• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LooseBowman

LooseBowman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:40 AM

Ok I am in no way qualified to lead the charge here. I am still learning about this topic. One of the threads I followed on Shroomery was the Official Georgia Actives 2019. It's where I learned about what grows in my area and when to be looking based on the finds of others. Since I do not see such a thread here on 'Topia I figured I would start one. Here's my first ever "real" find (I'm not counting those weak gymnopilus-luteofolius). Psilocybe cubensis I found last week and have harvested more every couple of days since. I've collected probably 150 grams fresh so far. Though every time I reweigh the total amount it's lighter. These were in West Central Georgia. What are you guys finding out there?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190725_121755.jpg
  • IMG_20190725_112855.jpg
  • IMG_20190725_121819.jpg

• coorsmikey, Thacan and ItBeBasidia like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:03 AM

Glad to see you taking the initiative to start this. I saw you talking about the topic in another post and thought to myself that would be good if you just started your own thread. I don't have much add currently but I hope it take off for you! I'll keep an eye out for info specific to Georgia!

• LooseBowman likes this

#3 LooseBowman

LooseBowman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:00 PM

Thanks Coors you've been very welcoming, as has everyone on behalf of 'Topia thus far. I'm a little surprised that more participants from that Shroomery thread haven't found their way over. I'm also surprised that there aren't more ID requests in general. That was a big way I was learning was by looking at all of the requests every day. There were new ones coming in all the time.
  • Boebs likes this

#4 LooseBowman

LooseBowman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:21 AM

Judging by the popularity of this thread I must be the only mushroom hunter left in the state of Georgia! Just kidding. So I revisited that same pasture every couple of days for a week. The perfect weather conditions went away for the most part. But we did receive a few more rain showers. The amount of cubensis that I was finding became less and less. I also explored a bigger range of pasture. It seems that the first spot that I found was the main area. Yesterday was my last day of work for this job. So it was also one of the last times I'll have a good reason to be near this pasture. I do happen to live only ten minutes away from it so maybe I'll end up there again some day, just without a legit reason. This morning I've decided to dehydrate all that I've harvested (minus the fresh ones I've eaten lol). I know I should have been drying them as fresh as possible but I just waited a week so it would be worth getting the dehydrator out of storage. I weighed the total amount at 93 grams. Obviously they have been losing weight in the fridge this whole time. I always weighed the new harvests and if I put all of those totals together there were probably 150ish grams fresh. So I'm curious to what weight I'll end up with dry. Here's the before pic. I'm running them in an Excalibur dehydrator on the lowest setting, 105 degrees F.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190803_075931.jpg

#5 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,670 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:38 AM

The big advantage shroomery has over this place is the shear volume of users. Things around here tend to happen at a slower pace which is fine by me.

But it can make getting IDs from wild finds a little slow to be practical

We also typically discourage people from disclosing their locations, which is why you probably didn't find any state specific threads.

Making a more general South East edibles thread might get you a little more love, I know of several old timers that are a little further south.

I'd probably have more to contribute here, but I left GA a decade ago and haven't looked back since. :cool:

Edited by dead head jed, 03 August 2019 - 08:38 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!