• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:39 PM

So I prepared and sterilized an oat jar last night and came today to inoculate, but when I took the agar I saw that what yesterday looked like a clean plate now has something growing on almost all surfaces not covered by mycelium. Now I got tired of all this agar shenanigans and just took the jar to inoculate it with a spore syringe. Then I realised that the jar looks like it got penetrated by steam through the tape-covered holes, they were wet and there was a lot of water on the jar walls. I placed tin foil around the lid, but I guess I should've used a rubber band to secure it better.

I didn't make an injection point because I figured I'd use it for agar (even though I thought about doing it just in case), so I just injected it through the medical tape, then taped again over it. I almost stabbed myself trying to get the cap off the syringe, because the cap was stuck and I had trouble removing it, without removing the entire needle of the syringe. The needle went through the rubber glove I was wearing, but missed the finger.

As for agar, I maybe have 4-5 unused plates left. I have ten more coming, but since I had to order them from China, it may take longer than a month if unlucky.

#22 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:21 PM

Are you still doing your work in open air? If so, making a simple still air box would be well worth the time and improve the chances of getting clean transfers (reduce airborne contamination.)

#23 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:53 PM

I never did any work in open air! I said I have a sab twice already.

#24 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:35 AM

Sometimes people, like me, overlook somethings they read. With your contam rate something is going wrong, so it was an easy guess that you may have been working in open air.

Not sure how you prepared your oat jar, but wish you the best of luck with it

Peace

• ElPirana likes this

#25 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:29 AM

I didn't mean to be rude, I appreciate everyone trying to help. While sterilizing the needle and seeing how long it took to get it red hot, I came to the conclusion that my problem is most probably due to not sterilizing the scalpel properly. I don't think I kept it in the flame long enough, and probably the angle I held it at was wrong. Other probability is that I'm just too slow in the sab, keeping plates open for too long, dropping them etc. The last transfer I was much faster and was closing the dishes immediately after taking/dropping the agar, but the scalpel was still suspect.
  • crazy1 likes this

#26 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:45 AM

I never did any work in open air! I said I have a sab twice already.

Sorry man! I had gone through the thread before making my post and had missed it.

You might also look at how you built your still air box. Back when I made mine, I came across a post somewhere of someone experimenting with different size holes for your arms. When the holes are larger, there is less air moving in and out of the box when you insert or remove your arm, for example if you pull your arm out of the SAB to heat the scalpel, air is sucked into the SAB to displace the volume of your arm that’s being removed. When the hole is larger, even though the same amount of air has to move into the box, it does so more gently and it keeps from mixing up the air inside the box as much. (Imagine the water coming out of a hose, then cover the opening slightly with your thumb and the same volume of water comes out more forcefully...same concept.)
  • crazy1 likes this

#27 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:03 AM

You're all good my friend, we're just trying to help you out. 

Pirana made a good point about the SAB arm holes. I have no experience with them, so I am also learning here.

Keep working at it, you/we will find the source of the contamsand helpyou move forward in this amazing hobby

Peace

#28 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:56 PM

So I have this tiny cake going in this bottle. I think the humidity is low, there's virtually no condensation and the walls go dry in just a few hours if I unscrew the cap half way.
20190808_204856.jpg
20190808_204840.jpg

This jar was at 99% four days ago, but this tiny bit at the bottom hasn't moved since. Sign of contam maybe?
20190808_215514.jpg

I'm also having a third attempt at a bufotenine extraction. I could start a thread about that, people might find my fumbling funny, maybe learn not to repeat my mistakes. Last extraction ended when I fucked up the last step. I just had to evaporate the solvent. Sounds easy, right? I took it on the balcony and put the dish inside a bag to protect it from the wind and random debris, like I always do. I came this morning to find a receipt, which was left in the bag, stuck to the dish, with all of the ink dissolved all over.

#29 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:49 AM

Two of the slowest cakes finally colonized. Should I wait a week from now and birth all the cakes together? Also, would anyone give their opinion on uncolonized spots at the bottom of these two jars? They are stuck like that for 6 days. I could birth them separately, try to cut out the uncolonized parts.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190810_165525.jpg
  • 20190810_165432.jpg

#30 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:20 PM

I birthed the cakes yesterday and threw away two that weren't colonized. Once I cut them I saw that half of one was completely uncolonized, and the other one looked like it failed to consolidate. I buried them in the woods under some leaves and twigs and poured water on them and today as I walked by there was mycelium growing on a twig. I forgot to take a picture. Should I water the pile from time to time or just leave it?

