• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:33 PM

Two bags look like they could be ready to fruit, but I'm not sure. The substrate isn't 100% covered with mycelium, but from the pictures I've seen, it's not supposed to be? I tried taking pics, but absolutely nothing can be seen through the bags on the pics. I could open the bags to take the pics, but I'd rather not.

So the question is, if I put them in fruiting conditions now (cut holes and put them in a room with lots of daylight) and it turns out they're not ready yet, can I harm them in any way, or is it fine? Is there such a thing as premature pinning, or will they just do their thing in their own time?

#42 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:52 PM

The holes have been cut and the bags are in the designated grow area. It's getting crouded in there, but it'll have to do. I haven't used the light bulb yet because of the occasional heat waves I feared it might get too hot in there.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190901_225656.jpg

• crazy1 likes this

#43 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

Second flush ended at about 150 grams wet. Some cakes started pinning again before others were finished. I left them for a few days, but the pins weren't growing, nor did they abort, so I just plucked them all and dunked the cakes.

Couple of cakes had really big 30-40 gram flushes, others barely had a few pins that either aborted or were really really tiny once their veil broke.

As for the bags, they still aren't pinning. I can't see any contams, but there's a lot less condensation on the bag walls than a week or so ago. I've no idea wether this is a good or bad  thing and I'm not sure if I should start worrying yet.

#44 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

The cakes actually pinned during the dunk! There are many many tiny pins, far too many to have missed them when I plucked them before the dunk. I hope that this is a sign of a BIG third fush. :)

• TVCasualty and crazy1 like this

#45 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

Great news! The bags are finally pinning.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190910_181418.jpg
  • 20190910_181441.jpg
  • 20190910_181534.jpg

• crazy1 likes this

#46 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:53 PM

Fuck ups continue as today I managed to break two jars while trying to make liquid inoculant. I also wasted almost all the agar plates that I had. The first jar cracked slightly while it was pc-ed. I noticed the crack, but didn't realise what it was. As I shook the jar, the bottom just fell off and all the water and agar spilled on my lap.

The second jar, for some reason I throught it was a good idea to add two nails to the jar to break up the agar. I wanted to do the same with the first jar, but forgot. I got all of the mycelium off the agar, but the puck was still in one piece. I thought, let's shake some more and bam, the jar breaks, this time at least it was above the sink.

I have two plates left, one barely started growing yesterday, five days after the transfer, the other one looks like it could be usable in a couple of days. If I fail again, I'll have to make some big ms syringes.

While I wait, should I store the sterilized bags in the fridge? They are in my sab atm.

#47 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:42 PM

While I've been slowly harvesting the ms bag over the past week, the other three bags are taking their sweet ass time. This big boy is the first shroom that broke it's veil, others are still short and fat pins.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190922_124458.jpg

#48 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:48 AM

Third flush of the cakes ended up underperforming. They all got the verm and it might've spread to the bags.

As for the bags, first flush ended up yielding about 650g wet combined. I don't have my notes with me. It could've been more, but as I was picking the last bag I noticed that one mushroom was completely overgrown with green stuff. I panicked since I had it in open air and quickly picked some bigger shrooms and tossed it out. I picked maybe a third of the bag for 72g. Had I not panicked, I could've easily harvested most of it outside, as the contam was localised. It's burried in the woods now, so there still may be a flush or two out of it.

And the ms bag yielded about 160g wet, which is on par with the cakes.

Also, I inoculated four more bags before getting the contaminated bag out, so hopefully they end up ok.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!