try, or just commit to one.

#2 Mr. Griffin

Mr. Griffin

Lets get loaded!!!

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:21 PM

I wouldn't nocc' anything in open air unless it's in front of a flow hood. My advise is to use agar to make sure everything is clean, then do the agar to grains as you mentioned. You also mentioned you only have 3 months to "do" this hobby........you're going to need more time than that if you want to learn and get good results!!! :biggrin:

#3 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:39 AM

I don't plan to stop completely after three months, just take a potentially long break. Agar is still a few days away, did some transfers two days ago, they look ok.

Anyway, I had some extra cake mix left over, but no more glasses, so I put it in two 20ml shot glasses. One fully colonized two days ago. I'm gonna birth it in a day or two, or as soon as I see pinning.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190801_163158.jpg
  • 20190801_163206.jpg

#4 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

3 out if 5 agar transfers ended up contaminated, including the one with the best growth. I transfered from it to two new plates today. I'm just way too clumsy in the sab, I managed to break one plate today by squeezing it too hard, and I keep dropping them. *facepalm*

Anyway, two questions. Transfering agar to grain with a small contam near the edge is a bad idea, right? And I'm seeing contams four days after the transfer, I did the transfers on two separate days and contams appeard right on schedule in both. How long should I wait until I'm sure the plate is clean?

Third question, one contam appeared where I cooled the scalpel. Is the scalpel the culprit? I can't get it red hot, if it doesn't get red hot does that mean it's not been sterilized?

#5 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 01:26 PM

Get a butane torch or an alcohol burner. I personally bought a cigar lighter butane type lighter. That shit gets red hot in 2 seconds.

#6 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:59 PM

Alcohol burner = alcohol lamp, right? That's what I'm already using. Maybe it needs a bigger flame? I'm gonna try with holding it longer in a bigger flame, bit if it doesn't work I'll get a torch.

#7 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:30 PM

I’ve never used one. I just know that people use them. The torch is super fast though. I think I got 2 with a bottle of butane for maybe 9 bucks on the ole amazon.

#8 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:32 PM

Sorry it was 15
Mantello Cyclone Triple Jet Flame Butane Cigarette Cigar Torch Lighter 2-Pack and Colibri Premium Butane Fuel Refill Can 3.04 oz. https://www.amazon.c...i_vTGrDbFCRM8HQ

#9 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:13 AM

I admire your perseverance here. But once a plate is contaminated, it's done. Now IF it was the only plate you had and you transferred to a medicated agar to clean it up that'd be different. But it's about 99.999% you'll keep transferring the contam with your myc. So the grain bag transfer is out of the question. 

No, a scalpel doesn't need to be red hot, but held long enough in the flame to kill off anything there. Now an alcohol lamp is a good tool with 90% or better alcohol. That burns much cleaner. The soot from the flame on the scalpel "could" contam agar, but unlikely. Odds are your working in open air it's just going to happen. 

Peace

#10 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:56 AM

The tutorial

I admire your perseverance here. But once a plate is contaminated, it's done. Now IF it was the only plate you had and you transferred to a medicated agar to clean it up that'd be different. But it's about 99.999% you'll keep transferring the contam with your myc. So the grain bag transfer is out of the question.

Agar tutorials that I read on Shroomery said to keep transfering until it's clean, along with pictures of super contaminated plates and where to transfer from. And why would the transfer be out of the question when I still have healthy plates?

No, a scalpel doesn't need to be red hot, but held long enough in the flame to kill off anything there. Now an alcohol lamp is a good tool with 90% or better alcohol. That burns much cleaner. The soot from the flame on the scalpel "could" contam agar, but unlikely. Odds are your working in open air it's just going to happen.

Peace

But I'm not working in open air, I have a sab!

Edited by NatureIsMagic, 04 August 2019 - 05:57 AM.

#11 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:08 AM

If you have clean plates, then yes go for it! Are you really sure about the 2 of the 5 you say didn't contaminate? Just wondering and pictures do help.

Now you can eventually clean a plate up with very careful selection of your transfers. But you're talking months not weeks.

If you see contams in 4 days then you are most likely tranferring contams more than myc. Once again pictures do help.

And are you totally sure your SAB is clean? Once you start working with contaminated plates, you're into another world.

How much agar work experience do you have?

EDIT: post-11460-138185394577.jpg

This is one of my plates from a while back. Notice the myc, that's healthy and what you want to see/use

Edited by crazy1, 04 August 2019 - 06:17 AM.

• RainbowCatepillar likes this

#12 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:23 AM

I have 10 days agar work experience. :) I used a bad brf agar recipe, so there's a lot of sediment. It may make it impossible to distinguish contams on the pics
20190804_140448.jpg
This is a bad one, yesterday there was only the white spot at 9 o'clock, but today there's one more at 12:30 near the place I transfered from. So I guess the transfers won't be much better.
20190804_140527.jpg
This is the one that seems fine to me so far. Would this be enough for four bags of spawn?

Btw pics uploaded upside down, what's up with that?

#13 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:42 AM

Where did you get the first agar to transfer?

If it is one you created on what date?

Really trying to help ya here 

Peace

EDIT: I may be wrong here, but by the dates of your posts that agar has only had transfers on it for 5 days?

Edited by crazy1, 04 August 2019 - 07:52 AM.

#14 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:12 AM

I think both plates were transfered on the same day, but for some reason I wrote 30th on the top one and 31st on the second one. I have another possibly healthy plate, but there's no ryzomorphic growth on it. I still kept the original five plates that I inoculated with the syringe, but they are a huge mess of mycelium by now.

#15 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

I was told by an experienced member that rhizo isn’t the only goal. I was heart broken cause none of my plates were looking like the beauties people post. It wasn’t till I grew out my 4th transfer on a set of plates that the picture perfect rhizo growth emerged. Not sure if that is normal or not, just saying don’t get disheartened.

#16 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:00 PM

So your first was spores to agar correct?

That is just an insane amount of growth for only 4-5 days in my opinion. And 1 plate is about enough for 1 grain spawn bag. The only other way to expand it, once good and clean is to make an LC out of it.

And you ran into a common thing there misfit, sometimes we get it the first time, sometimes the 10th -100th. All in the genetics we are able to isolate.

Peace

#17 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:30 PM

I'm not anywhere near disheartened, half the cakes are 100% colonized and I've just dunked the tiny cake and built a fc for it out of a plastic bottle. :D

And the pics are from the second transfer actually, I got it wrong. Now, I'm thinking of making the spawn bags with only 1,3 litres of grain. That way they'll fit my sab, I have more bags in case of one going bad, and once they're colonized I can just add substrate to each bag. Good idea? And since there won't be too much grain in a bag, can I just use the fast plate and divide it among three bags?

#18 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

That type of grow has been done with success before. And the inoculation will be very light still at that rate. 

#19 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:24 PM

Well, now I realise I probably shloud've went for grain to grain. I'm not sure what to do now, wait more to see if the latest transfers end up healthy, or dump the good plate in a master grain jar. I have a 720 ml jar, would that be enough for three bags?

#20 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:12 AM

If you have 1 good plate, you're sure is clean, then yes go for it.

But you'll need to cut it up into as many small pieces as you can. The more the myc is damaged, the more it strives to expand. This is the theory behind a stir plate, constant motion tearing the myc apart.

So if you can, hopefully there is room in the grain jar you have, cut the small pieces up, add them to the jar and shake it vigorously to incorperate the agar/myc through the grain and see how it goes from there.

Good vibes to you

Peace

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!