I finally had a good agar plate so I inoculated three bags by way of liquid inoculant. I struggled in the sab as usual, first bag got only water, while the third one ended up with most of the agar pieces. I'll post pics of the bags once they start colonizing and we'll see if they end up in contam city.

And the ms jar is going slow, if it colonizes I'll see how I use it, for g2g or maybe just spawn it in a shoebox.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190815_210620.jpg

#31 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:42 PM

20190820_145733.jpg
First pins. <3

I shook the ms jar two days ago, it recovered nicely. The bags are going along pretty fast, I couldn't get a good picture from where they are and I didn't want to disturb them. They should be ready for shaking pretty soon and I'll take some pics before and after.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190820_211828.jpg

Edited by NatureIsMagic, 20 August 2019 - 04:43 PM.

#32 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:57 AM

I forgot to take a picture of the third bag before I shook it. It was maybe 30% colonized. The bag on the right was at 90%, but I still gave it a good massage to see if it recovers. Curiously, the bag that received almost all of the agar wedges was not the fastest one and while mycelium grew on the agar it did not spread that much to the grains.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190821_163038.jpg

#33 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:12 PM

The cakes are going strong, I'll be harvesting pretty soon.
20190823_195549.jpg

As for the bags, there's a plot twist. The slowest bag was first to finish, while the fastest one still has a small bit to go. The bags colonized in only 8 days, that's much faster than what I read on the forums. A quart jar finishing in 6 days is considered fast, and each bag has about two jars worth of grains.

I'm guessing it's fine to leave them where they are for another 4-5 days, I won't have enough time to spawn them before.

#34 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:35 AM

I'm guessing it's fine to leave them where they are for another 4-5 days, I won't have enough time to spawn them before.&&0){for(var>)throw>

Yes, you'll be fine leaving them for a few days, no worries there

Peace

#35 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:59 AM

That's good to hear.

Anyway, the shrooms are starting to break their veils, even though they are tiny. There's barely 18 grams wet from the pictures. Apparently I misted too hard. All the advice I could find is "mist when needed". How do I know when they are ready for a good mist? I have no idea other than to touch the cakes to see how wet they are and I don't like that idea.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190824_135943.jpg
  • 20190824_052635.jpg

#36 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:58 PM

First flush of the cakes ended up at 160 grams wet from 12 jars. Tomorrow evening I'm going to enjoy the fruits of my labor. :D

As for the bags, two of them had some myc piss and thick growth so I think there were some bacteria. I added spawn to them anyway. I used half a coir brick and a litre of verm, but forgot to adjust the water so I ended up way way over field capacity. I added a ton of verm, but it didn't help much. I had to sacrifice a bed sheet and squeezed the hell out of it, my forearms were very sore when I finally got it to field capacity.

I seem to have managed to fuck up something every step of the way so far. As always, I'm not too optimistic about the outcome, but I still have half a brick left and 2-3 litres of verm so I'll do four more bags and hopefully have less mishaps.
  • crazy1 and RainbowCatepillar like this

#37 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:08 AM

These are the bags less than 24 hours later. Specs of mycelium are already on their way. I've read that the 0,2 micron patch is not enough for fruiting so I'm thinking on adding more polyfill-stuffed holes once they're ready to fruit. Advice?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190827_123114.jpg

#38 DustStorm

DustStorm

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:19 AM

These are the bags less than 24 hours later. Specs of mycelium are already on their way. I've read that the 0,2 micron patch is not enough for fruiting so I'm thinking on adding more polyfill-stuffed holes once they're ready to fruit. Advice?

Here's a thread about the 0.2 micron patch for colonizing the bags: https://mycotopia.ne...n-filter-patch/

Might find some info there, Casualty seemed to have created a good discussion to pull an idea or two from, and the posters afterwards.

I guess if they survive and you didn't screw anything up along the way(the bags look a bit too moist on my screen, but that's probably just my eyes, not trying to jinx), you should be good to go for cutting holes in them after full colonization, and just fruiting them from the bag.

• NatureIsMagic likes this

#39 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:06 PM

Yeah, they could be too moist, there's a lot of condensation and it's pretty hard to see what's going on in there. There's also substrate stuck on the walls of the bags that's blocking the view.

But I had a nice trip today from 3 grams so all is well. :)

#40 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:48 AM

I had a dream last night that two of the bags stalled and the more I was looking at them, the less mycelium there was.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!