• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:33 PM

Two bags look like they could be ready to fruit, but I'm not sure. The substrate isn't 100% covered with mycelium, but from the pictures I've seen, it's not supposed to be? I tried taking pics, but absolutely nothing can be seen through the bags on the pics. I could open the bags to take the pics, but I'd rather not.

So the question is, if I put them in fruiting conditions now (cut holes and put them in a room with lots of daylight) and it turns out they're not ready yet, can I harm them in any way, or is it fine? Is there such a thing as premature pinning, or will they just do their thing in their own time?

#42 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:52 PM

The holes have been cut and the bags are in the designated grow area. It's getting crouded in there, but it'll have to do. I haven't used the light bulb yet because of the occasional heat waves I feared it might get too hot in there.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190901_225656.jpg

• crazy1 likes this

#43 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

Second flush ended at about 150 grams wet. Some cakes started pinning again before others were finished. I left them for a few days, but the pins weren't growing, nor did they abort, so I just plucked them all and dunked the cakes.

Couple of cakes had really big 30-40 gram flushes, others barely had a few pins that either aborted or were really really tiny once their veil broke.

As for the bags, they still aren't pinning. I can't see any contams, but there's a lot less condensation on the bag walls than a week or so ago. I've no idea wether this is a good or bad  thing and I'm not sure if I should start worrying yet.

#44 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

The cakes actually pinned during the dunk! There are many many tiny pins, far too many to have missed them when I plucked them before the dunk. I hope that this is a sign of a BIG third fush. :)

• TVCasualty and crazy1 like this

#45 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

Great news! The bags are finally pinning.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190910_181418.jpg
  • 20190910_181441.jpg
  • 20190910_181534.jpg

• crazy1 likes this

#46 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:53 PM

Fuck ups continue as today I managed to break two jars while trying to make liquid inoculant. I also wasted almost all the agar plates that I had. The first jar cracked slightly while it was pc-ed. I noticed the crack, but didn't realise what it was. As I shook the jar, the bottom just fell off and all the water and agar spilled on my lap.

The second jar, for some reason I throught it was a good idea to add two nails to the jar to break up the agar. I wanted to do the same with the first jar, but forgot. I got all of the mycelium off the agar, but the puck was still in one piece. I thought, let's shake some more and bam, the jar breaks, this time at least it was above the sink.

I have two plates left, one barely started growing yesterday, five days after the transfer, the other one looks like it could be usable in a couple of days. If I fail again, I'll have to make some big ms syringes.

While I wait, should I store the sterilized bags in the fridge? They are in my sab atm.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!